Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supersprings installation suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Bye F150, hello F250

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Supersprings installation suggestion

I installed a set of Supersprings (SSA8, 3000 lb helpers) to my F150, to help level the truck when towing my 5th wheel. The butt dropped 2.5" without the helpers, less than 1/2 with. I used the furthest holes (lower in the picture) as per the destructions which mentioned to use these ones if you did not want to pre-tension the springs, thus leaving the unloaded ride height the same as OEM.

That was a year ago.

I crawled under this past weekend to check on the torque settings of the mounting hardware and noticed that the front shackles (both sides) have been contacting the frame. No doubt, this happens when loaded and when going over heavy bumps. There are no issues with the rear shackles, lots of space there.

Reading the Superspring guides, I think the solution is to use the preloaded hole, the one closer to the spring. The manual says that you can put 1 end on one hole and the other end on the other hole, to reduce the effect on the unloaded ride comfort and height, that would come if you pre-tensioned both ends.

So if you are thinking of these, I recommend using the pre-tension hole on the front shackle, and the normal one on the rear.

Here are some pictures why...

Old 08-21-2011, 08:23 PM

Received 320 Likes on 240 Posts

I'm not expert on this but if one side of the super spring is longer then it needs to be on the side closest to the rear. When I saw your pics, that is the first thing I thought was that they were put on backwards. Not saying yours is backwards but that would be the first thing I would check. If they are put on correctly, I would contact the manufacture of the springs to make sure that they correct that issue.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Bye F150, hello F250

Originally Posted by bcb97
I'm not expert on this but if one side of the super spring is longer then it needs to be on the side closest to the rear. When I saw your pics, that is the first thing I thought was that they were put on backwards. Not saying yours is backwards but that would be the first thing I would check. If they are put on correctly, I would contact the manufacture of the springs to make sure that they correct that issue.
The spring has no front/rear, but good thinking. Mine was the length of the OEMs so it was centered, both ends were the same.

I did just notice on their website that it now mentions to use the pre-tension hole up front. Trust me- that was NEVER there last year....
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Ironfist (03-06-2021)
Old 08-22-2011, 03:51 AM
BOOMER-SOONER!!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you know how much lift do they give in the preload setup?
Old 08-22-2011, 06:48 AM
09 FX4

Received 179 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Platinum_Sean
The spring has no front/rear, but good thinking. Mine was the length of the OEMs so it was centered, both ends were the same.

I did just notice on their website that it now mentions to use the pre-tension hole up front. Trust me- that was NEVER there last year....
Now they say it dammit! I put mine in about same time as you and didn't like the fit but went on my marry way. They work great, just the fitment could be better. Going to try the pre-load hole. Maybe that will also get rid of my knock when going over speed bumps.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Bye F150, hello F250

Originally Posted by BOOMER-Red
Do you know how much lift do they give in the preload setup?
Good Q- not sure though. Mine raised less than 1/2" in the unloaded hole. After I adjust mine, I am going to use 1 loaded/1 unloaded and will measure the before and after. Since I am not going both ends pre-loaded, I can only guess that it will be double the difference what I will get. Wait thill the weekend and I'l report back (or sooner if I find the motivation).
Old 08-22-2011, 09:00 AM
Bye F150, hello F250

Originally Posted by stormsearch
Going to try the pre-load hole.
How will you do this? I am thinking of jacking up the rear end, removing the tire, then using 2 C clamps (for safety), try to compress that end of the spring enough that I can undo the roller nut/bolt and move it to the other hole.

OR, do you think its better to remove the whole spring, reposition that bolt, then use the C clamp on the other end since its not preloaded??

?????
Old 08-22-2011, 11:22 AM
09 FX4

Received 179 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Platinum_Sean
How will you do this?

?????
I'm going to do it the same way as you if works out. Won't be able to get to it myself for a couple weeks. Though I would think a C-clamp would work without even having to remove tire. Jacking up the rear though would take off some pre-load.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:26 PM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Dang, I just checked my setup and I've got the same rubbing. Thanks for the heads up.

I figure I'll get the weight off the axles and then using c clamps and maybe a small ratchet strap as a safety back up, I'll get it to the next hole. Hope it doesn't change the ride much more.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Bye F150, hello F250

Update- I spent a couple hours tonight trying to compress the spring at the front enough to get the bolt, spacer and roller in the other hole. Ain't gonna happen. There is a small nipple, I guess its to keep the spring pack together. That was right in line with the bolt hole.

Called tech support, they recommend going on the OTHER side of the clip (to the rear of the front one, see picture) AND to use the pre-loaded hole.

Back outside, undid the clip (I have the mounting kit), removed the bolt up front and the rear one, slid the spring back 4 inches, put on the rear bolt, the using the C clamp, I tried to get the front shackle down enough to get to the closer hole- ain't gonna happen! The shackle is bent in shape, so as it gets closer to the top leaf, the eyes spread apart more and more. Too much for the bolt. Using another clamp, I compressed that but still could NOT get the roller and bolt lined up. It was getting dark (damn autum!). So I returned to the lower hole, with the spring moved rearward and put everything back together.

I now have 3.5 inches to the frame, whereas I had 1.5" before in the old position. I think that will do. This did not change any height- both sides are 9.5" from the wheel top to the fender lip, with nothing in the bed. Pictures tomorrow (in the light, and when I do the other side).

Oh- now, the rear shackle is encroaching on my 5th wheel hitch mounting plate. Can't win..

The pic below is from the instructions. I assume that they mounted the front bolt in the upper position first, then used the C clamp on the rear (assuming its in the other hole). Guess I could try that.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Ironfist (03-06-2021)

Quick Reply: Supersprings installation suggestion