TKO's Custom Ipad dash mount.. - Page 8 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - 2014 Ford F150
Log In 


TKO's Custom Ipad dash mount..

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #71
iPad Dash Fabricator
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 2,725
Thanked 339 Times in 279 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbr View Post
All I can say is wow, and thank you for taking the time to share build with us. Just wish I had extra time to take on a project like this. After you get everything completed and if you decide to make and sell this as a kit let me know. I have my iPad integrated with my work duties and tired of it sitting on console. Defiantly will be interested in purchasing.
No problem bro, thank u guys for giving me some motivation to keep the progress rolling! and I put too much time into this to really sell at a reasonable price.. For your application I would recommend the side slider kit that Soundmancaraudio.com is releasing this month! It's a lot easier to install versus my 16 hour install
tko_818 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tko_818 For This Useful Post:
Bluesbr (10-04-2012)
Join F150 Forum

Join F150Forum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford F150 fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford F150 Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Ford F150 fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your F150 you'll find that F150Forum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join F150Forum.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


-->
Old 10-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #72
iPad Dash Fabricator
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 2,725
Thanked 339 Times in 279 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreFXFour View Post
One question....why'd your 90 degree connecter not work without cutting, but soundman's did?
Only because soundmans install was not designed to unlatch and drop forward like mine. Since I wanted my dash piece to drop forward without taking apart the side trims with the ac vents, I had to notch them out on both sides.. On soundmans install, he would have to remove the two side trims which are the ptm pieces on my dash, and then unhook the 90 to pull off the dash piece.. Does that make sense?
tko_818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #73
I tell you hwut
 
HCFX2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Over there
Posts: 17,900
Thanked 1,949 Times in 1,244 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tko_818 View Post
Only because soundmans install was not designed to unlatch and drop forward like mine. Since I wanted my dash piece to drop forward without taking apart the side trims with the ac vents, I had to notch them out on both sides.. On soundmans install, he would have to remove the two side trims which are the ptm pieces on my dash, and then unhook the 90 to pull off the dash piece.. Does that make sense?
Yeah man, that's what I suspected, since yours was a different design. It would be awesome if the iPad had a connecter on the bottom like the Galaxy tablets, but if it's mounted mostly permanent like mine then it should be fine. I have an iPiddy 1 for home use, only reason I'm not using that for the install is because there's no iOS 6 and no 3G (hotspot is a PITA to connect every time you get in the truck)

I thought about doing mine with an Android tablet, I have been meaning to try out the OS in some application (not my phone), but standard sizes are the 8.9" screens, which are too small and the 10.1" screens are too wide. The iPad fits perfectly in that space, like it was made for it.

Amazon delivered my 2 Metra dash kits that I ordered, just the sheets of ABS plastic left to arrive, hopefully tomorrow, then let the games begin!!
__________________
2015 F-150 Lariat 502a SCrew 145"WB - Chrome package - 20" PVD wheels, max tow w/tow meers, 20% tint, XPel paint protection, Truxedo Lo-Pro QT, PUTCO LED fogs
HCFX2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #74
Senior Member
 
chris_bryan_89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Clackamas, OR
Posts: 559
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

AMAZING work with this project. I have never tried to tackle anything like this on my own, but I have done more simple projects and even with those it is hard to find the time and motivation to finish them (at least for me), and even more difficult to share it and keep the community updated. Builds like this keep the forum exciting, and keep me looking for something new to try. I don't quite have the ***** or patience you do but I have much appreciation for the work you put into it. Great work man!!
__________________
2011 Audi S4 (Stage 2+)
2011 FX4 SCREW 5.0, Sterling Grey
2007 Lariat SCREW
2004 Suzuki GSXR 600 (my other toy)
chris_bryan_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #75
iPad Dash Fabricator
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 2,725
Thanked 339 Times in 279 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreFXFour View Post
Yeah man, that's what I suspected, since yours was a different design. It would be awesome if the iPad had a connecter on the bottom like the Galaxy tablets, but if it's mounted mostly permanent like mine then it should be fine. I have an iPiddy 1 for home use, only reason I'm not using that for the install is because there's no iOS 6 and no 3G (hotspot is a PITA to connect every time you get in the truck)

I thought about doing mine with an Android tablet, I have been meaning to try out the OS in some application (not my phone), but standard sizes are the 8.9" screens, which are too small and the 10.1" screens are too wide. The iPad fits perfectly in that space, like it was made for it.

