Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading in Ecoboost for 5.0

Old 01-10-2016, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading in Ecoboost for 5.0

So after having a 2013 & 2014 F150 3.5 Ecoboost and having the same issues with both I am finally throwing in the towel and upgrading to the 5.0. At around 30K miles I have had the wrench light come on and lose all throttle input and the engine then chokes out. In both times I have taken immediately to the dealership and they can not duplicate. Couple this with never getting the advertised MPG in either and I am finally at my wit's end with this engine. I've been reading through the forums here and there and it seems that some Ecoboost owners have no issues and some have lot's. Now I don't want to come across as bashing the Ecoboost because I love the power and towing capability it provides, but am tired of having issues with it. My question is to people who have went from a Ecoboost to the 5.0 and what their experience was in changing engines?

Thanks!!
Old 01-10-2016, 10:30 AM

Received 173 Likes on 116 Posts

interesting, not familiar with that issue in the ecoboost - but about 25k miles ago I went through an issue that sounds similar with my 5.0

the dealer twice reflashed the PCM (or something along those lines), both times the problem returned - sudden loss of power, no throttle input, chugged to death ... wait 30+ minutes and after cranking and cranking it would restart and run fine. 3rd time it did this I had to push it out of the road - was close to a dealer, went straight there, but that time the wrench never came on and no codes.

4th time = dealer replaced one cat converter. 5th time = dealer replaced the other converter .... and Ford provided me an extended warranty to 'give me confidence' in the truck.

all that was about 2 years ago and I've now put about 25k miles on it including 3 roadtrips of 3500-4000 miles each (and 2 where I ran the truck for 20 hours on the interstate only stopping for food/gas). Knock on wood it runs like a champ - summer 100* plus, or winter down to -3*

fwiw ... love the 5.0 but was at the same point as you when it was having problems - had researched the lemon law stuff, if it broke down once more would've pursued that but it hasn't and I'm glad
Old 01-10-2016, 10:38 AM
Addicted to Oil

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 5.0 is awesome and flawless. I have 26,000 trouble free miles on it.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank for the quick reply and some great info!! It's frustrating to own a $50K truck and have stuff like this happen consistently with them. The one thing I want to make sure I express is I am not bashing the Ecoboost engine, I am just tired of it and have had two trucks in a row with the same issue plus a whole litany of other problems. I had a 04 5.4 and that truck never had a issue and the MPG was what was advertised. So I'm really considering the 5.0 and the new F150 looks sick and gets some decent MPG. Right now I am getting 14 mpg city and 16.5 Hwy. I have never gotten better than those in this truck. Again thanks for the quick reply.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:45 AM

Received 173 Likes on 116 Posts

what avg speed are you running on the highway? on long road trips if i'm around 65 i'll get 19+ ... but kick it up to 85 and it's down around 15 mpg. Obviously though it's hard to compare mpg - weight, equipment, road location, weather .... too many variables to make it a 1:1

I also just plain love the sound of v8's and v-twins .... 4, 6, 10, 12 just don't sound the same as 2 or 8
Old 01-10-2016, 11:18 AM

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I had a 2012 screw fx4 with the 5.0 and 3.73's. Absolutely loved it. Great power, and the mpg was a solid 16 mpg locally and 21 on trips. I traded it when it developed a light knock in the bottom end. My truck was in the build date range for the issue. I believe it was oblong cylinder bores.
I have a nearly identical 2014 FX4 screw but with the Eco and 3.55's. It averaged 13.9 mpg locally before my level and slightly larger Duratracs. Best mpg has been right at 18 driving 55-65 mph.
In my experience between the two trucks, the 5.0 got noticeably better mpg, and had that traditional v8 pull and sound. The Eco has better midrange. The 5.0 felt stronger at the top of the rev range.
I also towed with the 5.0 and I personally came away impressed. I towed a jacked up TJ Wrangler on an all steel deck car hauler from Canton OH to WV. About a 3 hour drive. It returned 14 mpg towing and stayed in 6th on everything but the larger of inclines. Haven't towed with the Eco but I'm sure it would be strong.
I have a year and a half left on my lease and will be looking hard at the 5.0 again. But I want the 3.73's.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:22 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a 2011 5.0 with 85,000 miles that with except for Fords crappy brakes, the truck has been excellant.
At some point I will probably sell it and buy another 5.0 with aluminum body.
I really like the 5.0 engine.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:30 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

By then they may be using the new and improved thinner aluminum.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:55 PM

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by Viking load
So after having a 2013 & 2014 F150 3.5 Ecoboost and having the same issues with both I am finally throwing in the towel and upgrading to the 5.0. At around 30K miles I have had the wrench light come on and lose all throttle input and the engine then chokes out. In both times I have taken immediately to the dealership and they can not duplicate. (This is a dealership issue) Couple this with never getting the advertised MPG in either and I am finally at my wit's end with this engine. (news flash...NO ONE gets the advertised fuel mileage!) I've been reading through the forums here and there and it seems that some Ecoboost owners have no issues and some have lot's. Now I don't want to come across as bashing the Ecoboost because I love the power and towing capability it provides, but am tired of having issues with it. My question is to people who have went from a Ecoboost to the 5.0 and what their experience was in changing engines?

Thanks!!
I just had the entire front end of my 2013 engine (ecoboost) replaced, timing chains, cam phasers, etc. I still like the truck and it hasn't swayed me one bit to throw it away. The 2015 trucks are no better ...with 5.0 or 3.5 & 2.7...just a much sharply increased price tag.

P.S. - I've had the CEL come on a few times in the past few years. I chaulked it up to the -43 temperatures I was driving in. After a few starts, the CEL went away and all was good.

Last edited by Stu Cazzo; 01-10-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:22 PM

Received 843 Likes on 495 Posts

Yup, both engines can have issues. Sounds like you needed to drill the intercooler. Just had a friend get his 5.0 back, had to have long block replaced. With that being said, another friend of mine will be getting his ecoboost back any day, engine replacement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trading in Ecoboost for 5.0