Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tailgate ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 11:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default tailgate ideas

When i went to remove the dealerships sticky tag i found out they had cover up previous paint chips. So instead of just paint penning them i figured id do a vinyl wrap on the tailgate. I plastidipped it today to see what it would look like and i like it. (Fx tails to come). But wondering what you guy would go with? I was debating either gloss or carbon fiber but the matte looks good too. What would you guys do?
Attached Thumbnails tailgate ideas-forumrunner_20141029_230750.jpg   tailgate ideas-forumrunner_20141029_230805.jpg  
Old 10-29-2014, 11:12 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

How did you remove the dealership's logo?
Old 10-29-2014, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by jumpseat82
How did you remove the dealership's logo?
I removed it with a heat gun. The chips was already there from the previous dealer sticky im assuming.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:21 PM

Received 165 Likes on 117 Posts

What really matters is what you like best. But out of the choices I would go with gloss. If you did silver it would look like a platinum lol
Old 10-29-2014, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by kobayashi maru
What really matters is what you like best. But out of the choices I would go with gloss. If you did silver it would look like a platinum lol
Yea i know im the deciding factor but i like others oppinions lol. The platinum thing is why i did it. Knew it should look good.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:42 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by chadwebb2004
When i went to remove the dealerships sticky tag i found out they had cover up previous paint chips. So instead of just paint penning them i figured id do a vinyl wrap on the tailgate. I plastidipped it today to see what it would look like and i like it. (Fx tails to come). But wondering what you guy would go with? I was debating either gloss or carbon fiber but the matte looks good too. What would you guys do?
I'm on the fence with this. Maybe look a lot better with the Fx tails like you said to blend it better... The lights now look out of place or the stripe looks incomplete. But as others have stated do it how you like it and all is good... That's all that really matters.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:16 AM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

I think it would look nice with gloss black and the darker tail lights. however, the chrome really throws it off. some paint-matched red bumpers would really clean it up IMO.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by DavidKR

I think it would look nice with gloss black and the darker tail lights. however, the chrome really throws it off. some paint-matched red bumpers would really clean it up IMO.
I think thats what im leaning towards. I did the plastidip just to see before i bought the vinyl. And still need to order the tails. Would like the ptm bumper also but thats alittle out of the budget lol
Old 10-30-2014, 05:49 AM

Received 334 Likes on 227 Posts

I think thats what im leaning towards. I did the plastidip just to see before i bought the vinyl. And still need to order the tails. Would like the ptm bumper also but thats alittle out of the budget lol
Just an idea but you can plastic-dip the bumper in red colored plastic-dip. I've used the black and red on my daughters Miata and the red matches pretty close to the F150 red. You're already know how easy plastic-dip is to work with. Also being in the back of the truck it would probably last longer due to not seeing head-on bugs and rocks, the back bumper rarely gets abused unless you're backing up in tall weeds.
Add the FX darker tails and go with the matte black tailgate stripe then the matte red bumper, I think you would be happy.
This is the very reason I bought an FX4 was there was zero chrome. I even took out the AC vent rings and plasti-dipped them black so they would look better. ha
Good luck, nice creativity.
Danny
Old 10-30-2014, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by dannytexas

Just an idea but you can plastic-dip the bumper in red colored plastic-dip. I've used the black and red on my daughters Miata and the red matches pretty close to the F150 red. You're already know how easy plastic-dip is to work with. Also being in the back of the truck it would probably last longer due to not seeing head-on bugs and rocks, the back bumper rarely gets abused unless you're backing up in tall weeds.
Add the FX darker tails and go with the matte black tailgate stripe then the matte red bumper, I think you would be happy.
This is the very reason I bought an FX4 was there was zero chrome. I even took out the AC vent rings and plasti-dipped them black so they would look better. ha
Good luck, nice creativity.
Danny
Hmm...not bad. Couldnt hurt to try with the plastidip.

Quick Reply: tailgate ideas