Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway Bar Links Won't Tight. Truck keeps "Clanking"

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 06:29 PM
US ARMY

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Sway Bar Links Won't Tight. Truck keeps "Clanking"

So in the process of swapping my leveling kits i had to replace my OEM sway bar links with MOOG. Unfortunalty these aftermarkets won't get tight enough. I cranked them to the max and if i go anymore I will probaly snap them. My truck keeps making that clanking sound because they are not tight enough. I removed the sway bar and links and tested to make sure it was them. Should I just return these and buy OEM or does anyone else have any advice?
Thanks,
Old 08-08-2015, 07:05 PM

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Not a tuff fix .....

I upgraded mine but went with Prothane instead of the moog , I didn't want the same as oem with a different name stamp on them .... Don't forget on those that you must have a wrench to hold the main stem or it will just spin and never get tight .... If you did this part right ... you either got the wrong part from wherever you bought it or Your going to need to add a few washers to take up the slack ... Or you could go to a Pep Boys , Auto Zone or whatever your local auto parts store is and pick up a new set of generic prothane end links and bushing set , Real easy install and they work .... I used these and they were under 20.00 ... Hope you get it fixed ... UNIVERSAL SWAY BAR END LINKS 98149
Manufacturer: Energy Suspension
http://www.aftermarketsuspensionparts.com/9.8149

Last edited by GotHonks?; 08-08-2015 at 07:06 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-08-2015, 07:19 PM
US ARMY

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GotHonks?
I upgraded mine but went with Prothane instead of the moog , I didn't want the same as oem with a different name stamp on them .... Don't forget on those that you must have a wrench to hold the main stem or it will just spin and never get tight .... If you did this part right ... you either got the wrong part from wherever you bought it or Your going to need to add a few washers to take up the slack ... Or you could go to a Pep Boys , Auto Zone or whatever your local auto parts store is and pick up a new set of generic prothane end links and bushing set , Real easy install and they work .... I used these and they were under 20.00 ... Hope you get it fixed ... UNIVERSAL SWAY BAR END LINKS 98149
Manufacturer: Energy Suspension
http://www.aftermarketsuspensionparts.com/9.8149
Right on. Yea i got ahold of the 8mm end nut and torqued the 18mm nut until it was almost going to snap. I may end up just removing the damn bar and links
Old 08-09-2015, 12:54 AM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Is this the clanking noise I hear when going down a bumpy dirt road?
Old 08-09-2015, 09:16 AM

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

I'm also getting a clanking noise whenever I turn to the right or all the way to the left. It sounds as if something where under alot of tension. Is yours similar?
Old 08-09-2015, 09:20 AM

Received 3,928 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Abraham5G
I'm also getting a clanking noise whenever I turn to the right or all the way to the left. It sounds as if something where under alot of tension. Is yours similar?
Your issue sounds like the steerings stops hitting at full lock. Try dabbing a little grease on them.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:28 AM

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by NASSTY
Your issue sounds like the steerings stops hitting at full lock. Try dabbing a little grease on them.

Thanks nasty where exactly do I put the grease? I had new 3" lowering control arms installed last weekend and that's when the clanking started.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Abraham5G
Thanks nasty where exactly do I put the grease? I had new 3" lowering control arms installed last weekend and that's when the clanking started.
There are 2 ***** on the stock LCAs. One faces the front of the truck the other faces the rear. The pic only shows one **** but there is another on the opposite side of the LCA. The pic is also a pre 2014 LCA. The ***** are even bigger on my 2014 LCAs. Usually a dab of grease on the ***** and a dab on the contact areas on the knuckles will quiet them down.
But I'm not familiar with lowering control arms so your issue may not be as simple as steering stops making contact??
Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2015, 03:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NASSTY

Im having the same issue. clanking only at full turn, driving me nuts
Old 12-26-2015, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by calegammon
Im having the same issue. clanking only at full turn, driving me nuts
Have you tried dabbing a little grease on the steering stops?
The following users liked this post:
calegammon (01-03-2016)

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Links Won't Tight. Truck keeps "Clanking"