Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Lag - Mod to Adjust? Adjustable Pedals?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:49 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Throttle Lag - Mod to Adjust? Adjustable Pedals?

ok, due to an accidental adjustment to my seat I was readjusting things on the way to work, I adjusted my pedals up a small amount and my throttle response has changed. At first I thought I was crazy so I have spent extra time out playing, next is to try and drop them back down to see if it changes in any way, I know that there shouldn't be any response change due to the adjustment but unless the truck coincidentally did something this was the effect, at least a short term thing. Since this happened I remembered a minor mod that a lot of the guys were doing to their stock throttles on the 05 up Mustangs when they hit the market. There was a mod where you pulled the accelerator pedal off and adjusted the small tabs, for whatever reason it did change the response slightly, it wasn't noticeable if you were tuned as that took out the lag more than the adjustment. Is the same mod being done on these trucks?
Old 06-02-2014, 11:03 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I think it may be more of a perceived loss or lack of power due to the distance change to the controls.

The pedals are mounted to a bracket that has a motor to slide them up and down just like your seat, the computer that operates the vehicle gets it's signal for throttle from a hard wired sensor attached to the accelerator pedal, no amount of operating the slide part could have any affect on the signal sent to the powertrain control computer because they are on separate circuits.

The closer the pedals are to you the more likely you would perceive a boost in power possibly because you don't have to extend your leg as far as you would if the controls were farther down.

Hope that made sense.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
I think it may be more of a perceived loss or lack of power due to the distance change to the controls.

The pedals are mounted to a bracket that has a motor to slide them up and down just like your seat, the computer that operates the vehicle gets it's signal for throttle from a hard wired sensor attached to the accelerator pedal, no amount of operating the slide part could have any affect on the signal sent to the powertrain control computer because they are on separate circuits.

The closer the pedals are to you the more likely you would perceive a boost in power possibly because you don't have to extend your leg as far as you would if the controls were farther down.

Hope that made sense.

it makes perfect sense and was my first thought, still got me thinking about the mustang mod, I am gonna go see if I can find the info on it to see if my memory is what I think it is at least. my throttle and the radio cutoff thing are the only two issues I have with my truck, I can live with both but to me both shouldn't have to be there.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:31 AM

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Thats funny

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp

Hope that made sense.

Its funny to me because a friend of mine played a trick on me .... moved my peddels all the way down , well for the next week or so I kept saying man ..My truck just isnt gettin up and going when I hit the gas ..... Well I guess they couldnt stand it any longer and told me what they had done .... I moved the peddles up and ...cha ching there is my power ..... I wasnt able to go WOT from where I was sitting w/ the peddles all the way down unless I knew they were down then I would push the peddle further ... It wasnt the drive by wire like we have now ... The best way to fix throttle lag is to go with a custom tune .. I have the superchips Flashpaq 1842 .. I am running the 87 performance /tow and throttle lag is better than OEM but nothing near what I want ... with Custom tunes you have that option .. Its really the only way to reduce throttle lag other than messing with the peddle like on the mustangs . I see where Stage 3 is giving a hell of a warranty with their custom tunes I beleive they are the only custom tuner with a serious warranty .... Beats superchips to heck ... I will say the superchips 87 tune woke up the sleeping coyote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:44 AM

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

try the battery disconnect, resets the computer to factory defaults. adaptive learning, you mostly see a change in the trans shifting. gives you an excuse to clean the battery posts and add some no-ox.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:38 AM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

Like wrknhonks said, with the "throttle by wire" in our trucks you can get better throttle response with a custom tune.

My Corvette had lousy throttle response, but Chebie is real crappy with custom tunes and warranty. So I got a Sprint Throttle Booster:

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/de...%20or%20Diesel

I had no idea if they made one for our trucks until I just looked, but apparently they do.

I don't know how we'll it works in our trucks (there are no reviews on their site), but it's GREAT in my Vette!!! I have read a bunch of reviews by BMW guys that love it.

At $290 it's not something you'll probably want unless you have a real concern about the throttle response.

A custom tune might be better because it may offer other good stuff to the performance of your truck as well.

