Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock on 4WD 2014 F150

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 04:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Shock on 4WD 2014 F150

I was in the parking lot today, and remembered that I had heard some clicking in the front left wheel well, when turning earlier. I went to check it out, and noticed that, what looks like the spring insulator, is cracked. Checked the right side, and same thing. I have included some pics.

The truck has a leveling kit on it, and has never been driven hard. Just wondering if these need to be replaced for safety precautions? I am trading in the truck soon, and want to get it squared away, if needing repair, before hand. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: The more I look at it, it seems to be in the boot of the shock??

Last edited by egfarmer; 07-28-2015 at 04:57 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-28-2015, 05:17 PM

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Very odd. Don't know if i've ever seen that before, don't know if the level has anything to do with that...shouldn't have. I agree looks like it's just the outer boot (plastic) so I don't think your in in any real jeopardy regarding safety. I do think that at some point if left unattended dirt and water will start to collect in there and cause some issues with early failure of the strut. I'd go ahead and get both struts replaced before you trade or sale...shouldn't cost all that much & it's the right thing to do.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/help-m...114166/index2/

Found this a few min after posting. Seems like this happens to not only lifted/leveled guys, but stock guys as well. Must just be a cheap plastic of some sorts. Going to talk to the parts manager tomorrow, and see what he can do. I have a full warranty, so should be covered. Especially since this happens to stock guys as well, they can't blame it on the level.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:29 PM

Received 482 Likes on 354 Posts

Just confirming for you that it is only the plastic shock boot/cover. It's not a working part of the system, and is only there to prevent dirt/dust/water from getting on the moving parts of the shock.

Honestly, it shouldn't hurt a thing to leave it as-is, but if the dealer will break down the front suspension and replace that part for you, go for it.

Quick Reply: Shock on 4WD 2014 F150