Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tremor or Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tremor or Ram?

To start off I've got a 2014 mustang GT and I'm tired of having a manual. Still love the car but I just don't drive it because of the mods I've done and shifting all the time got old fast... Before the mustang I had a 2010 Ram R/T and loved it. All the upgraded interior is really what I miss over my base mustang I have now.

On to the real point-
I'm looking to go back to a truck and have 2 options currently, a Tremor or a Ram Express. I don't like the idea of paying over $6,000 more to get another R/T over the express for just interior, even though the interior is very very nice. That's where the Tremor comes in, the EcoBoost seems silly fast for what it is. It seems like the Ram, even with the 8-speed, lags behind the Tremor stock and especially after a tune.

So aside from the Ram being around $31k and the Tremor coming just shy of $40k is there ANY reason that you guys wouldn't go with the Tremor? I had kicked around the idea of a STX with the Sport package as another options but finding a 2wd with the 5.0 seems impossible. Before anyone suggests an extended cab, I really like my regular cabs. Plus having only 2 seats is never a problem for me.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 175 Likes on 112 Posts

STX RCSB 5.0 + Procharger, you'll have money leftover to upgrade the interior and it'll be much faster than either the Tremor or Ram.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:15 PM
LONE STAR

Received 629 Likes on 432 Posts

Save 9K and buy the Ram Express. This is part of an article from TruckTrend comparing the two trucks -

But how did the Tremor stack up against the Hemi V-8-powered Ram 1500 Express? The cheapest V-8-powered truck in America sported 30 more horsepower than the Tremor at 395 hp, but was down 10 pound-feet of torque. It also featured a six-speed automatic, but a 3.92:1 final drive ratio, better on the highway but a disadvantage in the quarter mile. At 4,729 pounds, it's nearly 400 pounds lighter than the Tremor — its power-to-weight ratio checks in at 11.97 pounds per hp. Approaching the traps at the end of the strip, however, the Tremor was still pulling strong while the Ram was breathing hard. Time and again, the Tremor outran the Ram down the drag strip — but just barely, never finishing more than three-quarters of a truck-length ahead of the Ram. And at nearly $14,000 less than the Tremor, you're left with a lot of coin left to spend on more go-fast parts or a nicer interior. Kind of explains why the Express is a crazy-popular package for the Ram 1500, while the Tremor remains fairly rare.

Last edited by KILOFINAL; 08-31-2014 at 10:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Zevox (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 10:39 PM

Received 168 Likes on 118 Posts

I considered both when I was shopping around and I chose the Tremor. Mainly because it will look better with the mods I have planned than a modified Ram.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:59 PM

Received 234 Likes on 194 Posts

This is why I chose the 5.0 rcsb stx over the Tremor. Paying $38+k for a regular cab is insane.
To answer your question. I would go with the Ram express ESPECIALLY if its an 8-speed. If that and the tremor are your only options the ram has much better bang for the buck, even after spending $3k upgrading the interior and getting HIDs. Same thing I'm going to do with my stx.
Sucks that you're having trouble finding a 5.0 2wd single cab. I found mine on the lot, optioned nearly identical to what I would have special ordered. Then a month later that same dealer had 2 more 5.0 stx sport 2wd reg cabs in stock.

Last edited by johndog82; 08-31-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:05 PM

Received 108 Likes on 86 Posts

I just picked up a 2013 5.0 std cab truck from a local dealership. There were a bunch of them on autotrader when I Looked. Found this one although missing a few options I would have liked, the price was right and I can always add those options later. add a whipple and some exhaust and man it would be a fun truck!!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:11 AM

The Ram is a black edition express so it's got the sport headlights and taillights. That black edition is a great value for what you get, plus this one has the 8 speed and 3.92's.

I found a black regular cab STX 2wd with a 5.0 but it was slightly more expensive than the Ram still. Think it was around $33k? Trying to avoid black but it's looking like my only option, haha.

How is the gas mileage on Tremors? That seems to be its saving grace, aside from interior, over the other truck. Thanks for the input everyone. It's nice to not catch hate on a forum for asking about another brand on it.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:17 AM

Received 175 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Zevox

I found a black regular cab STX 2wd with a 5.0 but it was slightly more expensive than the Ram still. Think it was around $33k? Trying to avoid black but it's looking like my only option, haha.
Is that sticker? My STX SCab 5.0 stickered at $32k and I paid $23k + TT&L.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:21 AM

Received 168 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Zevox
The Ram is a black edition express so it's got the sport headlights and taillights. That black edition is a great value for what you get, plus this one has the 8 speed and 3.92's.

How is the gas mileage on Tremors? That seems to be its saving grace, aside from interior, over the other truck. Thanks for the input everyone. It's nice to not catch hate on a forum for asking about another brand on it.
I'm averaging 17.5mpg with my Tremor with 22" wheels, I was averaging 19mpg with the stock 20's.
The Ram is definitely a better value for your money, but I prefer the Tremor. I would take a Ram over a 5.0 F150 tho.
Tremor> Ram black ed.> Stx
Old 09-01-2014, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sweatmachine
Is that sticker? My STX SCab 5.0 stickered at $32k and I paid $23k + TT&L.
Yeah that is sticker. It may have been $32k? Didn't pay too much attention since it was black and I know how hard black is to keep clean when you live on a farm... that's another reason the "black edition" ram isn't really my first choice. Just gotta decide if the pros of a tremor add up to $9k.

Quick Reply: Tremor or Ram?