Butt.....if you're worried about a tune and warranty issues, and the throttle lag really bothers you, the Sprint Booster really works well in my car.

Last edited by KR Kodi; 06-03-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:57 AM

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts

Taken from F150online.com

http://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-...ine-works.html

Originally Posted by BLACKOUT FX4
The Diamondbird Mod
Not sure if anyone has seen the posts by DRE23 within the "Throttle response 2009+" thread. Member DRE23 posted an interesting method to recalibrate the throttle on EFI engines, Apparently this method has been posted on other forums with great success. I was skeptical at first so I tried it on my Tacoma work truck and to my surprise, It actually made a difference.. So this morning I tried this method on my 2010 FX2 and no BS, It made a big difference in my throttle response, The front end of the truck actually raises up and the tires let loose when i punch the gas pedal. I did some research on other forums about this and the common consensus is that this resets the factory throttle setting and can be put back to factory by disconnecting the battery if need be.

Does anyone know how and why this works and how the heck someone figured this out? It's pretty cool and FREE!

TRY IT!

Throttle Calibration

Throttle calibration can substantially improve throttle responsiveness over "factory standard." Many people notice what appears to be sluggish throttle response or a "dead area" at initial accelerator depression. Throttle calibration can take care of these.

1) turn the key in the ON position (don't start the engine)
2) press the gas pedal down slowly all the way down
3) let go of the gas pedal fast so it come back up
4) turn key into the OFF position
repeat steps 1-4 two more times then start engine.

Most drivers notice an immediate change in throttle response, but depending on your driving style, you may need to repeat this procedure periodically due to the computer's adaptive programming. You likely need to repeat this procedure any time the battery is disconnected.

Thanks to DRE23 & Diamondbird for the info!
Old 06-03-2014, 06:59 PM

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Default I think it works .... to a point

Ive done this and IMO it did work but only for a short time . I think it re sets the throttle caliberation and then the computer learns your driving style and your back to where you started Because your not romping on the gas every time you drive it learns a more consevative style at least thats IMO ..... MGD I think I will have to admnit that you where right , sorry I was such a tool ..... That said , that sprint booster was one I thought about buying one but I figured if I was gonna spend that much $ I should just get a tuner ... There are another couple besides the sprint , one from China and one sold in England I cant think of the name of it about the same price as the sprint ... this one is affordable .... but sold out http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Drive..._US_2014-06-01
Right now its only 158.00 cheap enough to give it a try .. the guy swears they are just as good as the sprint .. same Idea I would guess ..
Old 06-03-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

I ran a SprintBooster on my 2004 911, and it actually was very effective. No power increase, but it definitely improved the drive-by-wire throttle response and made the driving experience quite a bit better. I was a total skeptic, but when the price (temporarily) dipped to about $200, I tried it out and was very pleased.

But a tune/reflash on a 911 runs $1,000+, making a $200 (now $300) sprintbooster a reasonable option.

On an F150, you can get a SCT tuner with custom tunes for under $400, throttle response included. Can't see paying $300 for a sprint booster that offers just e-throttle remapping.

Last edited by pfbz; 06-03-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:08 PM

I haven't spent the time looking for the process that was done to Mustangs a few years ago as I mentioned since there was a difference that I noticed, I have spent some time today and best I can tell is the angle of the pedal has changed slightly and all my foot pressure is directly on the throttle arm, this is a guess as I can't visually see a difference but feel it when I accelerate, I am a little stumped because my truck has not responded to throttle acceleration like this since new, top end speed is what I had but really didn't feel the low end I have seen posts about, trust me I have tried spirited take off and quick acceleration. for me this will just be a happy change, even if it is just an angle adjustment that lets me get response better than before. I am still going to look for the mustang mod.

[MENTION=20331]azmidget91[/MENTION] - I read that thread in my search, used it on my mustang in 05, it actually has provided better results if you undo the battery first to get it to start out in adaptive learning, however it doesn't last long as the car relearns the "normal" driving pattern pretty quick if you drive much.

Quick Reply: Throttle Lag - Mod to Adjust? Adjustable Pedals?