Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ROUSH 5.0L Exhaust install

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Default ROUSH 5.0L Exhaust install

After finishing up my coil cover install my buddy and I put my ROUSH Catback on part # 421248

My truck is a 2wd '12 STX scab with 400miles so needless to say everything came apart very easily. This system installs very straight forward..the intermediate pipe is marked at various points too fit various cab/bed configurations.

Only ramps were required to give enough clearance for work...however a sawzall was used to cut the factory tail pipe from the muffler.

Here are some stock vs ROUSH comparisons...I should have unwrapped everything but didn't want to scuff up the new stuff.

The Roush muffler is barely the same size as the stock resonator...no where near as big as the factory muffler--

The ROUSH flange is every bit as heavy duty as the stock FORD flange, very nicely made piece.

The instructions jump around a bit...
Install the flange..
Install the over axle pipe...
Install the muffler....
Install the intermediate pipe from the flange to the muffler....
Then back to the tail pipes.

Oh and the pictures that came with my instructions absolutely BLEW..illegible at best, but it wasn't rocket science either.

Sounds very aggressive, not sure I'd want it installed on a truck I drove all day long 8 hours/day for work, but a very cool muscle car/Mustang Rumble. They don't label it "Off-Road" for nothing...it's loud.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:09 PM

Received 202 Likes on 163 Posts

Looks good!

Jacking up by the frame gives you plenty of room to pull the stock exhaust out toward the front w/o cutting anything.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:32 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice work. Looking good!
Old 03-24-2012, 11:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome post! Mine should be in Tuesday. How loud are we talking here? Ha you've got me worried now! Any video?

Thanks for the writeup.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:56 PM

BobbyC Looks good!

Jacking up by the frame gives you plenty of room to pull the stock exhaust out toward the front w/o cutting anything.
You are correct...if it was up a little higher it could have been taken out in one piece, however I wasn't going to save my factory exhaust so I didn't mind cutting it.

jfcplayer17 Awesome post! Mine should be in Tuesday. How loud are we talking here? Ha you've got me worried now! Any video?

Thanks for the writeup.
You really can't buy an exhaust based on online video. To me they never sound the same, video vs. reality. IMHO it sounds louder than the ROUSH videos and the difference between stock and ROUSH is much greater than the video sounds to me.

Personally I love it...but I love loud cars. It's not as loud as my '05 Mustang GT with long tube headers/off road x-pipe/Roush stingers. I'm sure you'll be pleased.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:04 AM

Received 202 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Stolen 98

It's funny... everything under my truck has surface rust except for my driveshaft. Opposite of your truck.

Originally Posted by Stolen 98
You really can't buy an exhaust based on online video. To me they never sound the same, video vs. reality. IMHO it sounds louder than the ROUSH videos and the difference between stock and ROUSH is much greater than the video sounds to me.

Personally I love it...but I love loud cars. It's not as loud as my '05 Mustang GT with long tube headers/off road x-pipe/Roush stingers. I'm sure you'll be pleased.
So true. All the videos on the exhaust I got sounded way louder than in real life (thank god!). I might be getting old because, while I like exhaust sounds, I didn't want a loud exhaust. I had one on my M3 and it would set off car alarms if I accelerated past cars. My Corsa DB was a perfect balance.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:11 AM
Not Important Enough

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks great!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:41 AM

UPDATE....

I had one of the first ROUSH Kits out. Needless to say I had some issues that after just 15k miles reared thier ugly head.

The spot welds on the hangers failed and one of my hangers completely broke off creating a hole in the y-pipe.

Stage3motorsports emailed me over a copy of my original invoice. I emailed the invoice and this picture along with a picture of another spot weld that was failing to ROUSH and within 15minutes I had a tracking number for replacement parts.

After I installed the new y-pipe piece and new over the axle pipe there was still a rattle. So I contacted ROUSH again and just like that they shipped me out a brand new muffler, something inside the muffler broke loose and was creating a vibration/rattle right at 1200-1500rpm at cold startup...very odd as it would only rattle right there.

Needless to say I'm super impressed by the excellent customer service received by ROUSH, they truly stand behind thier products.

There were apparently some other complaints about the spot welds because the replacement pipes had 3 times as much spot weld than my originals.

I will continue to by ROUSH products and my vendor of choice is Stage3motorsports.com ---Great companies to work with.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:09 AM
Kickin it

Received 160 Likes on 145 Posts

^ Those are 2 great companies! Did a lot of work with them with my 2013 Mustang when I had it.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by mikeyfitz
^ Those are 2 great companies! Did a lot of work with them with my 2013 Mustang when I had it.

I've read some of your posts on S197forum.com, that was a nice car.

I got out of S197 mustangs when I bought this truck. I now have a '96 Cobra 14k original miles on it that I tinker around with.
The following users liked this post:
djdfx4 (04-28-2014)

Quick Reply: ROUSH 5.0L Exhaust install