Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service History- Used Ecoboost

Old 08-17-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Service History- Used Ecoboost

Looking like I may be pulling the trigger on a 2013 Lariat supercrew loaded with sunroof, 4x4 off road package, and more bells and whistles that I can even shake a stick at, SO excited. I just need to drive it and make sure it's mechanically sound, but the numbers are done, and the pre approval is done on the loan already.

It does have the ecoboost, which I view as good and bad. It's an awesome motor from everything I've read. Some have their quirks, not all of them though it seems. The truck has 38k miles on it.

My question is this, I've pulled the carfax and it shows 2 owners within 2 years on the truck. I know this could be because of any number of reasons, but of course my fear is that the truck is a problem child. I can see the service records on the carfax for the first owner up til 22k miles, then the second owner bought the truck and it looks like he never took the truck to the dealership, the service history goes cold while he has the truck up until it's traded in at 38k miles.

Is there any way to view the service history on a given truck or see if it has had any serious mechanical issues over it's life? Just trying to cover all bases, I do plan on purchasing a warranty, but at $1,900 for 60 mos/100k miles, It be great if I could go shorter term and save a few bucks.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:20 PM

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Having a 13 model, I would be concerned about the ac performance! 2 owners? Hmm I called the ford 800 number once, gave them the vin and they told me all about the vehicle. I told them all I wanted to know was service or repairs, no owner stuff.

Not sure if they were suppose to give it to me or not, bug they did.

Personally, sounds like the truck is snake bit to me!
Old 08-17-2015, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by digitaltrucker
Having a 13 model, I would be concerned about the ac performance! 2 owners? Hmm I called the ford 800 number once, gave them the vin and they told me all about the vehicle. I told them all I wanted to know was service or repairs, no owner stuff. Not sure if they were suppose to give it to me or not, bug they did. Personally, sounds like the truck is snake bit to me!
Thanks! That's what I'm trying to figure out. Is it because the truck is that bad? Or just a poor truck that hasn't been loved enough by its owners and just tossed aside for the newest model?
Old 08-17-2015, 02:56 PM

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Thor the FX4
Looking like I may be pulling the trigger on a 2013 Lariat supercrew loaded with sunroof, 4x4 off road package, and more bells and whistles that I can even shake a stick at, SO excited. I just need to drive it and make sure it's mechanically sound, but the numbers are done, and the pre approval is done on the loan already.

It does have the ecoboost, which I view as good and bad. It's an awesome motor from everything I've read. Some have their quirks, not all of them though it seems. The truck has 38k miles on it.

My question is this, I've pulled the carfax and it shows 2 owners within 2 years on the truck. I know this could be because of any number of reasons, but of course my fear is that the truck is a problem child. I can see the service records on the carfax for the first owner up til 22k miles, then the second owner bought the truck and it looks like he never took the truck to the dealership, the service history goes cold while he has the truck up until it's traded in at 38k miles.

Is there any way to view the service history on a given truck or see if it has had any serious mechanical issues over it's life? Just trying to cover all bases, I do plan on purchasing a warranty, but at $1,900 for 60 mos/100k miles, It be great if I could go shorter term and save a few bucks.

Personally I own that same exact truck.

2013 Lariat Ecoboost 4x4 Sunroof 20" wheels rear camera 39K miles

Ill list my look ats

1. I would look at first is put in in 4x4 high and low turn off all stereo and listen for any unnatural noises.

2. In 2WD listen for any grinding or popping in the steering wheel many trucks do have it mine does it especially during towing and it has a list of possible solutions. Mine mostly goes away with a tire balance.

3. Look for any road rash on the wheels.

4. Feel the paint does it feel likes its been waxed and taken care of?

5. OPEN THE HOOD (many people don't its fine to do) Is the Motor clean? how does the oil look? COOLANT? AirFilter?

6. Look under the truck how do the skid plates and frame look and bends or scrapes could signify offroad use. and Lastly, does the tow hitch look like it has a hitch in it? Some just know it could be somepoeple like me who always leave a hitch incase of a rear end.

If it passes atleast 4/6 you should have a pretty solid truck.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:09 PM
Concrete Cowboy

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^what these guys said. I just bought a 13 fx4 eco with 36k on the clock. carfax showed a bunch of dealership issues and when I talked to ford, they pulled up a bunch of oil changes and one check engine light for some air sensor. I've put 8k on it now with not a bit of issues (other than the two pull driver door). I was hesitant about the ecoboost at first but I wouldn't go back now that I have it.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:20 PM

Thanks guys! Looking forward to calling Ford and getting a clean bill of health. Hoping I can slow down at work and call ASAP
Old 08-17-2015, 03:24 PM

Don't sell yourself short on the ford esp warranty! You can use it as a selling feature, should you sell it down the road.

My friend that sells, told me not to buy anything Eco boost, without it!
Old 08-17-2015, 03:25 PM

Would that still be an option buying used at a Dodge dealer though? I've bought a few warranties before, but with this being a truck I want to keep for 10+ years, I'm making sure everything is perfect.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:29 PM

Nope, and if it is 38 k, you better ask ford what you can do. Make that the main reason why you are calling!

Old 08-17-2015, 03:45 PM

Of corse I read that after I get off the phone with Ford. I may have to call back, of course I'd prefer a Ford warranty, but that is the nature of the beast when buying used from a different dealer.

Showing that the truck has not been into the dealership for nothing more than to fix the trim on the truck. Not sure what that could refer to, but that's just cosmetic as far as I'm concerned. No other mechanical problems or issues to report according to what the CSR from Ford told me. Makes me glad to hear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service History- Used Ecoboost