Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension noise question - level kit installed. Video incl.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 02:13 PM
SS..DD

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Suspension noise question - level kit installed. Video incl.

Had the 1.5" autospring kit put on about 3-4 weeks ago and the last 2 weeks or so I have been noticing a cracking or a short grinding noise from the right front wheel on slow righthand turns.

The steering wheel is not maxed out in this video; the noise is much more pronounced the closer to the stops it is. I had the shop that did the alignment double-check the torque and everything is tight, the kit was put on at a 4x4 performance shop ni St Charles Mo. I've had them put on Bilsteins and another level kit in the past.

I have an appointment on Friday so they can look at it and see what is wrong, I've included a video but the noise isn't nearly as loud as it can be sometimes.

It should give you an idea.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Clicked on video and got a black screen with "This video is private." message.

I have the A-S 1.5" levels on two 2013s with zero issues/noises. Any chance that redesigned lower control arm on the 2014s is in play here?
Old 09-02-2014, 02:37 PM

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts

Did they disconnect the battery while installing the level?

It also could be the traction control trying to kick in.

Hard to say without the video working
Old 09-02-2014, 02:50 PM
SS..DD

I think I have it fixed now. Yes the battery was disconnected. Sometimes the 'snap' is VERY loud, maybe twice what you can hear on the video.

It cannot be recreated by trying to bounce the front end or going over speed bumps if that helps any.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
I think I have it fixed now. Yes the battery was disconnected. Sometimes the 'snap' is VERY loud, maybe twice what you can hear on the video.

It cannot be recreated by trying to bounce the front end or going over speed bumps if that helps any.
Didn't catch any grinding sounds, but did get those three sharp clicks/snap. Sounds like something interfering with the turning of that wheel, obviously.

Watching the letters turn, put the first click at 0 degrees. The second click was at about 180. Then you paused before going forward again. Third click happened right away. I'd be under there in an instant just to have a look-see.

Nothing happens on left turns, not even a little?
Old 09-02-2014, 03:20 PM
SS..DD

Originally Posted by dosman
Didn't catch any grinding sounds, but did get those three sharp clicks/snap. Sounds like something interfering with the turning of that wheel, obviously.

Watching the letters turn, put the first click at 0 degrees. The second click was at about 180. Then you paused before going forward again. Third click happened right away. I'd be under there in an instant just to have a look-see.

Nothing happens on left turns, not even a little?
Nothing at all on left-hand turns. If something was interfering, it would cause it no matter which way it was turned, wouldn't it? For example whe I backed out my driveway today,wheels turned sharply to the left, then shifted to drive and turned wheels sharply to right after moving forward a bit it produced a very loud SNAP that made the neighbor on his porch ask me later 'what that noise was'.

Last edited by Damn Dirty Ape; 09-02-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:31 PM

Nothing at all on left-hand turns. If something was interfering, it would cause it no matter which way it was turned, wouldn't it?
Just got off the phone with Kevin at A-S. He said you and he had visited about this on the phone.

The 180 degree strut rotation is mandatory and won't fit any other way, so that's not it.

He did say that 95% of the problems are faulty installs and typical are bent rotor shields from a careless support/lift. He highly recommended a return visit to the installer.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:02 PM
SS..DD

Just got off the phone with Kevin at A-S. He said you and he had visited about this on the phone.

The 180 degree strut rotation is mandatory and won't fit any other way, so that's not it.

He did say that 95% of the problems are faulty installs and typical are bent rotor shields from a careless support/lift. He highly recommended a return visit to the installer.
Yep, chatted twice about it, checked for a shield issue, nothing there. I have an appt on Friday at 10 but wanted to toss this out for any ideas if/when the shop says 'no idea'. I know how that can go.

I'm hoping it's just an assembly issue, but with all the bolts/nuts being double-checked it kind of puts it back to the strut somehow and I can't imagine how though.

Everything was quiet before the kit though, I do know that at least.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:41 PM

Yep, chatted twice about it, checked for a shield issue, nothing there. I have an appt on Friday at 10 but wanted to toss this out for any ideas if/when the shop says 'no idea'. I know how that can go.

I'm hoping it's just an assembly issue, but with all the bolts/nuts being double-checked it kind of puts it back to the strut somehow and I can't imagine how though.

Everything was quiet before the kit though, I do know that at least.
I'll bet you get it straightened out. Maybe needs another set of eyes rather than whoever did the install.

Good luck.

Edit: Is it possible the spacers were L/R reversed? I've read about that happening, but don't know if it applies to A-S parts.

Last edited by dosman; 09-02-2014 at 04:44 PM. Reason: One more thought.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:48 PM
SS..DD

I'll bet you get it straightened out. Maybe needs another set of eyes rather than whoever did the install.

Good luck.

Edit: Is it possible the spacers were L/R reversed? I've read about that happening, but don't know if it applies to A-S parts.
A-S fellow said the 1.5" kit doesn't have a L/R orientation. I hope they can find it, just not one of those 'good' sounds.

Quick Reply: Suspension noise question - level kit installed. Video incl.