Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel controls and SYNC questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Steering wheel controls and SYNC questions.

Do the voice commands only work on devices synced through the BT stream? I've tried a few times to play songs via the voice command on a few different devices hooked up through the USB port and it tells me this device does not support voice commands. Is this the USB port or the actual device?

My next question regarding the steering wheel controls is this... I have the Nav screen and maybe I'm not used to it yet seeing as I just got the truck but I find it a little annoying having to navigate through everything by pressing the screen. Especially when playing music. Is there any way to get the directional arrows and OK button on the left side of the steering wheel to be used on the NAV screen should I choose?
Old 04-02-2011, 10:24 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

I use Ipod touch through usb and it would work like it does in the commercial.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:30 PM

I've tried a flash drive, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 and each time the SYNC lady said the device didn't support voice commands. I thought for sure that couldn't be since people are using flash drives with thousands of songs and it would surely be a PITA to scroll through that many artists/tracks manually.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:37 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

go to syncmyride and see if yours is up to date. You can also go into sync settings and try a master reset.

I have used several ipods and android phones and they all work with voice commands such as play "artist blink 182"
Old 04-02-2011, 10:58 PM
ℳℴↁ℮ℜ@大☢®

Received 47 Likes on 11 Posts

works fine with a USB drive in my 2010, I command it to play certain songs and artists all the time
Old 04-02-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zack R
I've tried a flash drive, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 and each time the SYNC lady said the device didn't support voice commands. I thought for sure that couldn't be since people are using flash drives with thousands of songs and it would surely be a PITA to scroll through that many artists/tracks manually.
I use a usb drive and it works great. I just push the wheel icon for voice command and say "play artist or song XXX", then sync states playing XXX and the song starts playing.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:26 PM

I did a master reset in the SYNC settings and still no voice control with the USB. I'm now trying to make sure my SYNC is up to date. The download history for my vehicle on syncmyride.com shows...

BG1T-14D544-AB Gen1 - V3.2 SYNC GEN1 CI 3/18/2011

I received a notifications stating the syncmyride.com site was requesting access to my computer when I tried to download the newest update. I clicked "deny" and now I can't seem to get the update to want to download again. Can anyone tell me if Gen1 - V3.2 the latest software update?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:01 PM

I pulled the SYNC fuse this morning and all was well with the USB speech controls until tonight. Now the lady is back to telling me speech control is not available with this device. The same exact device I've been using all day. Why? I have absolutely no idea. But it sure is getting frustrating.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:07 AM

Pulled the fuse again to reset it so it would work. It appears the problem shows up when more than one device has been connected through BT. I've only paired one device and the voice control has been working flawlessly. I guess I'll take it back to the dealer and see if they know or can do anything about the issue.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel controls and SYNC questions.