Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sloped Driveway Equals Faulty Fuel Readings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:34 AM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sloped Driveway Equals Faulty Fuel Readings?

Morning...I need some quick advice and opinions. My 2010 XLT Supercab has been giving me fits with respect to both the fuel gauge and the computer based on the fuel sending unit/sensor in my tank.

The issue is that I park in my driveway at a slight downward slope, nose down. At the half-tank point, after sitting overnight, both the gauge and the sensor read "empty", when I know for certain I have one-half tank of fuel remaining.

It's been at the dealers twice...and I'm told my driveway is to blame. I permitted them to keep it overnight last night, and told them to park it on a slight, nose-down angle and check it this morning. Regardless, apparently the fuel sensor is so far back in the tank that when the truck is parked, it then gives a faulty fuel level.

Afterwards, I parked it on a level street for about 10 minutes with the key off, and that doesn't reset the indicators. When I drove to the dealers yesterday morning...about 10 miles, the fuel gauge then barely moved to one-quarter tank...and I know I still had one half tank of fuel.

Both times I've been told there is nothing they can do....no service bulletins, etc....and that the driveway is "my problem".

Now....we know what we paid for this type of vehicle. At age 58, I rather expect that all components of a truck for this kind of money work with only 650 miles on it.. If I'm being too picky, let me know.

But if you believe they're not doing enough to fix this problem, let me know, as I'm gearing up for a fight with them today. I've searched this...and other forums..and not found any similar problems. I'll even print your responses and give them to the service advisor.

Should I speak directly with the Service Manager? The dealership owner?

Sorry for the rant...but I'm a bit miffed. Thanks.

USAF Retired
Old 08-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Don't park nose down...what do you want Ford to do...redo your driveway...
Old 08-17-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
Don't park nose down...what do you want Ford to do...redo your driveway...
Thanks for the grown up "advice". No, I would like a vehicle that, among the 7 or 8 others previously parked on the same driveway, didn't have this issue.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:19 AM
FEs Rule

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not making much sense to me. Once on level ground it should return to normal. Have you tried to back it down your driveway and see if it returns to normal? Does it return to normal when you fill it up again or just add a couple of gallons? If you drive it a few miles does the gauge continue to go down showing consumption of fuel.
FWIW, the fuel sending unit is just a coil with a contact riding on it and it measures resistance across the coil based on the position of that contact. Unless there is a bad spot I doubt it is the sending unit itself. It doesn't make sense to me.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by USAF Retired
Thanks for the grown up "advice". No, I would like a vehicle that, among the 7 or 8 others previously parked on the same driveway, didn't have this issue.
Why don't you give us a grown-up suggestion...thats what I did...you want Ford to fix something your causing to fail...next your gonna want Ford to install drain holes in your bed cause the water collects in it when you park nose down in your driveway...wait till your back window and third brake light start leaking...you asked for advice and now you don't like what it was...good luck buddy.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by FEfanatic
It's not making much sense to me. Once on level ground it should return to normal. Have you tried to back it down your driveway and see if it returns to normal? Does it return to normal when you fill it up again or just add a couple of gallons? If you drive it a few miles does the gauge continue to go down showing consumption of fuel.
FWIW, the fuel sending unit is just a coil with a contact riding on it and it measures resistance across the coil based on the position of that contact. Unless there is a bad spot I doubt it is the sending unit itself. It doesn't make sense to me.
Thank you, sir. Following the "bad" reading, I've tried both backing it in (nose up), and leaving it on level ground for 5 - 10 minutes. No change in the readings. I'm perplexed. Yesterday morning, driving to Ford, I kept glancing at the fuel gauge (about 10 or so miles). The computer "warning" never went off during the drive, and the gauge finally started creeping back up to one-quarter tank. But I'm very confident the actual capacity then was at least a half tank. While at the service department, waiting for them to open, the computer notice finally extinguished, but the gauge itself never went beyond one-quarter tank. And no.....no possibility of theft of fuel, either.

Thanks for the explanation on what the fuel sending unit consists of. I asked my service advisor the same question, but her explanation left me thinking she wasn't quite sure how it operated.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
Why don't you give us a grown-up suggestion...thats what I did...you want Ford to fix something your causing to fail...next your gonna want Ford to install drain holes in your bed cause the water collects in it when you park nose down in your driveway...wait till your back window and third brake light start leaking...you asked for advice and now you don't like what it was...good luck buddy.
Fail. If you possibly can, explain to me how 7 different vehicles I've owned at my residence have never had this issue? Including Ford trucks.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:03 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

So no issue when you park nose high in the driveway? How slight of an incline is your driveway?

A reset PCM can cause faulty fuel readings, occasionally, if I change my truck's tune while filling up, the gas tank will take a half hour or so to read the correct level.

Last edited by GATORB8; 08-17-2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-17-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by GATORB8
So no issue when you park nose high in the driveway? How slight of an incline is your driveway?

A reset PCM can cause faulty fuel readings, occasionally if I change my truck's tuned while filling up, the gas tank will take a half hour or so to read the correct level.
The angle of the drive is fairly slight....maybe 5 to 10 degrees?

I DO admit I don't park nose high on my driveway. Frankly, it's being lazy; my driveway is "barely" is the length of the truck. I park nose down so I can judge the front bumper to the garage door so I won't have the truck's rear end sticking out at the edge of the drive (mail man and paper carrier makes me nervous that they'll bump into it!).

But - that may be my only solution. But again - no one I've heard, on this or two other forums, have had any issue like this parking nose down on a sloped drive (and I'm talking about 2010 owners). That's the fact that gets me a bit perplexed. I've had responses from owners with very sloped drives that don't have this problem.

I'm printing out those responses, and will fax them to the service advisor.

Thanks much for your reply. It's appreciated.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing happen with my '09 once when parked nose down on a slant. I was certain that someone had siphoned me, but it was in a place that would have been nearly impossible. Held my breath all the way to the gas pump miles away. I didn't fill it all the way so I can't verify how far it was off but it certainly didn't reset in the 4 mile drive. Never mentioned it to the dealer because it was a single event and I don't usually park like that so it hasn't happened again.

Quick Reply: Sloped Driveway Equals Faulty Fuel Readings?