Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sys shut off to save batt

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 03:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default sys shut off to save batt

2011 F150 5.0 4x4 Scab w/Synch, towing pkg, 40k miles,
We were out in AZ this past spring, and got the "Sys shut down to save batt" message on shutdown. This happened at around 29 k miles. Local Ford dlr checked it out, found a dead cell, and replaced the battery under warranty.
Now back east, and it's starting to happen again. I do keep our gps plugged in all the time, but can't believe (and dlr agreed) that it draws enough to run the batt down.
Gonna take it to the dlr where we bought it, but just wondering if anyone else has had similar problem?

Later edit:
My wife reminded me that we've had other problems, mostly electrical in nature.
1) Dlr replaced the power rear window "regulator?" (that's what they called it) and then the rear window switch over the mirror, after the window wouldn't close. (AZ dealer)
2) Dlr replaced the driver side seatbelt switch/sensor. (home dealer)
3) Dlr replaced one of the TPMS sensors after it started giving false low pressure signal. (AZ dealer)
and 4) the AZ dealer replaced the battery after finding a dead cellAdditionally, now the dome light over the back seat will not shut off automatically -- I have to turn it on and off with its switch. That happened just over the 36K mile mark, and I didn't feel like spending the $$ (the deductible) to get it fixed right away. We did buy the extended warranty, so I figured I'd lump it in together with the next problem because of the deductible.

Last edited by friartuck; 10-23-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 10-19-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 114 Likes on 71 Posts

Mine did that all the time last winter. My radar detector is always plugged in, and the 4 mile drive wasn't enough to get the battery to full charge during the cold winter days. The truck always started, though. If yours is doing it in warmer months, the GPS may be drawing too much juice. I wouldn't leave it plugged in this winter!
Old 10-19-2013, 06:53 PM

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a 2013 and it just happened to me the other day.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:23 PM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

My 2011 did that the entire time that I owned it. They changed batteries (installed larger batter) and checked everything they could think of. They tried to blame my ham radio equipment so I disconnected it and it still did it. If the truck sit for more than 3 or 4 days the battery would be run down enough that I would get that message. They never could fix it.
I have had my 2013 ecoboost for 2 months now and so far it has never gave me any trouble. I think that some of the electronics in the truck doesn't go to sleep when it's supposed to and puts a drain on the battery but since it only does it intermittently they never could find it. There was an issue with lose ground wires on some ecoboosts causing strange problems when these trucks were first introduced so you might search for those threads.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:09 PM

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

if your battery falls below 11.5v it wil shut down or go into limp home mode according to my service writer at the dealership. only powers up necessary to get home, this happened on my wifes Taurus and the battery had a dead cell. car acted funny till the battery was replaced under warranty and never happened again.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:17 PM
TTV6>V8

Received 280 Likes on 194 Posts

A good way to tell if your battery is shot is when you start your truck the needles on your gauge display will stay down and wiggle or jump for a few seconds...happened to my 06' and 10'. Battery must be higher quality in my 12'...
Old 10-19-2013, 09:55 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

my old truck did this all the time when it was cold out. buddy's 250 did it last week and wouldn't start for a week. if my new truck does it I am going to kick the service guy in the *****!
Old 10-19-2013, 10:01 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm on my third battery in 5 months all have me that warning all failed that battery test. Three separate dealers did the testing something up they will keep warranty the batteries until warranty runs out them charge me I guess
Old 10-21-2013, 09:30 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by friartuck
2011 F150 5.0 4x4 Scab w/Synch, towing pkg, 40k miles,
We were out in AZ this past spring, and got the "Sys shut down to save batt" message on shutdown. This happened at around 29 k miles. Local Ford dlr checked it out, found a dead cell, and replaced the battery under warranty.
Now back east, and it's starting to happen again...
Originally Posted by yamahatim
I have a 2013 and it just happened to me the other day.
friartuck and yamahatim,

PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see how I can best assist.

Ashley
Old 10-22-2013, 02:17 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by FordService

friartuck and yamahatim,

PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see how I can best assist.

Ashley
So I'm chop liver ? I have had 3 batteries in five months if you include the one that came with the truck

Quick Reply: sys shut off to save batt