Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for New Wheels - Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 12:29 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Time for New Wheels - Question

I am starting to look for new wheels for my 10 FX4 super cab in sterling gray. I have narrowed it down to a particular style, back lip simulated beadlock with a silver face. Method Race NV's and Ultra Xtreme X-lok both have a wheel that fits this description. I'll be getting the wheels in 18x9 to use my rugged terrain tires that have plenty of life left.

From a friend at Discount I can get the Methods for just under $1k which I think is a pretty good price.

1. How much do I need to worry about pitting from salt or other road grime? I live in Northern Illinois so they salt in winter. Should I consider removing the wheels every winter?

2. Are there any other wheels out there that look like these? I want to make sure I searched high and low before I make a decision.

3. Any customer service issues I need to be aware of with either of these manufacturers? Ultra Wheels or Method Racing?
Attached Images   
Old 01-27-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 204 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Waterfowler41
I am starting to look for new wheels for my 10 FX4 super cab in sterling gray. I have narrowed it down to a particular style, back lip simulated beadlock with a silver face. Method Race NV's and Ultra Xtreme X-lok both have a wheel that fits this description. I'll be getting the wheels in 18x9 to use my rugged terrain tires that have plenty of life left. From a friend at Discount I can get the Methods for just under $1k which I think is a pretty good price. 1. How much do I need to worry about pitting from salt or other road grime? I live in Northern Illinois so they salt in winter. Should I consider removing the wheels every winter? 2. Are there any other wheels out there that look like these? I want to make sure I searched high and low before I make a decision. 3. Any customer service issues I need to be aware of with either of these manufacturers? Ultra Wheels or Method Racing?
I'd shop around a little more. I'm not sure if it's a good price or not. Discount Tire seems to be pretty high in most cases that I've had dealings with them. I'd check and see how both sets of wheels are made what kind of metal. They may be the exact same or maybe completely different as far as quality goes.
The following users liked this post:
Waterfowler41 (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I've run two sets of Ultra Wheels and so far had zero problems. One set was on a '93 F-150 and after 10 years and well over 100,000 miles, the wheels still looked fairly good. Currently running Ultra's on my '13 SCrew and like them just fine. I live down south so salt on the roads is not an issue, but I do live on the Gulf Coast and it is very salty here.

As for price, I shopped Tire Rack and everyone else on the internet. All said and done, I got my best deal from my local Goodyear Dealer. They were able to match internet pricing.
The following users liked this post:
Waterfowler41 (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 01:40 PM

I'm pretty confident in the price as its from a very close family friend. While it might not be the worlds cheapest price, it's very likely the best he can do which is OK with me so long as he gets the commission not someone else. I purchased my tires from him so if I go elsewhere I'll get dinged for remounting my tires which I think he waived.

About material, will look into that. I've seen raptor guys complaining about the zinc screws rusting and method replaced the with ss.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by Waterfowler41; 01-27-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by aandrews109
I've run two sets of Ultra Wheels and so far had zero problems. One set was on a '93 F-150 and after 10 years and well over 100,000 miles, the wheels still looked fairly good. Currently running Ultra's on my '13 SCrew and like them just fine. I live down south so salt on the roads is not an issue, but I do live on the Gulf Coast and it is very salty here. As for price, I shopped Tire Rack and everyone else on the internet. All said and done, I got my best deal from my local Goodyear Dealer. They were able to match internet pricing.
Are you running these particular wheels from ultra or another model?
Old 01-29-2015, 09:43 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Current Ultra's are the WORX 803 Beast, 18 x 9 in a PVD Finish. Truck is white and i like the chrome look with white.

Previous were chrome Ultra 160's. Not sure if they even make that wheel anymore.

Quick Reply: Time for New Wheels - Question