Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - Present Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 04:15 AM   #1211
Senior Member
 
FosterChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 13
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I do have one question. Ordered my kit with Xb 55watt 5k. Should I worry about any damage to housing or shroud over time with these? Should I change to a 35w?
FosterChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #1212
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 70 Times in 38 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

When you say
Quote:
They don't have nearly as much color flicker at the cutoff
,do you mean the hard blue line?
I have the OscramSVS 4300 that I switched out with a pair of cheapos because that blue cutoff line drove me nuts and the cheapos are much less annoying.
Granted they are not as bright as the SVS but they also dont have that hard blue line color flicker
I woud like to get the output of the svs but without the hard blue color flicker line
By your description it sounds like the nightbreakers would be my best best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRub1Out View Post
Page turned; I got a pair of Nightbreakers from TRS and hooked them up, if anyone has considered these - they are pretty impressive if you like the 4200-4300k color.

They don't have nearly as much color flicker at the cutoff, which kinda sucks, but they're brighter than the 5000k morimoto bulbs I had been running.

I will be ordering a pair of CBI to compare, and sometime down the road I'll have to see how it looks with the C1s too.
__________________
2012 F150 ECO SC 157" PLATINUM
fcancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #1213
Senior Member
 
MCDavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: RVA
Posts: 844
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 180
Thanked 184 Times in 153 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default

Why did the color flicker drive you nuts? And yes that's the hard blue line also called the cutoff.
The Nightbreakers are amazing bulbs.
__________________
__________
MCDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #1214
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 70 Times in 38 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
Why did the color flicker drive you nuts? And yes that's the hard blue line also called the cutoff.
The Nightbreakers are amazing bulbs.
Hit a bump in the road and the suspension absorbs it and you can see the cutoff line (a very defined blue line)floating which is causeing The flickering on anything reflective (car's milemarkers ,signs etc) .People in front of me said they thought it was a cop inback of them. I'm pretty sure if I stiffened up the suspension it would stop the floating cutoff. Since I switched to the chepo lights that BLUE cutoff line is much better ,but with a loss of output(which I can live with).But if the nightbreakers give better output without the flicker as
Ruboneout describes I'll be giveing those a shot.
__________________
2012 F150 ECO SC 157" PLATINUM
fcancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #1215
Senior Member
 
RES4CUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Manassas Va
Posts: 6,369
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Thanks: 2,020
Thanked 865 Times in 671 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcancer View Post
Hit a bump in the road and the suspension absorbs it and you can see the cutoff line (a very defined blue line)floating which is causeing The flickering on anything reflective (car's milemarkers ,signs etc) .People in front of me said they thought it was a cop inback of them. I'm pretty sure if I stiffened up the suspension it would stop the floating cutoff. Since I switched to the chepo lights that BLUE cutoff line is much better ,but with a loss of output(which I can live with).But if the nightbreakers give better output without the flicker as Ruboneout describes I'll be giveing those a shot.
That's how the cutoff works and you will have the cutoff no matter what you do. The only thing that may change is the color flicker of the cutoff.

You may try aiming them down if they are bothering people.

I love my color flicker and I have a blueish/purple color flicker at the cutoff and love it. It's very slight and the rest is amazing light output.
__________________
2010 F150 STX Scab 4.6 3V, 6Spd, 3.73 LS diff, SCT X3 with 5 Star custome tunes, Bilinvic retrofit HIDs with FX heads, SGM buckets, flat black orbit shrouds, Morimoto 5Five ballasts, 5000k 5Five bulbs, and Evox-R projectors, Auto headlight mod, added TBC, Kenwood DDX 616 with rear cam, SGM Scorche HU surround, Infinity speakers x 4 and Sound Ordinance sub, Nitto TG 275/70-18s,
RES4CUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #1216
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 70 Times in 38 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Yes I know thats how the cutoff works,and that will always be there .
Unlike yourself,,,what I dont like ,is the color flicker,which has changed with a cheaper bulb.
Ruboneout stated that the nightbreakers did not have the colorflicker,Which is why I posted in the first place


Quote:
Originally Posted by RES4CUE View Post
That's how the cutoff works and you will have the cutoff no matter what you do. The only thing that may change is the color flicker of the cutoff.

