Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Springs Helper Springs Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Super Springs Helper Springs Questions

Guys, I'm looking to increase payload capacity to carry the occasional yardof stone or dirt. Over the life of the truck it may see this~20 times. Life ofthe truck for me is ~12yrs ~200kmiles. I'm aware of the other potential issues,but it's not often for me to care unless someone is going to tell me they hadan experience where the axel/rear snapped.

From searching I found the two popular helper springs, Super Springs and Helwig. The guys who have the super springswhat kit are you using and did it affect unloaded height and/or ride? SSA5 orthe SSA28? Again I'm only looking to carry the occasional yard of stone ordirt, for home use, this is not a business or commercial application. I need it to be a daily driver that is not going to pogo down the road, like my Dodge used to.

Background story. I used to have a 1991 Doge Power Wagon 250. I carriedyards of whatever in there without issues, truck actually rode like a caddywhile doing it. I loaded up my F150 thinking I had a 150 dodge back in the day, couldn't remember.Well, no sooner did I make the turn out of the store with the yard of stone didI remember that i had a 250 and thought to myself, $### I'm going to breaksomething as the suspension was clanging and the bump stops were working. Luckily made it home, 2miles, shoveled the load, didn't break anything.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:03 PM

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

just get the Monroe Load Leveler shocks. they have a coilspring intergrated on gas shock about $85 a piece. better yet, get Firestone Ride Rite airbags.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 PM

Those air bags are pretty cool, I didn't understand how they worked until I watched a few videos. I assumed compressor, wires, controller, etc. I wasn't thinking you could do it with a hand pump. I guess when you deflate them you are back to stock ride height and quality. Do you have experience using the air bags? Do you have to remove the bump stops or can I leave them on? I was thinking about airbag failure, would be nice to have the stops as a back up. I looked at my payload rating it pissed me off, 1326lb on the door frame including passengers. It's barely worth paying for the truck at that load rating. I'm hoping it's so low because of my ties, as far as I can tell they are not LT's. I'm used to E rated tires.

Originally Posted by white08gt
just get the Monroe Load Leveler shocks. they have a coilspring intergrated on gas shock about $85 a piece. better yet, get Firestone Ride Rite airbags.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:10 PM

I have helliwig helper springs (pro silencers) from sdtrucksprings. And they work great. I used them for pulling my fifth wheel camper with tounge weight of 1200 lbs loaded and it only sinks the truck down about an inch and truck rides better even with trailer off
Old 04-23-2014, 08:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have used Airlift bags since I bought the 2011, no issues and just leave 5 lbs in bags when not hauling. Bump to 35-40 when having a heavy load on board or trailering. Truck already has trailer package as OEM install. No compressor on board just use a bike portable plug in to boost pressure when needed. Airlift are DUI units.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:56 PM

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the SSA28 supersprings and I love them. I have them at the stiffest setting and gained almost 2 inches but they tow and handle the weight awesome. Easiest of all to install too!!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:42 PM
Lifelong F-150 fan

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fx4_5.0Man
I have the SSA28 supersprings and I love them. I have them at the stiffest setting and gained almost 2 inches but they tow and handle the weight awesome. Easiest of all to install too!!
x2 on the above. I also run these and they work great. Mine is a 2010 F-150 XLT regular cab shortbox. I gained a little height in the back (works perfect with my leveled front) and no harsh ride. You don't even know they're there until you go to haul something heavy or take some corners too fast. I haul my ATV in the back (a Can-Am Outlander 1000XT with a Camoplast Tatou 4S tracks kit on it) which weighs in at a little over 1,000lbs. and the truck only comes down about 2 inches. You can install them in your driveway with an end wrench and ratchet/socket in about 30 minutes...literally. Super easy to install. The below pic is with my 2" leveling spacers in front and Super Springs in rear.
Attached Thumbnails Super Springs Helper Springs Questions-100_1466.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Ironfist (03-14-2021)
Old 04-23-2014, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. Seems like I can't really go wrong here. An old saying comes to mind..."let your wallet be your guide"
Old 04-23-2014, 10:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I'll vote for the airbags. Newer technology, and they don't effect the ride quality when not in use. Think about it.....if the add a spring is lifting the truck....it's gonna ride stiffer.
Foot note: I have not used either on anew style f150 but I have used both in the past.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:41 AM

Yea, I'm about 99% buying the airbags.

Originally Posted by stronger800
I'll vote for the airbags. Newer technology, and they don't effect the ride quality when not in use. Think about it.....if the add a spring is lifting the truck....it's gonna ride stiffer.
Foot note: I have not used either on anew style f150 but I have used both in the past.

Quick Reply: Super Springs Helper Springs Questions