Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - Present Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 08-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Truck dies after fillup, but starts right back up

Last few fill ups, my truck started something new. Once I'm done filling up, start the truck up to leave...starts fine runs fine...first stop I come to, it dies. Turn the key to restart it, cranks right up like nothing ever happened. I bought a fuel filter thinking I would replace that, but I can't find one to replace. Could it be trash in the tank? I still have to drop the tank to replace the fuel sending unit so I guess I will find out. Any thoughts? Any one have this problem before? 2009 SCREW 5.4L 2wd
09f150guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09f150guy View Post
Last few fill ups, my truck started something new. Once I'm done filling up, start the truck up to leave...starts fine runs fine...first stop I come to, it dies. Turn the key to restart it, cranks right up like nothing ever happened. I bought a fuel filter thinking I would replace that, but I can't find one to replace. Could it be trash in the tank? I still have to drop the tank to replace the fuel sending unit so I guess I will find out. Any thoughts? Any one have this problem before? 2009 SCREW 5.4L 2wd
My "guess" would be something with the EVAP system. Take it to the dealer your not going to throw parts at it and figure it out.
rlh6805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh6805 View Post
My "guess" would be something with the EVAP system. Take it to the dealer your not going to throw parts at it and figure it out.
only problem, it doesnt throw any codes, so the dealer is just going to throw parts at it until they fix it...at a pretty nice price.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #4

Quote:
I have had this happen, but usually it was hard to start as well.
I have an excessive vacuum problem that has caused by fuel tank to collapse.
Dunno if that could be influencing your situation.
Has your mpg decreased?
My 1st post with photo of collapsed tank here
http://www.f150forum.com/f38/new-guy...ations-107053/
Rich
51fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #5

Overfilled and saturated your EVAP canister. The charcoal filter that keeps fumes under control. This causes codes only sometimes from what I understand. You may not have gotten it too bad and it cleared and restarted fine. See if it repeats. If you make sure not to top off the tank and it doesn't repeat bingo found your problem...
2010 FX4 SCAB tuxedo black loaded, Bilstein 5100 Leveling Kit, K&N Series 63 Aircharger CAI, Corsa dB Catback Perf Exhaust, HD/Raptor Head and Tail swap, T-Rex Full Billet Grille (Black Powdercoat), KC HiLites Lightbar, 2 KC HiLites 135w Long Range 6" Daylighters (285k Candlepower), 2 KC HiLites 135w Driving Pattern 6" Daylighters (175k Candlepower), Westin black tail light guards
VolFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #6

I haven't noticed my fuel tank collapsing. But my fuel gauge on red 1/2 tank when full. Dealer told me that the fuel sending gauge needed to be replaced. I will investigate into that some more. Before it started the dying after fill up, it would be hard to start. I don't normally fill it up more than the "click" from the pump with its done. But I do sometimes round it up to the nearest even dollar amount...I will no do that next time and see what happens.

Last edited by 09f150guy; 08-13-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51fixer View Post
I have had this happen, but usually it was hard to start as well.
I have an excessive vacuum problem that has caused by fuel tank to collapse.
Dunno if that could be influencing your situation.
Has your mpg decreased?
My 1st post with photo of collapsed tank here
http://www.f150forum.com/f38/new-guy...ations-107053/
Rich

Rich,

After reading this post and driving to the store, i stuck my head under the truck to see if that what mine was doing..now, its not as bad as yours, but it is still sucking it in. I talked to a friend of mine thats a mechanic and he said it could have something to do with the vent on the gas cap...now while we( at least i dont) dont have gas caps, it could be the vent is dirty and not allowing it to relieve some of the pressure.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Rich,

After reading this post and driving to the store, i stuck my head under the truck to see if that what mine was doing..now, its not as bad as yours, but it is still sucking it in. I talked to a friend of mine thats a mechanic and he said it could have something to do with the vent on the gas cap...now while we( at least i dont) dont have gas caps, it could be the vent is dirty and not allowing it to relieve some of the pressure.
I'll keep you appraised of a resolution of my dilemma.
The system should run a evap test after startup where it will put a vacuum on the tank and then it will trap the vacuum and measure how long it takes to bleed off. This seems to be a normal test at startup so if you look right after you start there might be a small amount of change in the tank. If you drive an extended distance, maybe 20 mins or more and leave the truck running and then check to see if is showing a large bit of deformation then I would be alarmed.
The photo I took of the tank was after driving about an hour.
Rich
51fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #9

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolFire View Post
Overfilled and saturated your EVAP canister. The charcoal filter that keeps fumes under control. This causes codes only sometimes from what I understand. You may not have gotten it too bad and it cleared and restarted fine. See if it repeats. If you make sure not to top off the tank and it doesn't repeat bingo found your problem...
unlikely, i frequently fill mine till it starts running out the overflow, ive never once had a problem.
2010 F150 Lariat Screw 5.4L 4X4 3.55 LS rear end 6.5' bed with side bedsteps, Sony sound w/Touchscreen nav, loaded. Mods/Addons: AliArc Grill Guard, Stampede bug deflector, EGR window shades, Ezee down tailgate assist, Amp Research tailgate bed step, Mirror reflectors to turn signals, Truxedo Deuce cover, Underseat storage box, Recon Extreme Scanning Tailgate Lightbar, Gotts mod, LED Smoked Tails, LED Lighted F150 Door Sills, 24" Helos
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #10

My 2010 f 150 is doing this also. Have you found the problem?
karenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:19 PM