Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire decisions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire decisions

So I'm in the process of putting a level and more aggressive tires on my 2011 Lariat 4x4 and I can't decide what tires to get. I've been thinking about the Nitto Trail Grapplers because they look so badass, but I'm starting to think they're unnecessary for what I'll be using them the majority of the time for. I do mostly city driving except for during hunting season when I have to go through some pretty deep ruts to get to the camp. I've also been looking at the Toyo OC At2's with the extreme thread. What do you guys think? I'll take any suggestions. Pictures would also be appreciated.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you...like the look of aggressive tire but it will be rarely used as one. I've narrowed my search down to the General Grabber AT2 (which is similar to the BFG TA KO). The BFG is not snow rated and the General is
Old 02-05-2014, 06:35 AM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

I running the Terra Grapplers and like them a lot. Quite on the street and aren't bad off-road if you spin them enough to clean them. Next go round I'll be putting Open Country M/Ts on it. Thy look bad ***, awesome off road and wear great. You can easily get 50K+ out of them with proper rotations and keep correct air pressure in them.

Wayne
Old 02-05-2014, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deathroe
I'm in the same boat as you...like the look of aggressive tire but it will be rarely used as one. I've narrowed my search down to the General Grabber AT2 (which is similar to the BFG TA KO). The BFG is not snow rated and the General is
Those do look nice. I live in South Louisiana and we rarely ever get snow here, so snow traction isn't one of my worries.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:27 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Deathroe
I don't understand why people worry about being snow rated. You act like if it snow your trucks going to explode. I run 275/70/18 BFG TA KO and have no issues in the snow. With my atv in the bed live driven through snow up to the bottom of my headlights
Old 02-05-2014, 10:37 AM

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I love Kelly Safari. I had the MSR which is now discontinued but the TSR is the new one. I would recommend to anyone. Kelly has good tires IMO.

They weren't loud on the road and wore decent. I had my 2009 over the bumpers in mud/water truck ruts, got me through it with ease.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:12 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by POSboost
I don't understand why people worry about being snow rated. You act like if it snow your trucks going to explode. I run 275/70/18 BFG TA KO and have no issues in the snow. With my atv in the bed live driven through snow up to the bottom of my headlights
I happen to have the Grabber AT2s and am quite happy how they handle in both snow and wet conditions. Since putting them on I have yet to drop in to 4 high. We have gotten a snows of 6 plus inches, a few over 8. Don't knock the tires just because they aren't a bigger brand. They handle extremely well, are pretty darn quiet and have gotten me around quite nicely for over a year now with having put close to 10k on them they still look like the day I had them installed.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:16 PM

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts

Looks are worth it IMO. But I think I'm biased in this conversation

Old 02-05-2014, 09:55 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jt09xlt
I happen to have the Grabber AT2s and am quite happy how they handle in both snow and wet conditions. Since putting them on I have yet to drop in to 4 high. We have gotten a snows of 6 plus inches, a few over 8. Don't knock the tires just because they aren't a bigger brand. They handle extremely well, are pretty darn quiet and have gotten me around quite nicely for over a year now with having put close to 10k on them they still look like the day I had them installed.
You missed my point. I think it's a joke that because BFG don't have the little snow flake on them. People act like their drag slicks
Old 02-06-2014, 07:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by POSboost
I want a tire that that met the required performance in snow testing and BFG TA KO does not in the size I need

Quick Reply: Tire decisions