Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace outside mirrors with telescoping trailer tow mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Default Replace outside mirrors with telescoping trailer tow mirrors

If you didn't order the max tow pkg on your late-model F-150, then you don't have telescoping trailer tow mirrors (TTTM). If you plan to tow a travel trailer, cargo trailer, or any trailer that is wider and taller than the tailgate, then to be safe you need the TTTM.

But don't despair, because the mirrors are available from the Ford accessories catalog, and they are easy to R&R.

Basically, there are two kinds, with and without memory. Without memory, they are plain black, without power fold, without the blind-spot mirror on the driver's side, and list for about $350 for the pair. With memory you can choose chrome or black, and those will set you back over $1,100 list price for the pair.
http://accessories.ford.com/vehicles...er-towing.html

My 2012 Lariat had the power-fold memory outside mirrors, but for the difference in price I can "get by" with the plain black XLT ones without memory and power fold. They XLT mirrors still have the power heated mirror and the turn signal lights, so they aren't totally plain Jane.

Replacing them is easy. I had my Ford tech do mine so I could watch him and learn how, and it took him about 10 minutes per side. First he removed a plastic snap-in cover over a screw in the armrest, then removed that screw and the screws at the bottom of the door panel. Then the door panel raises up over the doorlock **** so he could get to the wiring harness that plugs into the back of the mirror. With the door panel out of the way, unplug the mirror wiring harness, and remove three nuts that hold the mirrors to the door. Wiggle the mirror assembly and pull it away from the door.

The new TTTM plugs back onto the doorframe, then you replace the three nuts, plug in the wiring harness, replace the door panel, and you're done with that side. Repeat for the other side.

I was worried about the plug on the wiring harness maybe needing an adaptor to plug the Lariat wiring harness into the XLT mirror, but it's plug-n-play. The memory/power fold (Lariat) wiring harness plugs into the non-memory (XLT) mirror with no problem. And the power mirrors work fine after the change. But of course they no longer power fold and no longer have memory.

Now I can safely see around my 7x14 cargo trailer, and I could probably even see pretty good around an 8-foot wide cargo trailer or TT. I'm not planning on towing a max-legal-width 104" wide trailer, so I'll let someone else worry about that.
The following users liked this post:
KILOFINAL (05-13-2013)
Old 01-21-2012, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I only tow a 5x10 landscape trailer with mowers or my quad on it, I added the tow mirrors just for extra visibility. The difference is night and day and I wouldn't have another truck without them. The install is super easy, I used a video on youtube to help me and it took less than 1 hour to do both sides.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Or, use the **** custom fit tow mirrors that fit on over the standard power fold mirrors. I saw that Platinum_Sean uses those with his fifth wheel. I was able to pick up a pair from Amazon for $47, I'll be checking them out next week. This way you get to retain the power fold option.
I bet the factory tow mirrors give a little better view, but the ***** seem to have good reviews as an alternative.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Default Pics

Here three pics of my driver's side installed. First shows the mirror side when manually extended out. Then from the front of the truck telescoped out and then in.
Attached Images    
Old 01-21-2012, 01:16 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

i tow a 25' and prefer to NOT have the tow mirrors. too big for anything under 35' imho.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Originally Posted by jcain
i tow a 25' and prefer to NOT have the tow mirrors. too big for anything under 35' imho.
It's not the length of the trailer - it's the width. My 7x14 cargo trailer is only 14' foot long (plus hitch), but I can't see far enough around it with the stock mirrors to safely change lanes when in heavy traffic.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:37 PM

my 25' is 8' wide...
Old 01-21-2012, 01:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not just get these? They're cheaper.

http://www.am-autoparts.com/2009/For...46/511989.html
Old 01-21-2012, 01:43 PM

Attached Thumbnails Replace outside mirrors with telescoping trailer tow mirrors-trailer.jpg  
Old 01-21-2012, 01:58 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 10-Ford
Or, use the **** custom fit tow mirrors that fit on over the standard power fold mirrors. I saw that Platinum_Sean uses those with his fifth wheel. I was able to pick up a pair from Amazon for $47, I'll be checking them out next week. This way you get to retain the power fold option.
I bet the factory tow mirrors give a little better view, but the ***** seem to have good reviews as an alternative.
I use these; they're great for the price. Look decent too.

Quick Reply: Replace outside mirrors with telescoping trailer tow mirrors