Amazon delivered my 2 Metra dash kits that I ordered, just the sheets of ABS plastic left to arrive, hopefully tomorrow, then let the games begin!!
Awesome bro! time to go at it! My FoxFi app works pretty great with my ipad thankfully.. the ipad connects automatically and it works quickly.

and make sure you notch out your AC controls to fit the ipad in!
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
tko_818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #76
iPad Dash Fabricator
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 2,725
Thanked 339 Times in 279 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_bryan_89 View Post
AMAZING work with this project. I have never tried to tackle anything like this on my own, but I have done more simple projects and even with those it is hard to find the time and motivation to finish them (at least for me), and even more difficult to share it and keep the community updated. Builds like this keep the forum exciting, and keep me looking for something new to try. I don't quite have the ***** or patience you do but I have much appreciation for the work you put into it. Great work man!!
I appreciate the kind words bro. It takes some ***** and alot of stupidity to tear apart a new truck! I've never done anything like this before but i have found that if i jump into it, i can find a way to finish. sharing with the forum has been my way to stay on it, so that the topic doesnt die and people are disappointed.. thats why i decided to share before i finished! but if u ever attempt it, just come here for some info! i have a ton of pictures
tko_818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #77
I tell you hwut
 
HCFX2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Over there
Posts: 17,900
Thanked 1,949 Times in 1,244 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tko_818 View Post
Awesome bro! time to go at it! My FoxFi app works pretty great with my ipad thankfully.. the ipad connects automatically and it works quickly.

and make sure you notch out your AC controls to fit the ipad in!
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Unfortunately I have an iPhone so FoxFi is a no go, I've been hunting an equivalent though.

Yep! Planning on doing the pre-fab work next week. Flip the deck downwards, cut off the upper side clips, notch the climate controls, extend the hazard harness, etc. Then I'll leave the vent towers out for easy access for fitting and fabrication. My interior will look like death for about a week or so.

It's like they say, the journey is half the fun....or it could be getting there is half the battle, depending on how you look at it. All i know, is that I've told way too many of my friends about it for me to back out now, and the F-150 is probably the most iPaddable vehicle in existence.
__________________
2015 F-150 Lariat 502a SCrew 145"WB - Chrome package - 20" PVD wheels, max tow w/tow meers, 20% tint, XPel paint protection, Truxedo Lo-Pro QT, PUTCO LED fogs
HCFX2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #78
iPad Dash Fabricator
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 2,725
Thanked 339 Times in 279 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreFXFour View Post
Unfortunately I have an iPhone so FoxFi is a no go, I've been hunting an equivalent though.

Yep! Planning on doing the pre-fab work next week. Flip the deck downwards, cut off the upper side clips, notch the climate controls, extend the hazard harness, etc. Then I'll leave the vent towers out for easy access for fitting and fabrication. My interior will look like death for about a week or so.

It's like they say, the journey is half the fun....or it could be getting there is half the battle, depending on how you look at it. All i know, is that I've told way too many of my friends about it for me to back out now, and the F-150 is probably the most iPaddable vehicle in existence.
Looks like u already got alot of it figured out! the AC controls threw me for a loop because i didnt see it in soundmans video.. but obviously i figured it out.. theres also some dash stuff you'll have to notch, so if u get stumped holler!
tko_818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #79
I tell you hwut
 
HCFX2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Over there
Posts: 17,900
Thanked 1,949 Times in 1,244 Posts
Default

Just picked up a package from the post office, turns out it's my fake iPad!!

I thought it would be a great idea to buy a 1:1 scale dummy iPad for fabrication, so I don't mess up a real one. It's so convincing, that my mom got in on the fun and played a prank on my dad. We switched his real ipad in his leather case with the fake one, and when he got home she got fake pissed at him for a stupid reason and took the fake ipad (the one that he thought was his real iPad 3 in his case), and launched it off the deck. We never laughed so hard in our lives. We bought him dinner for being a good sport and prankee.

TKO's Custom Ipad dash mount..-image-434780477.jpg
__________________
2015 F-150 Lariat 502a SCrew 145"WB - Chrome package - 20" PVD wheels, max tow w/tow meers, 20% tint, XPel paint protection, Truxedo Lo-Pro QT, PUTCO LED fogs
HCFX2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #80
iPad Dash Fabricator
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 2,725
Thanked 339 Times in 279 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreFXFour View Post
Just picked up a package from the post office, turns out it's my fake iPad!!

I thought it would be a great idea to buy a 1:1 scale dummy iPad for fabrication, so I don't mess up a real one. It's so convincing, that my mom got in on the fun and played a prank on my dad. We switched his real ipad in his leather case with the fake one, and when he got home she got fake pissed at him for a stupid reason and took the fake ipad (the one that he thought was his real iPad 3 in his case), and launched it off the deck. We never laughed so hard in our lives. We bought him dinner for being a good sport and prankee.

Attachment 151019
bahahahaha your poor dad! thats awesome man! i wish i thought of that! i just kept my ipad wrapped in blue 3m tape
tko_818 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad in dash mounts Bushell4 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 5 09-15-2016 11:50 PM
iPad mini dash kits mkyle38 Custom Fabrication Department 62 08-24-2016 07:57 PM
2wd suspension question HVAC_RIC 1997 - 2003 Ford F150 27 02-21-2016 06:02 PM
Northeast: Gryphon Programmer jb526 2004 - 2008 Part Sales 12 09-19-2015 08:21 AM
IPAD in dash mounts Bushell4 General F150 Discussion 0 09-03-2015 03:16 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 AM.


Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.