Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid everywhere!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 10:26 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Transmission fluid everywhere!!!

Just got home to my parents' house from a week-long camping trip with my parents. We drove back from eastern Oregon this afternoon. Everything was fine when we left, but 200 miles later towing the ski boat in 95° over the mountains I have a problem. Went back to unhook the boat trailer and noticed I had red fluid all over everything. Looked underneath and it's all over the truck down the center and passenger sides of the truck. Took off the cardboard cover where you check your oil and it's drenched, and the fluid appears to be coming from the front of the transmission. Also, the last 30-40 miles I thought I felt a slight vibration driving down the freeway. Never had any warning lights come on and my transmission temp was okay when I checked it, but that might have been before the vibration started, I can't remember.

Truck has 42,400 miles on it. I found searching that there is a TSB out for faulty transmission pumps (TSB 12-11-14) for trucks built between 4/15/2011 and 6/8/2011. Mine was built 5/14/2011, right in that range.

I'm currently 70 miles from home with a leaky transmission, possibly a vibration as well. It's Saturday night and the dealer is closed for the day, service department is closed on Sundays. I need to be at work on Monday. Am I okay to drive it home or do I need to park it at my parents' house? I could probably drive my dad's truck on Monday if I have to.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:30 PM

Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts

I would not drive it, id have it towed to the dealer

Last edited by DemonGT; 08-02-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:40 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

Flatbed.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:27 PM

Had it towed to my local dealer yesterday. Cost me $54 to have it towed here instead of the dealer by my parents' house.

They looked at it today and said it is indeed the transmission pump. They have two clutches on Ford Focuses to do first, said it would be several days before mine is fixed.

I hate driving my dad's 2006 Ram 2500!!!
Old 08-05-2014, 04:35 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

That sucks. I hope it works out. The Focus' are a pain to change clutches. Not much room to work with. Your truck should be a pretty simple job. Just pull the trans, change pump/seals, re-install trans, and test. I doubt they will do the last one so before you sign anything and take posession of the truck, take a ride with the service manager to make sure it works correctly. Also get underneath and make sure they cleaned the area so that you can keep an eye on it for the next couple weeks.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:29 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by HuskyKMA
Had it towed to my local dealer yesterday. Cost me $54 to have it towed here instead of the dealer by my parents' house.

They looked at it today and said it is indeed the transmission pump. They have two clutches on Ford Focuses to do first, said it would be several days before mine is fixed...
Send me your information in a PM, HuskyKMA; I want to escalate this to your regional customer service manager (CSM) so they can help. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll do the rest.

Crystal
Old 08-06-2014, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by FordService
Send me your information in a PM, HuskyKMA; I want to escalate this to your regional customer service manager (CSM) so they can help. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll do the rest.

Crystal
Crystal,

I've already spoken with Judy Wolfe, my regional CSM, on Monday.

My biggest concern now if that even after they fix the transmission pump, was damage done that is going to make my transmission fail down the road (most likely right after the warranty expires).
Old 08-06-2014, 12:17 PM
Snow Engineer

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Crystal,

My biggest concern now if that even after they fix the transmission pump, was damage done that is going to make my transmission fail down the road (most likely right after the warranty expires).
If you're worried about that, time to sell it to a real gambler. Unethical, sure... but everyone does it.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Crystal,

Would be my concern too
Old 08-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Wyatt

Received 163 Likes on 136 Posts

Have them go through the tranny since it's under warranty....then, get an extended warranty. ..either from Ford or an aftermarket one.
Let them have it until they've had time to thoroughly check it out...since you have alternate transportation.
And I would hope you wouldn't pawn off to some unsuspecting potential buyer...I mean get it fixed right!...before selling to someone else....

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid everywhere!!!