Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

snow traction opinions please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default snow traction opinions please!

Ok guys, need to pick your brains.. I have a 2009 FX4 and have had great results in snow so far. This weekend I was up in the mountains (New mexico) and almost got seriously stuck out in the boonies. I am considering adding some tractions aides to my kit. I considered making some strips out of grill grates. Anyone else have any ideas about cables, traction strips, or anything else handy?? Anything better or cheaper than metal grates?
Old 01-25-2010, 11:17 AM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

have a set of chains? sometimes those help, just use em till ur out. if u have or use close to the oem tire size, there should be sets that fit snug so they don't flop around & damage the body.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Ford Test Driver

BFG all terrain K/O's had them on my old truck and they pulled me through some serious s***.

...................................just my .02
Old 01-25-2010, 01:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

was it a spinning issue or a traction issue, meaning did the tc, esc, rsc kill you or did you just take the truck into stuff that was beyond its ability?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:50 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Screw
BFG all terrain K/O's had them on my old truck and they pulled me through some serious s***.

...................................just my .02
maybe if u ar muddin or something... the set of BF Gs my old truck wore terribly. The michelin all seasons I put on had better traction, imo, & lasted much longer.

they may have good treads for way off road, but not very good as an all around tire.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kmac1036
maybe if u ar muddin or something... the set of BF Gs my old truck wore terribly. The michelin all seasons I put on had better traction, imo, & lasted much longer.

they may have good treads for way off road, but not very good as an all around tire.

Agreed had tons of trouble with the BFG ATs on snow and ice, the werent great in mud either but its an AT, not MT, everything else they worked great go 50k out of a set, was about time to get new ones though.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:10 PM

Received 94 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by kmac1036

X2 on the Michelin's. The Michelin's on my XLT work great in the snow.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:25 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by superp
This weekend I was up in the mountains (New mexico) and almost got seriously stuck out in the boonies.
It's expensive, but you might consider a power winch to haul yourself out of "seriously stuck". Make sure you have plenty of extra cable to wrap around the nearest tree.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a budget snow extraction kit, buy a come-along, tire chains, tow chains, and a shovel. With those things and a little elbow grease you can get out of about anything.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:43 PM

Extraction Kits are what I was looking for. I have the stock Pirellis and plan on BFG KOs when these wear out. I was on some back country trails. they had not been cleared in a month or so. It was 2ft on the side and about 1 ft on the road. Things were going fine until I started downhill and it was looking tight. I decided to back up, but the truck was already aiming down. All 4 tires spinning. I figured I was committed at that point and continued forward. Luckily, they trail went back uphill and looped back around. I was worried I would not make the inclines with no one around. I know chains would be best, but I started thinking about field expedient options.
Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: snow traction opinions please!