Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgate step & handle???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tailgate step & handle???

Hey Guys!!!

My dealer has my 2010 SCREW FX4 in now, my question is this:

It has the tailgate step, I was wanting to Line-X the complete bed, tailgate included. They first told me they could remove the tailgate plastic protector along with the folding handle, no problem, I wouldn't even know it was there. I guess not, no can do? They've offered to swap tailgates from a black Lariat (both have the backup camera), but the Lariat has a chrome handle. Really didn't want the chrome handle, how hard is it to replace the handle?

Has anyone removed there tailgate protector & assist handle? I was told there was several exposed holes underneath? I don't mind the step, but really dislike the tailgate protector & handle.

Any info would be appreciated!!!

teamroper
Old 01-14-2010, 09:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

handle wouldnt be hard to switch out. if there going to switch tailgates they ought to switch out the handle because you wont be able to lock the tailgate unless you have it keyed. plus its not hard to switch out the handles they should be able to do it fairly easy.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:41 PM

I have the step on my truck. Several months ago I removed the protective cover to retrieve a small item that found its way into the tailgate (small opening). Anyway, I found the tailgate's inside to be quite exposed underneath. There are several large holes present! My guess is that these are access points for the step mechanism. Because of this I would not suggest removing the cover, especially to spray line. Plus, the connection point where the handle attaches to the tailgate protrudes out about an inch, so you would most likely you would need to shear this off.

...You could always just spray the bed since the tailgate is already protected. Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Loo

My tuxedo black Lariat doesnt have a chrome handle on the tailgate...
Old 01-15-2010, 07:59 AM

The tailgate handles are very easy to swap out. And as previously mentioned, you will want to keep your orginal as it keyed the same as the rest of your truck.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:02 AM

I think most folks have been removeing the handle and the panel and replaceing it with a panel from the no step/handle tailgate.it doesnt come painted but if you plan to have it sprayed no biggie maybe someone who has done this will chime in.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1-Grayt-truck

...You could always just spray the bed since the tailgate is already protected. Hope this helps.
My thoughts exactly. I was thinking about a spray and this is what i would do. Cheaper also since they don't have to do the tailgate.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:55 PM

Received 94 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by speed4tu
My thoughts exactly. I was thinking about a spray and this is what i would do. Cheaper also since they don't have to do the tailgate.
The Line-X dealer in CT told me it would be $50.00 cheaper for my truck because I have the tailgate step, which he wouldn't have to spray. When I called the Rhino Liner dealer for a quote, they didn't ask about the size of the bed or the presence of the trailgate step, just quoted me a price, which was significantly higher.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by 09fone50
I think most folks have been removeing the handle and the panel and replaceing it with a panel from the no step/handle tailgate.it doesnt come painted but if you plan to have it sprayed no biggie maybe someone who has done this will chime in.
Does anyone know if this is the correct Ford OEM part# for the access panel mentioned above?

Access plate - 9L3Z-9943121A

(8) oem screws - W710734-S439

Thanks!!!
teamroper
Old 01-16-2010, 10:13 AM

I would call Tasca and tell them what you are trying to do they are the best ever !!!! 1-800-915-3141
When I wanted to install a Trailer brake controller in my truck they told me if it didn't work they would take it back no dealer would ever do that around here!!!! So give them a call they'll get the right part and get it to you and maybe save some money.

Last edited by 09fone50; 01-16-2010 at 10:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Tailgate step & handle???