Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sun Visor Extension

Old 10-18-2010, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sun Visor Extension

I'm about ready to purchase a 2010 Platinum and have a question or two.

1) I'm 6'4" tall and drive with the seat pretty far back. When I flip the sun visor over to the left, it does not come close to blocking the sun coming into my face. Can anyone point me to an after market visor that clips on and either flips out or slides out to cover the gap? (My 2002 Avalanche had a sliding extension built in for this purpose.)

Regarding the Sony Nav Radio:
2) Are the maps current?
3) How do you update the maps and is there a cost to do so?
4) Is there any way to import Points Of Interest from a Garmin GPS?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:14 AM

The sunvisors that came with my 2009 FX4 already extend. If not mistaken I believe all the new F150's come standard this way.

As for the Nav. I did not get this option, so I can't not be of help.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hot Brass

1) I'm 6'4" tall and drive with the seat pretty far back. When I flip the sun visor over to the left, it does not come close to blocking the sun coming into my face. Can anyone point me to an after market visor that clips on and either flips out or slides out to cover the gap? (My 2002 Avalanche had a sliding extension built in for this purpose.)

2) Are the maps current?

Thanks in advance.
Instead of a separate extension built into the visor, the entire visor extends on the support arm. Can't answer your questions on the NAV maps, but your dealer should be able to.

CAE7029C-4E55-622D-1671-3EF7A6A4F5B6
Old 10-19-2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Hot Brass

2) Are the maps current?

Thanks in advance.
Agree with everyone else - the entire visor extends once unclipped at the mirror end.

As for the navigation, the map database seems to be pretty accurate - we've taken trips along the east coast from upstate NY to Florida and haven't had any issues or concerns with the quality of the maps - everything seemed to be current. The maps can be updated via DVD; you'd have to contact NAVTEQ with your vehicle information and they'll tell you if an update is available and how much it will cost you (my guess would be that the updates are in the $100 - $200 range). The POI database is fairly extensive, so you shouldn't have any concerns there. Not sure if you can import any custom POI's from Garmin - never tried it.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:06 AM

Duh! It did not dawn on me to simply slide the visor on the pivot rod. Hopefully, it will extend far enough. I have another test drive today and I'll check it out.

Thanks for the NAVTEQ tip. I'll check them out and see if there's a way to import Garmin POI's.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:06 AM

Default Garmin POI Import into Sync/Nav

I called NAVTEQ to inquire about importing Garmin POI information. They sent me to Ford. When I called the Ford customer care line and got to the sync/Nav department they researched it and told me it could not be done, but they would submit it as an enhancement request. Who knows if the feature will ever be added, but the more people who request it, the more likely they will. Call Ford at 800 392 3673 if you would like to see this feature added to future versions of the Sync/Nav unit.

One of the reasons I want to do this is that I purchased a POI data set that contains all of the known red light camera's in the US. Importing this into the Garmin was easy. I would really like to do this in my new F150 Nav unit.

If any of you hackers out there have already figured out how to do this, please share the details.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:40 PM

I'm 6'7" and have the same problem. I could not get the visor to my 07 XLT to extend. Does anyone know where I can the ones that have the extension built in?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Tootawl ... Does anyone know where I can the ones that have the extension built in?
Have the following .....
Description:
  • 2009+ Super/Extended Cab Sun Visors
  • Cloth.
  • Light Stone.
  • With mirrors.
Condition:
  • OEM.
  • Used. *Removed from a 2010.
  • EXCELLENT
Price:
  • $50 + shipping *Will negotiate. *Be reasonable / serious with your offer.
Attached Thumbnails Sun Visor Extension-sunvisors01.jpg   Sun Visor Extension-sunvisors02.jpg  

Last edited by gDMJoe; 02-21-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:54 PM

Received 130 Likes on 90 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sun Visor Extension