Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck has no heat. Blend door actuator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 02:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Truck has no heat. Blend door actuator?

Hey all. Yesterday I was on the way home and noticed the heat stopped working. It just blows cool air. I tried to diagnose the problem and it seems to be a blend door actuator although I do not hear any clicking behind the dash.

I have the dash with manual temperature so does that mean I only have one blend door actuator and I would be able to get to it easier? Only taking the front of the radio bezel off. I also have the center console shifter so I may have to remove that.

What other possible issues besides the blend door could it be? thanks for the help, cold weather is setting in and it gets below freezing on the way to work.

Some notes:
The heat hoses are hot to touch (see picture)
The temperature gauge works fine. Engine temp in middle between c and h.
A/C still blows cold.
The different fan speeds (1,2,3,4) all blow their respective speeds.
Same for face, legs, Defrost, and back row vents. All blow cool air.

This hose is super hot

This is the same dash as me. Manual temperature single zone.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:33 AM

Received 136 Likes on 119 Posts

Or....your truck cop'd an attitude and won't give you any heat till you clean that gross engine bay.
The following users liked this post:
RES4CUE (10-21-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 08:04 AM
Some guy

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Yeah, either the blend door motor or the control board itself
Old 10-21-2015, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by RogueGT
Or....your truck cop'd an attitude and won't give you any heat till you clean that gross engine bay.
Lol can't help it, have to drive on dusty dirt roads!

Originally Posted by LaMartian
Yeah, either the blend door motor or the control board itself
Yeah i'm taking it in to get it checked out this weekend. Hopefully they only charge a couple hours of labor if it is only the blend door actuator.

In other news, finally got a toolbox. Full size husky carpet lined and a tray for $100! key included. I think it makes the truck look way better. Now just need level and tires.

Last edited by tkhuang; 10-21-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My blend door actuator went out over the summer, I had the opposite issue. Middle of June, stuck on full heat. Its a fairly inexpensive part, $50? Dont remember exactly. You'll need to remove the center dash bezel, and pull the radio. It sits on top the duct, and youll need to use one hand through the center of the dash and the other through the glovebox but its not terribly difficult. I think i had everything back together in about 1/2 hour.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:06 AM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

Most probably the actuator, should not be more than two hour labor plus parts. or you can but the part and do it yourself, it's a pain to get to, especially if you have a flow thru console.

I replaced the main blend door in my Mustang for the same issue. After I took out the bad one, I opened it to see what was in it. I could not believe that they were using, the motor has an aluminum gear, and the rest of the gears are nylon. Aluminum on nylon, no wonder those things strip like crazy and stop working.

Last edited by soaringfalcon; 10-22-2015 at 09:37 AM. Reason: punctuation is important
Old 10-23-2015, 11:04 PM

Thanks guys, I am most likely going to pay a shop to do it. $200 is cheap enough to save me the headache of doing it myself. I'm not home right now and have no tools or a driveway to do it in.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:23 AM

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Alcoheroe
My blend door actuator went out over the summer, I had the opposite issue. Middle of June, stuck on full heat. Its a fairly inexpensive part, $50? Dont remember exactly. You'll need to remove the center dash bezel, and pull the radio. It sits on top the duct, and youll need to use one hand through the center of the dash and the other through the glovebox but its not terribly difficult. I think i had everything back together in about 1/2 hour.
Replaced mine (Blend door actuator) Ordered it from Advanced Auto Parts. It was only around $26-28? And I got a life time warranty on it. I have the receipt in my truck for it still. I'll try and take a look at it tomorrow if I remember.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:47 PM

Auto repair place told me it was $500 to fix it even though i told them it was right behind the radio. Decided to do it myself and took around 4 hours. (including two trips to advance auto parts and lunch). Was a pain in the *** to do but glad its done. Heat blows hot again! Just in time for this cold VA weather.
The following 2 users liked this post by tkhuang:
Manuellabour247 (10-24-2015), RES4CUE (10-24-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 07:34 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Good info if mine goes out this year. Lol.

Quick Reply: Truck has no heat. Blend door actuator?