Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - Present Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I have a 2010 screw with the 4.6 3v 3.73 diff and tow a 24' trailer. Weighs in around 5100 max, not weighed it yet, but the dry weight is 4324, so that should be close. I'm getting 7-8mpg while towing. 17-18 when not towing.

spawnman
spawnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
kmac1036's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I pulled a 5' x 10' uhaul trailer with mine (3.55 rearend, 4.6 3v) packed to the roof & rear doors along with the back of the truck totally packed with stuff in the cab too when I helped my grandma move. no issues, had enough power.
__________________
Current: 2013 F150 FX4, Crew, 3.5L EcoBoost, Tuxedo Black
Previous: 2010 F150 STX, Scab, 4.6L 3v, Flame Blue
kmac1036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bellevue, NE
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnman View Post
I have a 2010 screw with the 4.6 3v 3.73 diff and tow a 24' trailer. Weighs in around 5100 max, not weighed it yet, but the dry weight is 4324, so that should be close. I'm getting 7-8mpg while towing. 17-18 when not towing.

spawnman
OUCH!! I hope I can do better than that but your mileage numbers when not towing are about the same as mine. YIKES!
stro1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Grafton NY
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

this weekend i towed my pop up 2 harleys camper loaded with stuff bed CAREFULLY packed around the harleys and the extended cab pack floor 2 roof and it handled nice and towed nice plenty of power in the mountains i have the 2000 scab 4.6 and even though i just bought it so far so good it actually towed better then my 1988 full size bronco with the 302 in it
gutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:48 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: oh
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I have the 4.6/3v with six speed two wheel drive with 3.55 LS. I tow a 4200lb tt dry. 5000 to 6000 loaded. I have no problems towing. I also have a w/d hitch and electric trailer brakes.When I was looking at trucks I didn't see that much differance between the 4.6 and the 5.4 in horse power the 4.6 handles my needs.
walts99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Newbie here...great forum. Just found it last night checking about installing the Ford trailer brake controller.

I've got an 09 F150 scab, 4.6L, 3 valve, trailer tow package, 3.55 rear, 145"wb. Manual says it will tow 9500 pounds but I assume that is a little optimistic.

I've just towed my 65 Ford Falcon on an open Trailex trailer (about 4200 pounds) and had no problems. Got up to 16.6 MPG and it towed like there was nothing hooked to it.

I'm now looking at an enclosed Trailex trailer which would make my towing weight about 5200-5500 pounds. The Trailex has a V nose and is only about 7' 5" high so its not as big as many other enclosed trailers.

The manual says I should be fine, other comments in this thread agree that there should be no problems but I'm being told by several "knowledgable" friends that I need an F250 to tow this much weight with an enclosed trailer. I tend to ignore my friends advice...any thoughts here?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Bill
150andFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bellevue, NE
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150andFalcon View Post
Newbie here...great forum. Just found it last night checking about installing the Ford trailer brake controller.

I've got an 09 F150 scab, 4.6L, 3 valve, trailer tow package, 3.55 rear, 145"wb. Manual says it will tow 9500 pounds but I assume that is a little optimistic.

I've just towed my 65 Ford Falcon on an open Trailex trailer (about 4200 pounds) and had no problems. Got up to 16.6 MPG and it towed like there was nothing hooked to it.

I'm now looking at an enclosed Trailex trailer which would make my towing weight about 5200-5500 pounds. The Trailex has a V nose and is only about 7' 5" high so its not as big as many other enclosed trailers.

The manual says I should be fine, other comments in this thread agree that there should be no problems but I'm being told by several "knowledgable" friends that I need an F250 to tow this much weight with an enclosed trailer. I tend to ignore my friends advice...any thoughts here?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Bill
My toy hauler (w/bikes) is about 7,000 pounds. We towed it to Colorado a couple of weeks ago and pulled it up some steep mountains with no issues. I wouldn't want to pull much more weight though, and if I was pulling it every week I'd want more truck. For my needs, right now anyway, it suits me fine.

FWIW, if you need/want Ford OEM towing mirrors, Tasca Auto Parts shipped mine quickly, the price was great, and the install was a 15 minute deal. They make a world of difference.
stro1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stro1965 View Post
FWIW, if you need/want Ford OEM towing mirrors, Tasca Auto Parts shipped mine quickly, the price was great, and the install was a 15 minute deal. They make a world of difference.
Stro

Can you install the towing mirrors yourself or is it a dealer install item? Any challenges getting the stock mirrors off if you do it yourself?
150andFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:29 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bellevue, NE
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150andFalcon View Post
Stro

Can you install the towing mirrors yourself or is it a dealer install item? Any challenges getting the stock mirrors off if you do it yourself?
Easy self-insall. 4 screws on the door panel and 3 bolts on the mirror.
stro1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:38 AM   #20
Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I have a 2009 supercrew with the 4.6L 3v and 3.55's with the towing package and I tow a 7500lb trailer loaded. I just got back from a 2100 miles Ohio to Florida trip and it towed great no problems in the mountains either. The gas mileage is between 8.5 and 9.5 though.

Don
dande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:38 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Towing sport95 1987 - 1996 F150 6 03-02-2010 12:40 AM
94-96 5.0 for towing Blown_Tranny 1987 - 1996 F150 3 07-02-2009 10:32 PM
towing lasoyatang 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 6 10-19-2008 05:39 PM
towing andyman7931 1987 - 1996 F150 11 09-30-2008 11:53 AM
87 towing??? gbrewe Introductions 2 10-31-2007 08:11 AM

Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.