Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSB: Moaning sound from Drive to Park and back

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 04:31 PM

Received 518 Likes on 283 Posts

Default TSB: Moaning sound from Drive to Park and back

I'm experiencing a moaning sound when going from Park to Drive and Drive to Park. The duration of the noise is about 3-5 seconds and it, of course, happens intermittently. I hear it sometimes when going to Reverse from either Park or Drive. Dship has been trying to figure it out for the past three weeks. They did a max pressure test/reset and it fixed it for a day or two. Fortunately, if you are experiencing this issue, there is a TSB that was released last week. My dship just notified me that a valve has to be replaced. The valve is on back order, so it may be a few days before the part will come to your dship. So, the good news is Ford recognizes it as a problem. Let your dship know if you are experiencing this issue and they should have a fix for it. The noise sounds like an old man getting out of bed in the morning. I don't know if this is a 5.0 vs Ecoboost issue. I have the latter.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:37 AM
SS..DD

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rohada
I'm experiencing a moaning sound when going from Park to Drive and Drive to Park. The duration of the noise is about 3-5 seconds and it, of course, happens intermittently. I hear it sometimes when going to Reverse from either Park or Drive. Dship has been trying to figure it out for the past three weeks. They did a max pressure test/reset and it fixed it for a day or two. Fortunately, if you are experiencing this issue, there is a TSB that was released last week. My dship just notified me that a valve has to be replaced. The valve is on back order, so it may be a few days before the part will come to your dship. So, the good news is Ford recognizes it as a problem. Let your dship know if you are experiencing this issue and they should have a fix for it. The noise sounds like an old man getting out of bed in the morning. I don't know if this is a 5.0 vs Ecoboost issue. I have the latter.
My dealership plays dumb most days - anyone have a number for this?
Old 08-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

We have a ton of brand new trucks at my dealership that currently make this noise. Sounds like it could be the beginning of a common issue. My personal truck is quiet but quite a few trucks at work make the noise.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HCFX2013
We have a ton of brand new trucks at my dealership that currently make this noise. Sounds like it could be the beginning of a common issue. My personal truck is quiet but quite a few trucks at work make the noise.
Was anything found on this issue???
Old 08-18-2014, 11:26 AM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Wow, I have this exact same issue!

I was narrowing it down to the vacuum pump though. What I found is that it seems to occur when you park on a grade and use the E-brake. What I believed was happening is that the "hill holder" feature is engaging (due to the grade) and when you put it in "park" the engine goes to lower idle and therefore the vacuum pump kicks on to maintain brake pressure.

Of course all that is just a guess on my part trying to narrow down what's going on. What is the TSB for this "valve" issue.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:29 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
...anyone have a number for this?
Hi gang,

Your dealership's service manager will be the best resource for information about TSBs. They'll run the VIN in our system and let you know if any service actions are applicable to your vehicle.

Crystal
Old 08-18-2014, 04:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f2/2013-fx...o-park-237502/

Reference the thread above. I had the same noise coming from my 13' screw xlt with ecoboost. The TSB number should be in that thread. They had to replace some valve bodies in the trans and that fixed my problem of hearing the noise when shifting into park on an incline. I still hear a slight groan every once in awhile when the trans fluid is cold but hasn't given me any problems. I have about 30,000 miles on my truck at this point.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by jp1170
https://www.f150forum.com/f2/2013-fx...o-park-237502/

Reference the thread above. I had the same noise coming from my 13' screw xlt with ecoboost. The TSB number should be in that thread. They had to replace some valve bodies in the trans and that fixed my problem of hearing the noise when shifting into park on an incline. I still hear a slight groan every once in awhile when the trans fluid is cold but hasn't given me any problems. I have about 30,000 miles on my truck at this point.
Thanks! Not sure the description fits, but here's the TSB:

TSB 13-4-15
DELAYED FORWARD OR REVERSE TRANSMISSION ENGAGEMENT WHEN COLD
Old 08-26-2014, 09:57 AM

I've been suffering this same issue as well and finally captured it on video. Turn your speakers up and witness the problem first hand. A few observations:
  • This was going from Drive to Park after decent commute (definitely warmed up and at operating temp).
  • The previously mentioned transmission coolant line is vibrating significantly while this moan is active.
  • At the 1:20 mark the moan mysteriously disappears and can't be recreated.
  • When the video starts the problem/sound is already present (sounds like a lawnmower initially).
  • I started the vid in portrait view, then turned my phone sideways and unfortunately the camera app didn't adjust.

Last edited by xcntrk; 08-26-2014 at 10:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rmorris1953 (12-09-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 02:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

xcntrk, I have the same exact issue. My truck has done this same thing, I too narrowed it down to the transmission coolant line, exactly like you did when the moan stayed constant after parking.

Were you able to fix it? With what TSB?

My moan is audible during acceleration below 2,000 RPMs as well. Usually between 1, 2, and 3rd gears. The constant moaning after parking has only happened three times.

Quick Reply: TSB: Moaning sound from Drive to Park and back