Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The truth about front leveling kits - tough on bearings and alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 01:22 PM

Received 347 Likes on 187 Posts

Default The truth about front leveling kits - tough on bearings and alignment?

I would like some real info on front end leveling kits for an '09 scab

I spoke with an alignment guy at my local tire shop. He has been in the business quite a while He claims that the front end leveling kits are tough on bearings and the front and that alignment is never really right?

I see a ton of posts on here though where you guys and gals have done a front level. My truck is my daily driver and I don't have a lot of money to throw at upgrades nor fixing or continually fixing things if it goes to crap.

So what gives. Is my alignment guy just not informed. Is it a hit or miss thing, does it depend on what kit or type of level you have done?

Thanks
Old 08-20-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 189 Likes on 119 Posts

Your guy is exactly right. To lift a truck right, it costs a lot of money to keep the original front end geometry correct. Spacers are a half *** way of lifting a truck. At a minimum, to do it right, different coils should be used with some sort of differential drop bracket.

Then with a lifted truck, bigger tires are needed, which puts additional strain on the wheel bearings and upper and lower ball joints. This then needs new control arms that have more articulation. It's a slippery slope with lifts.

Spacers are popular because there cheap. But I always say, it's too expensive to be cheap. You're going to pay for it somewhere along the lines. Cry once and do it right the first time with the proper parts.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:39 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Agree with snobdds, a true lift kit is the least stressful as it maintains oem suspension geometry, however,... larger tires will have no affect on the bearings any more than factory tire sizes, while it is a bit more unsprung weight and inertial forces while driving, it should not shorten the life of the bearing, if any thing it will just hasten a defective bearing to fail sooner rather than later.

Maybe on older trucks that still used the tapered inner and outer bearings it is more prevalent, todays trucks utilize 1 piece bearings that are much more hardy.

Out of balance tires will wreak more havoc than anything followed by worn out shocks and/or bushings.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:42 PM

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I leveled my last truck (09) and ran it 96k miles without any failures or unusual tire wear. I think any damage depends on usage. On road driving really doesn't tax out your suspension, vs. off road wheeling can really stress all components.

You don't need larger tires with a leveled truck, and minimally taller tires don't impact the front end as much as wider tires.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:58 PM

Thanks, that is what I wanted to know. I found out a while ago that going cheap usually isn't a good idea.

I am thinking about putting 265/70/17's on vs. the 235 stock Hankooks. I can live without a lift as it is only a cosmetic thing.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by IAJack
I can live without a lift as it is only a cosmetic thing.
Not entirely, ground clearance for off road and high water makes a lift very utilitarian. One of the main reasons I lifted mine, when we get hit with a tropical storm or hurricane, water builds up fast as the pumps can only handle so much/hour. My alternator sits all the way on the bottom of the engine and would not fair well under water I think.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Not entirely, ground clearance for off road and high water makes a lift very utilitarian. One of the main reasons I lifted mine, when we get hit with a tropical storm or hurricane, water builds up fast as the pumps can only handle so much/hour. My alternator sits all the way on the bottom of the engine and would not fair well under water I think.

OK true, for many it is a cosmetic thing and right now I dont need it.

BTW Rnlcomp, my best friend lives in Metairie. We love visiting there but I don't think I would want to live there. Tornadoes are better than hurricanes IMHO.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:18 PM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

If you're driving on roads, never/rarely ever off road and you keep the truck aligned, you should be ok. The stress comes from the constant suspension abuse of hard bumps etc.

My truck is leveled, but I am very easy when going over speed bumps and any time I have to drive on a dirt road. It's purely a street set up too. Only reason I went with a 4x4 was for resale value and it's nice to have when it's raining and the roads are slick.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by IAJack
OK true, for many it is a cosmetic thing and right now I dont need it.

BTW Rnlcomp, my best friend lives in Metairie. We love visiting there but I don't think I would want to live there. Tornadoes are better than hurricanes IMHO.

I lived in "Metry" a few years, too hectic and crowded these days, I prefer the westbank.

Hurricane you can run from, a tornado pops down on top of you and you're boned.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:02 PM
HOPEFUL

Received 266 Likes on 197 Posts

ok, so here is my take on the matter. Ford upper ball joints SUCK to begin with. they start to develop play in them at very low mileage (gotta love a "sealed for life" ball joint) Adding a spacer changes the geometry and thus wears them even faster. add in heavier wheels and tires and it wears even faster. change the wheel offset/back spacing and you're putting more leverage on those already crappy joints and they wear out EVEN FASTER.

so yes adding a leveling kit is bad for our trucks. but it sure does look good before it causes problems

those who say they've had a level on for years and no issues, probably dont realize how much play there is in the ball joints. just as a for instance: we have a 2013 Raptor in the shop right now, 31k miles. never seen dirt, both upper ball joints have up/down play in them. not much, but enough that it failed safety inspection. and this is a truck that is "designed" for the bigger heavier tires and lift. I wish I could keep track of how many F150 control arms we do in the shop.

Quick Reply: The truth about front leveling kits - tough on bearings and alignment?