Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripping a Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripping a Windshield

Lots of good advice on this site, hoping someone can help me. I have a poorly applied coat of Rain X on my Windshield (2013 STX 4x4) and I cannot get it off. I applied the Rain X and didn't really have enough. It left swirl type "markings" from top to bottom that is only visible when wet or with the defroster on. I have tried Barkeepers Friend, those white sponge/scrubbers, Windex and regular washing and CANNOT get it off! Was Wondering if I should Clay Bar?? I don't know if this would work or if I am wasting my time. It is so bad that if I cannot get it solved I am probably going to replace the windshield. Anyone have any advice ???
Old 08-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Claybar usually won't get swirls and fine scratches out. It will take a good portion of the Rain-X off, if not all of it.

There are numerous types of compounds that you can use on paint that are also perfectly safe for the glass. Any type of mild swirl remover or compound and a decent buffer/pad combo will take all that right out. I use it all the time on the glass of my vehicles and friends vehicles to take out waterspots, swirls, etc.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 570 Likes on 473 Posts

Denatured Alcohol
Claybar
Stoner's Invisible Glass

That's what I'd start with. If that doesn't do it then try a compound/polish like [MENTION=72328]TJPlatinumEB[/MENTION] said.

Quick Reply: Stripping a Windshield