Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sync Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sync Problem

We just purchased a used 2009 Platinum. I was messing with the sync and when I press the phone button on the control panel nothing happens. When I press the voice command and say phone it says that the function isn't available because the device isn't installed. Same issue if I plug my iPhone into the line in. When I press voice control and say line in it tells me The function isn't available because it's not installed.
Can anyone help? How do I install my devices?
When I press the phone button on the panel it does nothing.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:38 AM

No one has any ideas on this. Why won't my phone menu pop up when I hit the phone button?
Old 06-18-2011, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it have the usb port? It would be next to the line in jack. I am not 100% sure but if it doesn't have the usb, then it does not have sync. All the stereos will have the phone button, even if it doesn't have sync.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:26 AM
"Hold My $tone$"

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by deuce_shoes
We just purchased a used 2009 Platinum. I was messing with the sync and when I press the phone button on the control panel nothing happens. When I press the voice command and say phone it says that the function isn't available because the device isn't installed. Same issue if I plug my iPhone into the line in. When I press voice control and say line in it tells me The function isn't available because it's not installed.
Can anyone help? How do I install my devices?
When I press the phone button on the panel it does nothing.
You have to pair the device to Sync before it will recognize the device.

Scroll thru the menu until you come to the phone option then follow the instructions on the screen.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:35 AM

it does have the USB port and i have a nav screen. but when i push the phone button the menu doesnt come up. nothing happens.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:25 AM

To make any of your devices work with Sync, you need to go through your phone and enable bluetooth. Once that is turned on, you will need to go through the menu on the truck to find "pair device through bluetooth" or something along those lines, they will give you about a 6 digit code that you will need to put in your phone once you phone's bluetooth picks up the sync. After this had been done, let Sync copy your phone book and then your phone should work with it.

As far as the iPod, the USB ports tend to give me trouble at time also. When plugged in, your iPod goes into a mode where you can't really select songs, which you can do through voice commands as long as everything is fixed and done correctly to the songs in the iPod.

Good luck.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:39 AM

I think this is a dealership problem to fix... the phone button will not work... i can't bring up any menu to even begin syncing the phone with bluetooth. see what im saying?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by deuce_shoes
it does have the USB port and i have a nav screen. but when i push the phone button the menu doesnt come up. nothing happens.
Is there a seperate button that says MENU? I have that button on mine but I don't have the nav screen.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:58 AM

I just checked the brochure. It does have a menu button. Give that a try and if nothing happens with that you could go to www.syncmyride.com and chat with support, maybe they can help out. Sync can be a real pain sometimes, but it is an awesome feature.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:00 AM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

Congrats on your purchase! The phone button on the steering wheel doesnt seem to do anything other than hang up calls and redial, however there is a button just below my nav screen that says phone, if i press that it opens the window and then i press settings or something on the screen to connect a phone too it, not sure how it works with non nav systems, but if you cant figure it out, take it to the dealer, they can help. Ive also found that ipods and iphones pretty much suck. The majority of users having a problem have apple crap. If you are one of those unfortunate people stuck with a crappy iphone make sure its updated with the latest software and the sync system is set to NOT auto download your phonebook and it should work better. I have had no issues at all with sync playing music after dumping the ipod and using a usb flash drive instead, works much better. I would also recommended not updating sync to the version that the 2011's have, if even possible, seems a lot of 11 owners have more problems than the 10 owners as its a newer version. The consensus is that they screwed something up in the 11 software version of sync. If all else fails you should have a sync owners manual, try reading that, or check out www.syncmyride.com for more help. I absolutely love my sync system, and I also had one in my 2008 sport trac that worked with no problems other than ipod problems. I speak normally with no accents and sync always understands me correctly, if you have issues with that try the voice training feature so it understands you better.

Quick Reply: Sync Problem