Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Back-up Lights Power

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Nathan

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Trailer Back-up Lights Power

I have just installed the White Nights backup light kit, and the White Nights manual advises me that the relay/power for backup lights may not be installed by the dealer, but I should check my owner's manual for instructions.

There are no instructions about this in the owner's manual.

But in the glovebox of my truck is a bag with a fuse and a relay. Looking at the fuse drawing, it's absolutely unclear as to where the fuse and relay go. In fact, the drawing in my manual is not exactly the same as my power distribution center. So I stuck the relay into slot 9 which was blank. Nothing. I have no idea at all where to put the 30A fuse.

The relay is labelled "HI PWR 8L8T-14B192-AA" The fuse is a square type with 30A written on it.

Is there someone who has done this who could point me in the right direction? I've Googled this and just got a bunch of other guys who are wondering WTH Ford didn't just install these things at the factory.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blackjack... slot 21 for fuse.

Slot nine for relay.

Last edited by Hatchman; 10-30-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Nathan

Originally Posted by Hatchman
Blackjack... slot 21.
Nope.

On mine, slot 21 is "Battery Charge Relay Power," and when I tried it... no workee. Unless that relay is supposed to be installed somewhere for it to work.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by nathan_nathaniel
Nope.

On mine, slot 21 is "Battery Charge Relay Power," and when I tried it... no workee. Unless that relay is supposed to be installed somewhere for it to work.
Yes, it is to charge the battery in a trailer with a battery for electric brakes.

Yes, the relay has to be installed in slot 9 for it to work.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Nathan

Okay, thanks. Posted too soon. I've got them both installed, but no lights are working so obviously there is some other problem. I'll have to have someone look at it... all the connections are tight.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:26 PM

Maybe a bad relay or fuse? Try swapping a spare fuse and relay.

Key has to be in the ignition and "on" to work.

Last edited by Hatchman; 10-30-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:43 PM
Nathan

Originally Posted by Hatchman
Maybe a bad relay or fuse? Try swapping a spare fuse and relay. Key has to be in the ignition and "on" to work.

I had the motor running and the transmission in reverse when I was testing it. Tried all positions of the toggle switch on White Nights, and made sure all plugs were tightly connected. I'll have to get some spare fuses and try that. (I have an electrical tester around here somewhere, but can't lay my hands on it. Plus I don't know how to use it anyway. )
Old 10-30-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

The fuse and relay that come in the bag are for trailer battery power only iIf you have the factory installed 7 pin the back up lites are on a different circut it should be the center pin and it is only hot when your back up lites are on. There is another fuse for this cirquit im sorry im not sure which one it is but it should be listed in the book. also were the back up lites on the truck working when you checked it? The fuse location for the bat charge is labled TTpower for the fuse and relay Bubbabud

Last edited by bubbabud; 10-30-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a White Night backup light last weekend, and had the same questions.

The fuse and relay do not power the backup light, they power the HOT lead to the 7-pin trailer plug.

I used the White Night adapter that fits into the 7-pin plug, and once I addressed the fuse and relay, and realized the ignition had to be on, everything worke fine.

If you have an electrical tester, start your truck and then check that you actually have 12v+ into the trailer plug. If so, the White Night should work on the manual setting.

If you have power, but no working lights, you may want to check all of your electrical connections...
Old 10-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Nathan

Originally Posted by Niceguyinsanjose
I installed a White Night backup light last weekend, and had the same questions.

The fuse and relay do not power the backup light, they power the HOT lead to the 7-pin trailer plug.

I used the White Night adapter that fits into the 7-pin plug, and once I addressed the fuse and relay, and realized the ignition had to be on, everything worke fine.

If you have an electrical tester, start your truck and then check that you actually have 12v+ into the trailer plug. If so, the White Night should work on the manual setting.

If you have power, but no working lights, you may want to check all of your electrical connections...
Just to verify... the large central lead in the factory 7 pin plug is the hot lead? If so, I should be able to test this by attaching a 12 volt device to it and to a ground, correct?

Quick Reply: Trailer Back-up Lights Power