Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCT tuner shift point adjustments?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 12:45 AM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Default SCT tuner shift point adjustments?

Just received my SCT X4 from Mikes 5 star for my 2011 5.0. Loving it, BUT, i have a question. If i really get into it on perf/tow, it runs the tach up to around 6K, and then shifts to the next gear, bringing it back to 4,500. What i have noticed, is that right around 5800-6000 rpm, the truck is no longer accelerating. It seems that the power band has dropped off and ran out by this point, yet the truck wants to go past it and hang out there for a second. This seems it will be wasting acceleration time, when if it would switch to the next gear at say, 5700, it would never pause, it would keep accelerating throughout all the gears. because you would never pass the drop off on the power band. Same goes for passing somebody. it wants to jump to 6100 and do nothing for a second before realizing it needs to go up 1 gear, and then tada, 4500 rpm, and we're pulling acceleration pretty good. SO, i notice on the tuner it asks if i would like to adjust my shift point. Is it safe to move these?? and from those who are more experienced at tuning, does this sound like a good move?? thanks
Old 12-25-2015, 01:47 AM

Received 843 Likes on 495 Posts

Your best bet is to give 5 star a call and tell them about your concerns then have them do a revision of the tune for you.
Also if you just tuned the truck and have under 100 miles on the tune it's going to settle in after you do get some miles on it.
I've found what works best is to drive the truck fairly easy after you first flash the tune for at least 50 miles if not 100. This gives the truck time to learn, shifting and what not. When you throw a tune on then just haul ***, stomp on the gas, you will have harsher shifting and weird shifting.
This was also told to me by them. (not the weird part)
Old 12-25-2015, 02:14 AM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

I agree with Sirikenewtron. I'd call 5* and have them make the adjustments. They may even ask for you to datalog it which isn't a bad idea anyways.

Wayne
Old 12-25-2015, 11:03 PM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the responses. So im guessing it is just more complicated than simply moving the shift points on my own then? i can give them a call monday and see if i can get the adjustments done. thanks !

Quick Reply: SCT tuner shift point adjustments?