Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck won't start, a lock appears on dash

Old 01-18-2010, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Truck won't start, a lock appears on dash

My wife called from home to tell me that our '09 F150 won't start. She initially tried with the remote start, than with each of the two keys. when using a key lights and dash would power up but it would not attempt to turn over and a symbol of a car facing her and lock would appear. What do those symbols mean? Is it indicating that the vehicle is attempting to start with a key without the chip inside?
The truck got a viper, I believe, starter put in it about two months ago by a reputable installer. It has worked great from day one. Any help before I go home tonight would be appreciated.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Just another member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

That is the "anti theft indicator."

Is it glowing steadily? Could there be anything interfering with the electronics of the keys and or have you installed or changed anything recently (since last time its started? Good luck, hope you find out the why.. Thanks
Old 01-18-2010, 03:25 PM

Sounds like something is interfering with the Securilock system, possibly a loose connection from when they installed the remote start?
Old 01-18-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

i would call the installer and have them either come fix it where it sits or tow it to wherever they like...at their expense.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:03 PM

Thanks, anti-theft indicator. My wife said once she turned the key on the AT indicator would appear and stay on until she removed the key. as for changes or anything interferring I don't believe so. It started last night with key and neither of the keys have been anywhere else but the key rack.
I am also thinking, hoping actually, that it is something as simple as loose connection. Would any connection with the remote box trigger the AT indicator or just the by-pass module?
As for getting the installer to tow the truck. I live in a small town and the installer is in the city, 80 miles away. I'd better be sure it is the fault of the starter or installation before I demand action. There could be a fault in the truck itself.

Last edited by touque; 01-18-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-18-2010, 05:18 PM

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by touque
I live in a small town and the installer is in the city, 80 miles away. I'd better be sure it is the fault of the starter or installation before I demand action. There could be a fault in the truck itself.

I am willing to bet that had you not installed the alarm/remote start you would NOT be having this problem. I'm quite sure the issue IS related to the new parts.

I would definately call them and let them figure it out. You paid good money for this installation so let them fix it for you.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Hook'em Horns

Originally Posted by touque
Thanks, anti-theft indicator. My wife said once she turned the key on the AT indicator would appear and stay on until she removed the key. as for changes or anything interferring I don't believe so. It started last night with key and neither of the keys have been anywhere else but the key rack.
I am also thinking, hoping actually, that it is something as simple as loose connection. Would any connection with the remote box trigger the AT indicator or just the by-pass module?
As for getting the installer to tow the truck. I live in a small town and the installer is in the city, 80 miles away. I'd better be sure it is the fault of the starter or installation before I demand action. There could be a fault in the truck itself.
Something similar happened to me and I do not have remote start. This is what happened to me, I went to start my truck and nothing......the antitheft/security light was blinking rapidly which the manual states it has a problem and to try the other coded key, I did not have the other key with me so I tried everything else; took it out of Park and put it back in, locked and unlocked the doors with remote and keyless entry still nothing. Tried all of this several times and was ready to give up when I thought, why not tilt the wheel up and down just to try something else and bam it's all good and the truck started. Just a glitch????? Dealer stated he had never heard of this issue.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:09 AM
blue blood

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the remote start has a problem with pats it will keep trying to start and wont let you start it with a key .try turning off the remote start even if its not started or hit the brake you may need to wait a few minutes to start the veh.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:40 AM

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

I didn't see this asked of you but did you try both sets of keys? If the installer didn't program both sets correctly this would cause your issue. The PATS Bypass Module needs to know all keys associated with the truck and won't start it if it isn't registered with the module.

Last edited by Bob_Mac; 01-19-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:58 AM

I got home last night and attempted to start the truck and it started. The anti theft indicator did not appear. Thanks Dironk, that's interesting to know that the Ford trucks have done this. How long ago did this happen to you and has it done it since? I'm now worried that it may happen again but who knows where. I think my next step is to bring it up to the dealership, talk to a technician and get them to scan it and see what they find. I'm up in the city on Saturday, I think I'll stop by Futureshop and talk to one of the installers to see if they have heard of anything like this. If anyone else has any other related stories please tell.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck won't start, a lock appears on dash