Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow Downshift - Quick Upshift?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Downshift - Quick Upshift?

My new to me 2010 F-150 Lariat with 5.4 and 100K miles is a great truck. I love everything about it except for one thing: It seems to upshift too quickly and takes too long to downshift.

I use it as a DD so I am in LA traffic which sucks and need to make quick lane changes. If I floor the accelerator the truck takes off quickly but shifts to the next gear too quickly and the motor doesn't seem to have a lot of low end torque. If I manually shift to first and hold each gear then it goes good.

Also, if I'm cruising along 70 - 75 or so and floor it the trans doesn't shift down immediately and hesitates before shifting.

I haven't checked to see what rear end gears it has but it feels like I could re-gear to a 3.73 or 4.10 to solve the issue but that can be a little costly.

Is there a way to reprogram the shift points? Hypertec maybe? I did a search but couldn't find anything on here.

I had a 07 F-150 Lariat that had 335K mile on it (before some chick ran a red light and t-boned me) and it shifted way better than this truck.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It may be from the previous owners driving habits? Disconnect the battery for 20 minutes and the drive it hard for a while.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:57 PM

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Maybe needs a computer flash
Old 08-07-2015, 10:07 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

You can have your dealership reprogram the PCM and reset the Tran adaptive strategy and see if that helps. I have an 09 and have the same "problem" it's not really a problem the truck likes to keep engine RPM low and use the VCT to pull the truck instead of dropping a gear and racing the engine. But with that being said if you go to WOT the truck should down shift.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spazmonkey05
You can have your dealership reprogram the PCM and reset the Tran adaptive strategy and see if that helps. I have an 09 and have the same "problem" it's not really a problem the truck likes to keep engine RPM low and use the VCT to pull the truck instead of dropping a gear and racing the engine. But with that being said if you go to WOT the truck should down shift.

The truck is due for service soon so I'll have the dealer do that when I bring it in.

It will kick down if I floor it. It's more of a partial throttle situation where I'm cruising along and then hit a small incline or I just want to speed up. Then I go 3/4 throttle but nothing happens and it feels like I'm pulling a heavy trailer or something.

Sometimes it feels like it is hunting between gears. If I pop it down from drive to 3rd manually then it revs up to 3500 RPM. How many speeds is this thing supposed to have?

My last truck had an overdrive on/off button so I could keep it off and

I did find out if I keep it in tow/haul mode it does a lot better.

Quick Reply: Slow Downshift - Quick Upshift?