Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer lights not working, pin has power

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 12:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Trailer lights not working, pin has power

I borrowed my friends trailer this past week with 7 pin plug and could not get the lights to work for the life of me. They work on his truck so it's not the trailer. I tested all my pins with a circuit tester and all of the pins have power and Ground is grounded. I sanded my ball down so that's making good connection as well. The only thing I can think of is that I did tap into the trailer plug to get power and ground and reverse etc. For my reverse lights as well as my back up camera....could this be the issue? Am I drawing too much power from the 12v source or something? Like I said, all the pins at the 7 plug have power along with the ground, the 4 pin side all has power and ground...and right before I gave the trailer back, I took the circuit tester and grounded it and poked the tip into my friends trailer wires as they were hooked up to my truck...the taillights had power as well. I wasn't able to test the ground and power at the trailer though as I had return the trailer...but anyways, any ideas?
Old 04-12-2016, 06:32 AM

Received 613 Likes on 497 Posts

Borrow another trailer and see if it works, I don't think you tapping into the harness will change anything.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:23 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

check power AT the light on the trailer, no the pin connector now. My trailers have a ground wire on the harness that plugs into the 4 or 7 pin connector and get grounded the the trailer, so the ball has nothing to do with it.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:42 PM

Received 613 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by wojowojo16
check power AT the light on the trailer, no the pin connector now. My trailers have a ground wire on the harness that plugs into the 4 or 7 pin connector and get grounded the the trailer, so the ball has nothing to do with it.
Well I'm just adding to this, his friends trailer might have a bad ground wire and the ball would be the ground, might be why it works on his truck and not the ops, different material hitch ***** conduct differently...
Old 04-12-2016, 11:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I'll have to get access to another trailer and play around with the grounds and such. I have no clue what it could be. I'm usually pretty good at electrical things too

Quick Reply: Trailer lights not working, pin has power