Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip Yoke???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:43 PM

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Slip Yoke???

My truck has developed a serious clunk when coming to a stop and when starting from a stop. I have read that the splines on the slip yoke needing to be greased can cause this symptom but my question is how difficult is this to do in the garage. I am still well within my warranty but I really don't want to deal with the dealership if I can fix it relatively easily myself. I read where all you need is a CV cover, some grease and some clamps. Has anyone done this themselves??? Did you get the parts from the dealership??? Thanks for any input...

I forgot to mention I have a Screw 5.5 ft bed 4x4.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:59 PM

Okay. I just went out and took a look at my driveshaft and appears that I have a different type then what I have been reading about. My slip yoke doesn't have a cover. It look as though I just need to remove the bolts at the rear u-joint to remove the shaft, then grease the splines and reinstall. I will try this tonight if I have the right sockets (I think they are 12 pt and I'm not sure I have the right size). If it works I'll let you know.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:28 PM

Default Success!!!

I was able to find some tools to get the job done. Before you remove anything mark the shaft and the rear end so that you get the shaft back in the same configuration as it was before removal. All that is required is a 12 mm 12 pt socket (I used a ratcheting end wrench) to remove the four bolts that hold the end of the drive shaft to the rear axle. Once those are removed the shaft will fall toward the ground and then you can pull the slip yoke (front portion) out of the transfer case. I took the drive shaft out from under the truck and there appeared to be almost no grease on the the female side of the slip yoke. I squirted some grease into the female side and gently used a screw driver and my fingers to work it into the splines. Once I thought I had good coverage I reinstalled the front of the shaft into the transfer case and then bolted the rear part of the shaft back to the rear end. I proceeded to take a short test drive and instantly I could tell things were better. No more clunking or jerking when stopping or starting. It took me about 30-45 minutes but will be much faster next time if I have to do this again. I just used the general purpose grease I had in the garage but if this is required again I will go and get the Motorcraft stuff that Ford recommends. If you are having any jerking or clunking on starts and stops I would recommend you give this quick fix a try.
The following users liked this post:
WildTurkey1911.45 (05-12-2015)
Old 08-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

Is there anyway you could drill and tap for a grease zerk?
Old 08-09-2012, 06:33 AM

Yes. I saw a thread about that on another site.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah I did mine three four months ago with marine wheel bearing grease. Figured that would be best. I was surprised to see ford only used auto trans fluid to grease the slip yoke. What were they thinking.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:41 AM

Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by summertop511
Yeah I did mine three four months ago with marine wheel bearing grease. Figured that would be best. I was surprised to see ford only used auto trans fluid to grease the slip yoke. What were they thinking.
WTF, im starting to lose more and more faith in Ford.

I found Motorcraft brand grease at Advance Auto and bought some, will be doing this very soon and will post my results.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deerhunter4
I was able to find some tools to get the job done. Before you remove anything mark the shaft and the rear end so that you get the shaft back in the same configuration as it was before removal. All that is required is a 12 mm 12 pt socket (I used a ratcheting end wrench) to remove the four bolts that hold the end of the drive shaft to the rear axle. Once those are removed the shaft will fall toward the ground and then you can pull the slip yoke (front portion) out of the transfer case. I took the drive shaft out from under the truck and there appeared to be almost no grease on the the female side of the slip yoke. I squirted some grease into the female side and gently used a screw driver and my fingers to work it into the splines. Once I thought I had good coverage I reinstalled the front of the shaft into the transfer case and then bolted the rear part of the shaft back to the rear end. I proceeded to take a short test drive and instantly I could tell things were better. No more clunking or jerking when stopping or starting. It took me about 30-45 minutes but will be much faster next time if I have to do this again. I just used the general purpose grease I had in the garage but if this is required again I will go and get the Motorcraft stuff that Ford recommends. If you are having any jerking or clunking on starts and stops I would recommend you give this quick fix a try.

Great posts! I'm just like you and would prefer to do it myself if easy as then you know what's going on. Do you know if a 6.5' bed truck (i.e. mine) is the same setup and as easy to do at home of if it's a more complicated beast to lube.....oddly mine is a 2010 and only does the bump when the weather gets cold or wet, in the summer heat it's like a new truck again.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:01 AM

Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Popps
Great posts! I'm just like you and would prefer to do it myself if easy as then you know what's going on. Do you know if a 6.5' bed truck (i.e. mine) is the same setup and as easy to do at home of if it's a more complicated beast to lube.....oddly mine is a 2010 and only does the bump when the weather gets cold or wet, in the summer heat it's like a new truck again.
If you have the 157" WB (SCREW 6.5" bed) it will be different. The driveshaft is 2 piece and will have a carrier bearing in it. It requires and additional step of removing 2 bolts that hold up the bearing against the underside of the truck.

All other trucks should simply be the removal of the (4) 12mm bolts at the rear of the driveshaft.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 320 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Watt-maker
Is there anyway you could drill and tap for a grease zerk?
That's what I want as well.

Quick Reply: Slip Yoke???