Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter issue

Old 08-04-2015, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter issue

Well, ford seems to be out of ideas, so I thought I'd try here. I've had my shifter replaced 3 times (column shift) on my 2012. Every spring it fails one way or another. First year, the plus minus switch went. Nsecond year, it would downshift (like I was hitting the minus) every bump. Last shifter they put in 3 months ago, the plus minus does not function ever, and it still tries to downshift over bumps. Supposedly the transmission tech has traced wires, tried everything he could think of, and submitted to the ford engineering team. 3 months later, still broken, cause they haven't got back to him with ideas he hasn't tried already. Getting kinda pissed off at ford. My parents have same truck, month newer, never had an issue.

Anyone else had these issues, if so, what was done to fix it. Dealership won't give me anything when I call except waiting to hear from Ford
Old 08-04-2015, 08:42 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Shifter issue

Sounds like a wiring concern.... As a Ford Tech this is a extremely hard thing to find!!! Most likely it's a chafed wire somewhere that contacts something over bumps. I know that you said that they checked the wiring. But I know that they did not completely check it. Nor would I!! If you wanted to completely check every inch of the wiring harness you would need to remove the dashboard center console carpet ect ect ect. Your best bet is to be nice and not frustrated. When some *** whole comes in to the shop running their mouth about what a ****ty job I do blah blah blah do you think I want to work I your truck???NOPE!

If it was my truck I would get call Ford so you can get some documentation on your concern then be OK with leaving the truck for a couple days. And let the tech work on it when he can. HE WILL LOSE MONEY WORKING ON YOUR TRUCK so let him rip in to it when he can. Also if you are feeling really generous leave a gift card for coffee in the truck for him like 10 bucks it will be worth it! This is what I would do.

Any questions let me know!

-Ricky
Old 08-05-2015, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to leave my truck at the dealership, but I need it for work, has all my tools. I just wish someone would fix it. I agree it's wiring, but the tech says it's not. They last said they think moisture is getting to the computer. What's my recourse, none. It's still under warranty, but I can't expect a new truck, ha. And if they can't "find the problem" then what?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifter issue