You may try aiming them down if they are bothering people.

I love my color flicker and I have a blueish/purple color flicker at the cutoff and love it. It's very slight and the rest is amazing light output.
__________________
2012 F150 ECO SC 157" PLATINUM

Last edited by fcancer; 07-05-2014 at 03:46 PM.
fcancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #1217
Problem Solver
 
iRub1Out's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 2,158
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Thanks: 194
Thanked 288 Times in 214 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcancer View Post
Yes I know thats how the cutoff works,and that will always be there .
Unlike yourself,,,what I dont like ,is the color flicker,which has changed with a cheaper bulb.
Ruboneout stated that the nightbreakers did not have the colorflicker,Which is why I posted in the first place
There is *some* color flicker. There's a little color in the cutoff, but its 90% less than what I had with 6000k D2S bulbs and probably 70% less than what I had with 5000k bulbs.

The thickness of the cutoff is mostly dependent on the shield but with these 4200 nightbreakers the blue line is very small but still noticeable.

My observation:

(All on 35W Morimoto ballasts and FX-R)

6000k Morimoto: thick and beautiful Deep blue and purple cutoff, very obvious and very noticeable.

5000k Morimoto: Still a thick and colorful blue/purple cutoff with vibrant flickers on every surface, thinner than 6000k.

4200k Nightbreakers: Thinner, yet vibrant blue cutoff, with light color flicker - but FAR less than 5000k - there's hues of red/yellow at close range.
__________________
THE IMPORTANCE OF COMMAS:
'Let's eat, grandpa!'
versus
'Let's eat grandpa!'


Last edited by iRub1Out; 07-05-2014 at 04:58 PM.
iRub1Out is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iRub1Out For This Useful Post:
RES4CUE (07-05-2014)
Old 07-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #1218
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 70 Times in 38 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I'm hearing the nightbreakers are just rebranded SVS?
I have the morimoto 5five,fxr,osram svs
I'm definitely liking the sound of a thinner blue line
I'll do a little more research on the nightbreakers but it sounds like I'll be calling TRS monday
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRub1Out View Post
There is *some* color flicker. There's a little color in the cutoff, but its 90% less than what I had with 6000k D2S bulbs and probably 70% less than what I had with 5000k bulbs.

The thickness of the cutoff is mostly dependent on the shield but with these 4200 nightbreakers the blue line is very small but still noticeable.

My observation:

(All on 35W Morimoto ballasts and FX-R)

6000k Morimoto: thick and beautiful Deep blue and purple cutoff, very obvious and very noticeable.

5000k Morimoto: Still a thick and colorful blue/purple cutoff with vibrant flickers on every surface, thinner than 6000k.

4200k Nightbreakers: Thinner, yet vibrant blue cutoff, with night flicker - but FAR less than 5000k - there's hues of red/yellow at close range.
__________________
2012 F150 ECO SC 157" PLATINUM
fcancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #1219
Problem Solver
 
iRub1Out's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 2,158
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Thanks: 194
Thanked 288 Times in 214 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

That's correct. Nightbreakers are just the "new" version of the SVS, same thing but with a snazzy new name.
__________________
THE IMPORTANCE OF COMMAS:
'Let's eat, grandpa!'
versus
'Let's eat grandpa!'

iRub1Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #1220
Member
 
ososlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: PG, BC
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 10
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Welp, that coupon code was the kick in the pants I needed to get this retrofit going. I have had a spare set of lights and a oracle halo kit sitting here for a month or two trying to convince myself to spend even more money.
Now to decide how I am going to paint them.
__________________
AS 2" level and AAL, 285/75R18 AT2s, Fuel Trophy D551 18x9 +20mm, MBRP SISO
ososlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:21 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.