Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tablet in dash question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Tablet in dash question

Its been a few years since I checked in on this. I would like to know what you all recommend to be the most affordable setup for an android tablet in the dash. Is there a legit and affordable dash kit you can buy these days or does an individual have to build a custom one for me? I have a 2011 XLT without the flow through center console.

If I move forward on this setup, where do you recommend I move the radio controls to incase I need them?

Thanks in advance for your help and responses.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsartain
Its been a few years since I checked in on this. I would like to know what you all recommend to be the most affordable setup for an android tablet in the dash. Is there a legit and affordable dash kit you can buy these days or does an individual have to build a custom one for me? I have a 2011 XLT without the flow through center console. If I move forward on this setup, where do you recommend I move the radio controls to incase I need them? Thanks in advance for your help and responses.
Run the control wires down by the glovebox and plug the controls in when needed then put them away somewhere and stow the wires away till next time. Some put the controls in the seat pockets on the back of the seats.

As far as tablets, I'm sure somebody else will be here to help you out with that.
Good luck.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:04 PM

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

This is strictly MY opinion.....

I think Tablets/iPad's are pretty cool to put in a truck, and give you 10x the diversity in program access that even the most expensive head unit can. On road trips, I had rear headrest mounts for dual 10" iPad/Tablet combo's for both my kids. This obviously kills the early millenia 5" TV's built into the headrests that were $1,000 each back then.

HOWEVER, to get one in your dash, this is where you get raped by vendors looking to build you a "custom" iPad tablet console piece. $600+ just for the center piece. To me that is completely outlandish and people are taking advantage of the eagerness to get it in.

I'd price out a local shop honestly and see what they can do if you're serious.
I did want to do one, but .....it's not worth it THAT much for me.

If the novelty is truly valuable enough to you, by all means do what makes you happy.

Last edited by CreepinDeth; 07-28-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's the cheapest option:

Otherwise buy a dash for a double din head unit and find a good sized android tablet and secure by making your own mount or some double sided tape.

Here's one for $30: http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-12-F-150-DOUBLE-DIN-CAR-STEREO-DASH-INSTALL-TRIM-KIT-BEZEL-W-WIRING-HARNESS-/300908071305?fits=Year%3A2010%7CModel%3AF-150&hash=item460f84c989&vxp=mtr
Old 07-29-2015, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are still interested you can check out both of these links: Genos 9" android tablet install - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

IPAD, Ipad Air, and Ipad mini Dash mounts for all models! - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans
Old 07-29-2015, 08:12 AM
Active Duty Navy Chief

Received 210 Likes on 170 Posts

DO NOT USE THAT SECOND LINK. You'll pay for the kit and you'll wait months for it and never know what's happening with it. And I think he stopped doing them all together.

I did a tablet install (iPad mini). I spent about 110 dollars total on this....... I wanted a factory look so bought the My Ford Touch (OEM) dash/radio piece on eBay. I needed the opening to be slightly bigger to allow more of the screen to show so I used a dremel to cut the opening bigger. It was VERY EASY. All I did with the iPad was attach it to the back of the dash kit and it looks great.

What version of factory stereo do you have now?

Here are a few pics:

Old 07-29-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 168 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by discodave
DO NOT USE THAT SECOND LINK. You'll pay for the kit and you'll wait months for it and never know what's happening with it. And I think he stopped doing them all together.

I did a tablet install (iPad mini). I spent about 110 dollars total on this....... I wanted a factory look so bought the My Ford Touch (OEM) dash/radio piece on eBay. I needed the opening to be slightly bigger to allow more of the screen to show so I used a dremel to cut the opening bigger. It was VERY EASY. All I did with the iPad was attach it to the back of the dash kit and it looks great.

What version of factory stereo do you have now?

Here are a few pics:

Dave, if you have any airdale buddies AT, AE, you should measure the holes on the side there and stick a couple grommets in there. If not, you can get them online too.

http://www.skygeek.com/mil-standard-...c-grommet.html
Old 07-29-2015, 09:28 AM
Active Duty Navy Chief

Received 210 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by H-60 Electrician
Dave, if you have any airdale buddies AT, AE, you should measure the holes on the side there and stick a couple grommets in there. If not, you can get them online too.

http://www.skygeek.com/mil-standard-...c-grommet.html
Ha! It's funny that you mentioned that. After I took those pics I thought the same thing. I found some at home depot that look pretty good. Definitely cleaner looking.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by tkhuang
Here's the cheapest option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6_mDcruFvU

Otherwise buy a dash for a double din head unit and find a good sized android tablet and secure by making your own mount or some double sided tape.

Here's one for $30: 09 12 F 150 Double DIN Car Stereo Dash Install Trim Kit Bezel w Wiring Harness | eBay
If I were to purchase one of the dash kits, what would be the best way to mount the tablet into it? I would like to go with an affordable android tablet and leave it in the truck 100% of the time because I already have an ipad air. Also, here's a picture of my factory setup.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:42 AM

Bump

Quick Reply: Tablet in dash question