Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Chirps/Squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Suspension Chirps/Squeaks

Hey guys, my 2013 FX4 SCrew with 5051 miles on it, has developed a faint but rapid suspension chirp/squeak.

It only happens on rougher roads when the suspension is doing its job, i.e. absorbing the smaller bumps on the road.

I already pulled the rear wheels and hit all the bushings back there with liquid wrench, and the squeak still remained. I did not hit the leaf springs with anything.

But now I'm thinking this squeak/chirp could be in the front maybe. Any insight or stories about the same issue would be wonderful. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:12 AM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

I know I chased a squeak in my front end for a week. Same thing and timeframe . My 2013 fx4 with about 5,000 miles at he time.
Guys said it might be my tailgate and I scoffed.."no way I can tell the difference between the front and back."
Well it actually turned out to be the latch on my Undercover swing box. So thru my tonneau cover, it tricked me into thinking it was my front end.
So what I'm getting at is don't discredit the noise coming from the front or the back.
I squirt used motor oil all over the underside of my truck. Cross members, frame, leaf springs.
Damn squeaks, what a pia to find.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:14 AM

Didnt do it this morning because it was damp I'm guessing. We will see tonight.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:15 AM
American member

Well there's a clue right there.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:17 AM

What would you think it is with that being said. Im thinking anything plastic or rubber maybe.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:34 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Tweetz77
Hey guys, my 2013 FX4 SCrew with 5051 miles on it, has developed a faint but rapid suspension chirp/squeak.

It only happens on rougher roads when the suspension is doing its job, i.e. absorbing the smaller bumps on the road.

I already pulled the rear wheels and hit all the bushings back there with liquid wrench, and the squeak still remained. I did not hit the leaf springs with anything.

But now I'm thinking this squeak/chirp could be in the front maybe. Any insight or stories about the same issue would be wonderful. Thanks.
Didnt do it this morning because it was damp I'm guessing. We will see tonight.
Please keep us posted, Tweetz77. Have you been in contact with your dealer regarding this concern? If you haven't already, I suggest having them take a look; use this to locate one nearby and schedule an appointment. Then, please reach out to me with your full name, VIN, servicing dealership, and best daytime contact number. I'll escalate this to the regional customer service manager for your area.

Brittany
Old 12-23-2014, 04:48 PM
American member

What would you think it is with that being said. Im thinking anything plastic or rubber maybe.
Well for me, I used that as a base that dampness(water) makes it go away. So, I thought; what's getting wet while it's parked. Yours must be 'just' squeaking if it goes away just by being damp.
Drive with the tailgate open. Spray the leaf springs. Rock the truck. Bounce it. Any add-ons...check em'.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by masitile
Well for me, I used that as a base that dampness(water) makes it go away. So, I thought; what's getting wet while it's parked. Yours must be 'just' squeaking if it goes away just by being damp.
Drive with the tailgate open. Spray the springs. Rock the truck. Bounce it. Any add-ons...check em'.

Yeah, another factor two could be the cold today. It squeaks when its a bit warmer out than 60. Its 45 today so the cold may be a factor too.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:21 AM
American member

Well that may rule out metal on metal. So tight when it's cold and relaxed when it's warmer.
Do you think you've pinpointed the location?

Quick Reply: Suspension Chirps/Squeaks