Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking New Vehicle from Dealer...Vehicle Checklist?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking New Vehicle from Dealer...Vehicle Checklist?

I ordered a truck late last month....when I go to pick the truck up what should I check before taking posession??

fluid levels
any dents,dings etc.
make sure all intruments work (wipers, lights etc.)
what elese am I missing... I'd like to set-up a comprehensive checklist..maybe we can add this as a sticky for other members picking up new trucks to follow?
Old 04-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Dan

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Open the doors and look at the paint there, when my dad bought his it was scratched and we never noticed it... also make sure all pieces fit together in the cab.

Also check all chrome my dads f250 had a scratch on it and he got it replaced right then...

My f150 had a bubble on the driver door down low and I didnt notice when I got my truck... so basically go over it all with a fine tooth comb... take your time,they wont tell you to leave
Old 04-06-2011, 11:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good starting place is to look up the lease turn in procedure and reverse it. In other words when your return a vehicle in from lease they have a tight insnspection list they follow. You can add the normal fluids stuff from the state inspection procedure and a couple others and have a full comprehensive check off list for delivery.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:01 AM

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Make sure they give you the Key Code card. There's a new thread every week or two about somebody who didn't get there's and their pissed and don't wanna pay the dealer to find out the code, etc. And if you don't want to have a dealer decal on your vehicle tell them then so they'll take it off then. I forgot about that and still haven't gotten around to taking it off yet
Old 04-07-2011, 12:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Make sure that one of those hot chicks that tried to sell you undercoating and an extended warranty are in the back seat when you leave the dealership.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:28 AM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

salesman should already have a checklist he makes you sign before you take possession, actually read it and check it, haha!
Old 04-07-2011, 12:46 AM

Check the body for rail dust, especially if you have a light color. If you have a dark color be careful on who you get to safely remove it. My buddy had his brand new black fusion come in with it and the dealership messed it up horribly when they tried to get it off...it became a huge mess.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:52 AM

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

If you have the trailer towing package, make sure the relay and fuze for the battery charging circuit are either installed in the fuze box or in a plastic bag in the glove box.

If you have the rear view camera, make sure the cap for the wiring plug is in a plastic bag in the glove box or somewhere.

Make sure the gas can adapter funnel is under the back seat.

Make sure the jack, handle and lug wrench are present (different location based on cab style).

Make sure the owner's manual is in the glove box. Take it out, put it on the passenger seat, and as soon as you get home, take it in and read it.

If the fuel gauge doesn't show "full" tell your salesman that it obviously must be broken, since you know that he wouldn't sell a truck without a full tank of gas.

Have your salesman show where all the owner preventive maintenance check areas are in the engine compartment. Ask him where the transmission fluid dipstick is, you'll see if he really knows anything about the truck.

Last edited by Abn150; 04-07-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:01 AM

Excellent input guys, thanks alot! Some I never thought of!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Climb up in the bed and look down at the top of the cab - I have a very minor dent in the top of my cab, but others have had much more significant damage including dents severe enough to remove the paint. Finding the damage as fast as possible is important - the dealer can charge the auto transport company for the damage rather than paying for it out of their own pocket.

Quick Reply: Taking New Vehicle from Dealer...Vehicle Checklist?