Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck dies after fillup, but starts right back up

Old 08-12-2011, 06:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Truck dies after fillup, but starts right back up

Last few fill ups, my truck started something new. Once I'm done filling up, start the truck up to leave...starts fine runs fine...first stop I come to, it dies. Turn the key to restart it, cranks right up like nothing ever happened. I bought a fuel filter thinking I would replace that, but I can't find one to replace. Could it be trash in the tank? I still have to drop the tank to replace the fuel sending unit so I guess I will find out. Any thoughts? Any one have this problem before? 2009 SCREW 5.4L 2wd
Old 08-12-2011, 07:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 09f150guy
Last few fill ups, my truck started something new. Once I'm done filling up, start the truck up to leave...starts fine runs fine...first stop I come to, it dies. Turn the key to restart it, cranks right up like nothing ever happened. I bought a fuel filter thinking I would replace that, but I can't find one to replace. Could it be trash in the tank? I still have to drop the tank to replace the fuel sending unit so I guess I will find out. Any thoughts? Any one have this problem before? 2009 SCREW 5.4L 2wd
My "guess" would be something with the EVAP system. Take it to the dealer your not going to throw parts at it and figure it out.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by rlh6805
My "guess" would be something with the EVAP system. Take it to the dealer your not going to throw parts at it and figure it out.
only problem, it doesnt throw any codes, so the dealer is just going to throw parts at it until they fix it...at a pretty nice price.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had this happen, but usually it was hard to start as well.
I have an excessive vacuum problem that has caused by fuel tank to collapse.
Dunno if that could be influencing your situation.
Has your mpg decreased?
My 1st post with photo of collapsed tank here
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/new-gu...ations-107053/
Rich
Old 08-12-2011, 10:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Overfilled and saturated your EVAP canister. The charcoal filter that keeps fumes under control. This causes codes only sometimes from what I understand. You may not have gotten it too bad and it cleared and restarted fine. See if it repeats. If you make sure not to top off the tank and it doesn't repeat bingo found your problem...
Old 08-13-2011, 10:21 AM

I haven't noticed my fuel tank collapsing. But my fuel gauge on red 1/2 tank when full. Dealer told me that the fuel sending gauge needed to be replaced. I will investigate into that some more. Before it started the dying after fill up, it would be hard to start. I don't normally fill it up more than the "click" from the pump with its done. But I do sometimes round it up to the nearest even dollar amount...I will no do that next time and see what happens.

Last edited by 09f150guy; 08-13-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 51fixer
I have had this happen, but usually it was hard to start as well.
I have an excessive vacuum problem that has caused by fuel tank to collapse.
Dunno if that could be influencing your situation.
Has your mpg decreased?
My 1st post with photo of collapsed tank here
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/new-gu...ations-107053/
Rich

Rich,

After reading this post and driving to the store, i stuck my head under the truck to see if that what mine was doing..now, its not as bad as yours, but it is still sucking it in. I talked to a friend of mine thats a mechanic and he said it could have something to do with the vent on the gas cap...now while we( at least i dont) dont have gas caps, it could be the vent is dirty and not allowing it to relieve some of the pressure.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:35 AM

Rich,

After reading this post and driving to the store, i stuck my head under the truck to see if that what mine was doing..now, its not as bad as yours, but it is still sucking it in. I talked to a friend of mine thats a mechanic and he said it could have something to do with the vent on the gas cap...now while we( at least i dont) dont have gas caps, it could be the vent is dirty and not allowing it to relieve some of the pressure.
I'll keep you appraised of a resolution of my dilemma.
The system should run a evap test after startup where it will put a vacuum on the tank and then it will trap the vacuum and measure how long it takes to bleed off. This seems to be a normal test at startup so if you look right after you start there might be a small amount of change in the tank. If you drive an extended distance, maybe 20 mins or more and leave the truck running and then check to see if is showing a large bit of deformation then I would be alarmed.
The photo I took of the tank was after driving about an hour.
Rich
Old 08-14-2011, 12:48 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by VolFire
Overfilled and saturated your EVAP canister. The charcoal filter that keeps fumes under control. This causes codes only sometimes from what I understand. You may not have gotten it too bad and it cleared and restarted fine. See if it repeats. If you make sure not to top off the tank and it doesn't repeat bingo found your problem...
unlikely, i frequently fill mine till it starts running out the overflow, ive never once had a problem.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:19 PM

My 2010 f 150 is doing this also. Have you found the problem?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck dies after fillup, but starts right back up