With a little guidance from here and tasca I removed the tailgate pole and replaced it with a stock non-step access panel prior to getting a spray in bedliner done...
Since I didn't have a torque bit large enough I used a 5 mm allen wrench to remove pole.
I then used a t-25 bit to remove the screws holding on the plastic liner.
Next to remove the base plate I used a wire brush and my drill to remove the paint that was acting like loc-tite on the bolts. After removing the paint I was able to remove them pretty easily with a allen wrench and a few taps of a hammer.
Using a dremel with a cut off wheel to cut off these two tabs.
Using access panel from tasca. 9L3Z-9943121-A It was easy to place and bolt on. I ordered 8 bolts part #(8) W710734-S439 but didn't like them and bought 13-6mm x10mm phillips head bolts from home depot for .38 cents a piece. Versus a dollar piece from tasca. If I was out and for some reason needed to remove panel I figured it would be easier to find a phillips vs a torque bit.
The access panel uses 8 bolts, but bought 5 more to fill the remaining hole from the original liner.
Final step before getting a spray in bedliner is to take your daughter to Ritters for a cold treat country style
All in all It was just under 80 bucks and 30min to do this. With how the panel was packaged from tasca I did have to hammer out and straighten every corner from the sheet metal getting damaged in transit. Nothing major or creased, and shouldn't be noticeable after getting sprayed...
Now I know I should have used torque bits and be proper, but time wasn't on my side and made what I had work. Panel got here today and it's getting sprayed first thing in the morning...