Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RWD Compensation

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RWD Compensation

I have a '10 F150 Platinum RWD and was wondering if there were any aftermarket installations I could make to compensate form my lack of 4x4 capabilities in conditions like snow/ice and off road. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MGB13
I have a '10 F150 Platinum RWD and was wondering if there were any aftermarket installations I could make to compensate form my lack of 4x4 capabilities in conditions like snow/ice and off road. Thanks.

A good limited slip and good tires.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any recommendations for tires? Brand / model
Old 04-23-2014, 12:54 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

First, don't settle for anything less than a Detroit Locker. In my old IH Scout I felt like an off-road 'god' even in 2wd. (they are really very very nice - don't listen to any nay-sayers who don't know any better except what they "heard")

With 2wd, you don't want to look too much like you're "trying too hard" to be a 4x4, so, some Bridgestone Revo 2s or Michelins would work well for you.
The following users liked this post:
ns_redneck (04-24-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 06:23 AM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 2011 silverado,2wd.traction control,locking rear(factory) and all-terrain tires,and some wight in the bed,been through 14+ inches of snow,never had any issues,
Old 04-23-2014, 08:45 AM
Proudly Rockin the XL!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by STingray1300
First, don't settle for anything less than a Detroit Locker. In my old IH Scout I felt like an off-road 'god' even in 2wd. (they are really very very nice - don't listen to any nay-sayers who don't know any better except what they "heard")

With 2wd, you don't want to look too much like you're "trying too hard" to be a 4x4, so, some Bridgestone Revo 2s or Michelins would work well for you.
Do you mean a selectable locker (actuated via electric or air), or do you really mean a full-time locker? If you're saying full-time locker, I gotta strongly disagree with you, as a full-time locker would be a terrible on-road driving experience with the wheels fighting each other through every turn, tires dragging and hopping, excessive wear on tires and axle components, etc.

Now, a selectable locker from Eaton/Detroit would be a great upgrade, or a Detroit True Trac (have one of these in my 08 XL, and I love it! At least 75-80K miles on it now, no issues, just solid rear wheel engagement all the time). The True Trac is a gear based limited slip, so it transfers power from the slipping wheel to the non-slipping wheel, and does so without friction clutches (what factory limited slip diffs use), so there are no wearable components to replace. If my 13 XLT hadn't come stock with an e-locker, I'd be upgrading the rear with a True Trac!
The following users liked this post:
RES4CUE (04-24-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 12:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For Snow and Ice. Good tires and weight in the bed. Know your limitations and plan your route. (Keep hills in mind etc.)

Off-road in mud was the only times I got stuck in my previous 2wds. Once the two tires spin you're pretty much Out of luck.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:42 PM

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Do you mean a selectable locker (actuated via electric or air), or do you really mean a full-time locker? If you're saying full-time locker, I gotta strongly disagree with you, as a full-time locker would be a terrible on-road driving experience with the wheels fighting each other through every turn, tires dragging and hopping, excessive wear on tires and axle components, etc.

A "detroit locker" is a locking differential- simmilar to "tru-trac", only much, much more robust. When spin one rear wheel they lock, and they make a very audible "clunk", and as long as you keep your foot on the gas, the rear axle acts like a spool. When you let off the power, it releases and you have a one wheel wonder again. The very best differential ever produced until the modern air or electic units. Nowadays, I think nothing could top the electric units.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:19 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by nagata

Now, a selectable locker from Eaton/Detroit would be a great upgrade, or a Detroit True Trac (have one of these in my 08 XL, and I love it! At least 75-80K miles on it now, no issues, just solid rear wheel engagement all the time). The True Trac is a gear based limited slip, so it transfers power from the slipping wheel to the non-slipping wheel, and does so without friction clutches (what factory limited slip diffs use), so there are no wearable components to replace. If my 13 XLT hadn't come stock with an e-locker, I'd be upgrading the rear with a True Trac!
This is exactly the kind of "nay-saying" I was referring to. A TruTrac only transfers 40% of the power to the non-spinning wheel at best. Good for a front end, but only so-so for a rear end.

Nagata, have you ever PERSONALLY owned a vehicle with a Detroit Locker? No? Then I am going to politely ask you to "shut up". Seriously, you have no idea what you're talking about. Stick to stuff you know lad. The true lockers UNlock when the gas is "off", lock when the gas is "on".

ELDs have their idiosyncrasies and issues (read some of the posts on this forum about them). D-Lockers have -0- issues... ever. I would change out the ELD in my FX4 to a D-Locker is it would make monetary sense. You're talking to someone who has about every style/brand/type of differential in trucks over the years (Gleason, TruTrac, 2-pinion trac lok, 4-pinion trac lok, Detroit Locker, ELDs - and set them all up myself except for the current ELD). Detroit Lockers are the best differential for all-around driving for someone who wants command of the best possible traction in any situation, including on the street. And as far as your complaint about tire wear, I had 85,000 miles on a set of Uniroyal tires on my Scout II - the one with the D-Locker (w/a TruTrac in the front end) when I sold it. The tires still had plenty of life left in them...

Last edited by STingray1300; 04-24-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:54 AM

Received 157 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by STingray1300
This is exactly the kind of "nay-saying" I was referring to. A TruTrac only transfers 40% of the power to the non-spinning wheel at best. Good for a front end, but only so-so for a rear end.

Nagata, have you ever PERSONALLY owned a vehicle with a Detroit Locker? No? Then I am going to politely ask you to "shut up". Seriously, you have no idea what you're talking about. Stick to stuff you know lad. The true lockers UNlock when the gas is "off", lock when the gas is "on".

ELDs have their idiosyncrasies and issues (read some of the posts on this forum about them). D-Lockers have -0- issues... ever. I would change out the ELD in my FX4 to a D-Locker is it would make monetary sense. You're talking to someone who has about every style/brand/type of differential in trucks over the years (Gleason, TruTrac, 2-pinion trac lok, 4-pinion trac lok, Detroit Locker, ELDs - and set them all up myself except for the current ELD). Detroit Lockers are the best differential for all-around driving for someone who wants command of the best possible traction in any situation, including on the street. And as far as your complaint about tire wear, I had 85,000 miles on a set of Uniroyal tires on my Scout II - the one with the D-Locker (w/a TruTrac in the front end) when I sold it. The tires still had plenty of life left in them...
Thank you lol. I daily drive a Detroit locker now and trying to explain to people is just a waste of my time. The Trutrac is also a complete waste of a persons time... I really have no use for a limited slip that relies on worm gears ramming into the case and each other to create torque shift friction. Add to that being sensitive to the type of oil you use.... no thanks. They work okay in a road racing car for pulling out of a corner but that's it....

I even run synthetic in my locker against recommendation and its fine.... it doesn't rely on oils to actuate... its as simple as they come. If nothing else since installing my Detroit it ensures my rear tires wear evenly. I would recommend it to anyone. The truck I have it in.... a 2005 GMC 1500HD 4x4.... all stock and rocks 245/75/16 Wrangler Silent Armors.... Best traction mod I have done period. My Fx4 will likely get one too....

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 04-24-2014 at 06:09 AM.

Quick Reply: RWD Compensation