Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner and PCM questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner and PCM questions.

2010 150 screw, FX2 5.4, I have a SCT Flash tuner 3015 with 3 custom tunes from Jason Starkey at VMP Tuning.

Question is have any of you on here had problems with tuners burning up the PCMs in you trucks?

I had tuned mine back in June with a preloaded SCT tune. Went to change tune to one of my custom tunes, went through all the steps. When the tuner was done, truck would not start and showed check engine light. Checked code and it showed something like V0100 which was a PCM lost communication. Towed to Dealership, and to make a long story short, 2 months later, new PCM and truck back in my possession.

Well fast forward to 10-22-14, same thing. Went to tune my truck with new tunes from VMP from preloaded tune and BAM same thing. Truck dead, tow to dealership and same trouble code. Spoke with tech that worked on my truck from last go around, and he straight up asked if the truck had been programmed, said it was to coincidental that a month later my truck is back with the same problem.
I first told him it was not tuned, but after a long lengthy discussion and a couple quick tests, still no go with my truck and I came forward about the tune. Tech said the tuners were actually bad for the PCMs because it burns them up.
I have never heard of anyone having this problem with a tuner, but hey I don't know everything.

What do you guys think? Any insight?
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:00 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

I don't think so. If that's the case then everybody that has multiple tunes for their trucks would be dead in the water and at least 20 PCM's into it so far. Sounds like you have something else going on with your truck. Maybe a short in the OBD wires that send info to your PCM.

I know that the guy I just sold my X4 to hasn't had any problems on his 11 Eco. He's waiting on some tunes from MPT I think.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I said its the first time I have heard of this problem, and its kinda strange that it did happen twice while using my tuner. Have had two very lengthy calls with SCT about this problem, they don't have a clue if it could be the problem with the tuner or not. They said the were forwarding everything to the engineering team, and would send me a "case number" when they have it. Haven't seen it yet though.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:20 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

SCT is pretty good with customer service from everything I've been seeing. Not sure if they're good enough for re-embursment though, lol.

Quick Reply: Tuner and PCM questions.