Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trucks been in the shop for over 2 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 09:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trucks been in the shop for over 2 weeks

Hey guys,

I just bought my 2013 Lariat EcoScrew about 2 months ago.

on October 30th I was on the highway driving as usual when I noticed the truck acting kinda funny, almost as if its clunking in to an extra gear but I'm on the highway and the truck is already in 6th. I got off the highway to get some food and as I was slowing down I noticed that the truck was almost limping and bucking.

I finally limped in to a McDonalds parking lot and the truck just stalled out. I started her back up and the motor is idling fine, I revved it up and it gave me no problems, I checked for codes and there were none. I put the truck back in to drive to be on my way and she just bucked and stalled out again. I tried drive and reverse and either way the truck would just clunk in to gear and stall out.

I had the truck towed to Ford near my house and it's now been there for almost 3 weeks. They swapped out the converter thinking it was that and that didn't fix the problem. They are telling me they have been in touch with Ford and they did some troubleshooting to see if it was a tranny issue and the tranny checked out fine. They are now telling me they aren't sure where to go from here.

In the mean time my rear defroster hasn't been working so they were going to replace the rear glass and that hasn't showed up yet either. So basically almost 3 weeks and a converter later and my new to me truck is still where it was when I dropped it off there. In the mean time they have me putting around in a focus (which I can't stand).

I was just wondering if anyone has any insight on what may be causing the stalling.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:25 AM

Received 210 Likes on 167 Posts

Miles would help definitely. Doubt its a cat, unless you have a lot of mileage. Those don't usually implode. Possibly a fuel pump, some kind of starvation. Throttle, ECU. No telling without DTC's or something.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:27 AM

The truck only has 33,000 on it. It idles fine when in park or neutral so i dont think its a cat or pump. you can rev it up in park or neutral and everything is running fine. It's just that when you put it in any gear (drive or reverse) it bucks then immediately stalls out.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:33 AM

Well usually there is the most load in drive, this is how we check for misfires with coils, foot on brake and gas. If there isn't enough fuel delivery, it will buck and stall. Or if the throttle has unlearned its idle procedure or anything along those means it will do the same. If A/F ratio isn't perfect, your gonna have a bad time.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:41 AM

Yeah i get what you're saying but what would cause that out of nowhere?

I am kinda thinking thats not the case only because of the things i felt as I was griving on the highway. It felt like once the truck would shift in to 6th the whole drivetrain would clunk again (almost as if the transmission is being separated from the motor then bumping back in to plac.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:56 AM

Yah but tranny issues wont cause the car to die. If anything it will rev higher due to zero friction from clutch plates causing no resistance. It's going to be either PCM related or air/fuel/spark
Old 11-18-2015, 11:05 AM

I was able to get the truck to go once the tow truck dropped me off at the dealer. i had to put in drive and get on the pedal right away for it to move. I couldn't drive it much but it felt like the truck was stuck in a tall gear.

What you're saying makes sense. We'll see what the dealer has to say about it.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:08 AM

Good luck! They prolly don't know much about the Eco is the issue. Fairly new motor.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:19 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonShant
I was able to get the truck to go once the tow truck dropped me off at the dealer. i had to put in drive and get on the pedal right away for it to move. I couldn't drive it much but it felt like the truck was stuck in a tall gear.

What you're saying makes sense. We'll see what the dealer has to say about it.
Hi BostonShant,

I want to look into this further. Please send me a private message with your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan
Old 11-20-2015, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know but if it makes you feel any better my 2012 Lariat 4x4 had been in shop for 3 weeks. Had a front axle issue, they replaced spindle bearings, same roaring issue at low speeds. Replacing all gears in front differential. Last time I called I was told tech was taking his time because he had never done one before....I threw up a little bit....saying I am pissed is an understatement. So basically I have made a truck payment this month to drive a POS loaner 😡😡😡

Quick Reply: Trucks been in the shop for over 2 weeks