Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic oil war

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Synthetic oil war

Who make's the best synthetic motor oil and why?.........back it up with data!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:15 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

the best synthetic oil is the one that is cheapest on the rack... lol
Old 03-28-2012, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by 2000xl_toronto
the best synthetic oil is the one that is cheapest on the rack... lol
Your kill'in me............but your half right.............who's the best.....everybody brags about the being the best oil.....it's the life blood of our engines.......who's the KING???????
Old 03-28-2012, 10:26 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^

sorry couldn't resist that one - everybody always beats me to saying it every time one of these threads opens up.

On bob is the oil guy forum I used to do a lot of reading. A lot of the guys over there seem to like the Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra products. I believe the Platinum is also Dexxos certified at the moment, making it one of the few non-GM bulk oils that is.

I ran Pennzoiol Platinum in my 2008 Dakota and changed every 8000km's (5k miles). Colour and grittiness was always A1 coming back out, never had a problem with it
Old 03-28-2012, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2000xl_toronto
^^^

sorry couldn't resist that one - everybody always beats me to saying it every time one of these threads opens up.

On bob is the oil guy forum I used to do a lot of reading. A lot of the guys over there seem to like the Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra products. I believe the Platinum is also Dexxos certified at the moment, making it one of the few non-GM bulk oils that is.

I ran Pennzoiol Platinum in my 2008 Dakota and changed every 8000km's (5k miles). Colour and grittiness was always A1 coming back out, never had a problem with it
I think you your right on the money with the SOPUS oil products.........Pennzoil and QState oils are some of the best on the market for the cost.............from what I've been told the new GM Dexxos oil is a SOPUS product as well.......which should be a great oil for the GM guys.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it would help to understand what your using your truck for and how often you plan to change your oil.

Keep in mind oil does a few things lubricates and suspends dirt away from friction areas. A $10 dollar quart of oil gets dirty just as fast as a $3 dollar quart. I run valvoline and change mine every 3k
Old 03-28-2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by 09blackbeauty
I think it would help to understand what your using your truck for and how often you plan to change your oil.

Keep in mind oil does a few things lubricates and suspends dirt away from friction areas. A $10 dollar quart of oil gets dirty just as fast as a $3 dollar quart. I run valvoline and change mine every 3k

Really every 3K.............I hope your using regular dino oil
Old 03-28-2012, 11:11 PM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 09blackbeauty
A $10 dollar quart of oil gets dirty just as fast as a $3 dollar quart.
Thats why you have an oil filter.

Synthetic oil holds up to temeprature extremes far better than conventional oil. Doesn't break down as readily. Provides better lubrication and wear protection. Good synthetic oil will hold particles upto 5 micron, size that wont cause wear, held in suspension in synthetic oil. A good 5-10 micron filter will take care of the rest. Sometimes after switching to synthetic oil, it will appear dirtier sooner because it may have more detergents and or dispersants and actually be cleaning the crud and sludge left behind by your conventional oil. I dunno spend 20-30-40-50-60k on a truck and cheapout on the oil. Regular oil changes are the single most important thing you can do for the life of your engine. With synthetic oil I regularly go 10k-12k + km's between oil changes. I sure as heck wouldnt do that with conventional oil.

Why do you think that Fords service intervals and service monitors go 12k kms? Because the spec they require for my 2011 5.0 is at least a semi- synthetic oil to meet that spec. A cam shaft spins 2wice the speed of your crankshaft. Dual cams on top of your engine will endure more wear on a cold start than driving a hot engine across the country. Regular multi grade oil can take as long as 10 minutes, in some cases, to reach the top of your motor. When the temp hits -30 up here, and it does, Ive seen many a car come into the shop with siezed camshafts in the head.

Thats my story and I am stickin to it.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Phyer Phyter
Thats why you have an oil filter.

Synthetic oil holds up to temeprature extremes far better than conventional oil. Doesn't break down as readily. Provides better lubrication and wear protection. Good synthetic oil will hold particles upto 5 micron, size that wont cause wear, held in suspension in synthetic oil. A good 5-10 micron filter will take care of the rest. Sometimes after switching to synthetic oil, it will appear dirtier sooner because it may have more detergents and or dispersants and actually be cleaning the crud and sludge left behind by your conventional oil. I dunno spend 20-30-40-50-60k on a truck and cheapout on the oil. Regular oil changes are the single most important thing you can do for the life of your engine. With synthetic oil I regularly go 10k-12k + km's between oil changes. I sure as heck wouldnt do that with conventional oil.

Why do you think that Fords service intervals and service monitors go 12k kms? Because the spec they require for my 2011 5.0 is at least a semi- synthetic oil to meet that spec. A cam shaft spins 2wice the speed of your crankshaft. Dual cams on top of your engine will endure more wear on a cold start than driving a hot engine across the country. Regular multi grade oil can take as long as 10 minutes, in some cases, to reach the top of your motor. When the temp hits -30 up here, and it does, Ive seen many a car come into the shop with siezed camshafts in the head.

Thats my story and I am stickin to it.
So which synthetic oil do you see a shop owner or worker.... the most?....Again every oil company brags about being the best motor oil.....so what do you see on a daily bases that works really well in the REAL world?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:01 AM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgiaboy5.0L
So which synthetic oil do you see a shop owner or worker.... the most?....Again every oil company brags about being the best motor oil.....so what do you see on a daily bases that works really well in the REAL world?
I would suggest that you would be good to go with most of the major brands. In no particular order; Chevron/Havolene, Mobil 1, Quaker State, Amsoil. I am not particular to Shell and Castrol, Ive seen ratings and reports for other weights that, to me, are lets just say less impressive.

That being said, to some extent, its like arguing Ford over Chev or vice versa. Its aan argument that will never be won.

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil war