Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are tow mirrors really worth it?

Old 05-12-2016, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are tow mirrors really worth it?

So just like the title says, Is it really worth paying extra to change to tow mirrors? OR do the stock ones with the puddle mirrors typically suffice? I am just not sure if I can justify spending $550 to get everything on the tow mirrors like my stock ones already have. I never tow any really long trailers with my F150 either, just short ones. Granted I do tow a lot, but the stock ones seem to work just fine in most cases. Do most people do it just for looks? Are the tow mirrors really worth the money? I have only had my truck for a month so far and I have only had to tow twice, but next month I will start towing a couple times a week.

Last edited by Gray Ghost F150; 05-12-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:47 AM
JJM

Received 180 Likes on 136 Posts

Try backing a 8.5' wide enclosed trailer with the stockers.

They're not for looks. Nor are they for "long" trailers. They're for wide trailers that block the view of the stock mirrors
The following users liked this post:
DesertFord (05-27-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by JJM
Try backing a 8.5' wide enclosed trailer with the stockers.

They're not for looks. Nor are they for "long" trailers. They're for wide trailers that block the view of the stock mirrors

I have not had to haul an enclosed trailer yet, so far they have been open trailers. I can see how they can come in handy in that situation for sure.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts

Yes, they are absolutely worth it. I only tow trailers a dozen or so times a year, and I would not give up my tow mirrors for anything.

I selected an aftermarket mirror that does not power fold, extend, or auto dim. But it has turn signals, heated glass, and is fully adjustable like the stock ones. I think they ran me about $300 on amazon.

The biggest thing I like about the tow mirrors, is I can see everything on either side of my truck all the way down to the pavement at a glance. I still manually check my blind spots before making a lane change, but this helps me know before I turn on my signal that there is room, and a smart car is not hiding out next to my passenger door. Before I had the mirrors it was possible for a short compact car to hide from me, on the passenger side, even when I knew it was there.

The one downside that my wife complains about, is the mirrors are big and if you are short, they do create a small blind spot in front of you when making a left hand turn.
The following users liked this post:
Dennis-391 (05-13-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 11:00 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Gah that's one of the next things I want to fix. My truck has stockers and my dad has the tow mirrors, and its world of a difference, even in just daily commuting its nice to be able to see EVERYTHING. Towing its a must, but even for daily driving it is quite nice!
Old 05-12-2016, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by EcoBoostJake
Yes, they are absolutely worth it. I only tow trailers a dozen or so times a year, and I would not give up my tow mirrors for anything.

I selected an aftermarket mirror that does not power fold, extend, or auto dim. But it has turn signals, heated glass, and is fully adjustable like the stock ones. I think they ran me about $300 on amazon.

The biggest thing I like about the tow mirrors, is I can see everything on either side of my truck all the way down to the pavement at a glance. I still manually check my blind spots before making a lane change, but this helps me know before I turn on my signal that there is room, and a smart car is not hiding out next to my passenger door. Before I had the mirrors it was possible for a short compact car to hide from me, on the passenger side, even when I knew it was there.

The one downside that my wife complains about, is the mirrors are big and if you are short, they do create a small blind spot in front of you when making a left hand turn.
Originally Posted by berty
Gah that's one of the next things I want to fix. My truck has stockers and my dad has the tow mirrors, and its world of a difference, even in just daily commuting its nice to be able to see EVERYTHING. Towing its a must, but even for daily driving it is quite nice!

The daily driving aspect that both of yall have pointed out is something that I have not thought of. It makes a lot of since though.

I have noticed the blindspot for compact cars as well. I don't care for that part of having stock mirrors.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:07 AM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Absolutely worth it. I don't pull any enclosed trailers, but they definitely help. Even in daily driving, being able to see right next to me and check a lot of my blind spot helps tremendously.

I plan on having tow mirrors on my truck indefinitely.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:16 PM
JJM

Received 180 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by homeskizzle
Absolutely worth it. I don't pull any enclosed trailers, but they definitely help. Even in daily driving, being able to see right next to me and check a lot of my blind spot helps tremendously.

I plan on having tow mirrors on my truck indefinitely.
This too. The blind spot mirror is super helpful.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:09 PM

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I also got a set from Ebay that were heated /non dimming/non powerfold. I absolutely love them. I got them after pulling my 23 foot travel trailer one year with the clip on mirrors. The clip on ones were fine but the new ones where night and day in comparison. No blindspot (minimal if any) and now it's so easy to back in to any spot.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put them on a 2012 F150 when I was towing a travel trailer and they were great. I won't have an F150 without them now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are tow mirrors really worth it?