Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Factory Sub?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Factory Sub?

Hello Everyone! I've ordered a 2010 FX4 SCREW with the sony nav system. I know the sub is located underneath the back seat and eats up a sizable portion of the "flat floor" when the seats are folded up. Is there a way the sub can be easily and temporarily removed if you need to load something in the back seat? Thanks!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:14 PM

A point of clarification...
I do not want to permanently remove the subwoofer. I am only wondering if it can be easily done if I need to load something in the back seat.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can take a look tomorrow if the weather cooperates. It may not be 100% straight forard, because I do know that the amp is also mounted behind/under the sub, so there are probably wires to worry about. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:35 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I almost lost a socket wrench to the magnet on that subwoofer.

I exaggerate, but the magnetic pull almost yanked the socket out of my hand when I started to experiment with subwoofer location. After feeling the pull of that magnet, I stopped my experiment. I didn't even loosen the hold down bolt. I wonder if you need brass sockets to untighten that bolt.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:39 PM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

It's held in place with a bracket and couple of bolts (going off memory).

Nothing is stopping you from making a quick disconnect link but otherwise, removing the factory sub can be done at somewhat of an inconvenience for each occurence.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:40 PM

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by itsallgood65
A point of clarification...
I do not want to permanently remove the subwoofer. I am only wondering if it can be easily done if I need to load something in the back seat.
If it was to be removed permeantly for a full flat floor, what would be the deference in sound? Thanks
Old 06-10-2011, 11:14 PM

You (just?) ordered a 2010???

My 2011 Lariat has the Sony Nav system. I got fed-up with the sub after a week and pulled it out. It was a piece of cake to remove:

1) Pop off two trim pieces that cover the two front bolts.

2) Remove the front two bolts and a third bolt on a rear bracket.

3) Tip it up a bit, and disconnect the cable (there's a locking clip you need to depress ... as usual)

After removing it, I ...

4) Stuffed the connector through the hole in the carpet (to keep it from flopping around and getting damaged)

5) Re-installed all the bolts (so that I wouldn't loose them)

6) Snapped the trim pieces back onto the front two bolts (seem to recall that I had to put 2-3 washers under the front two bolts so that the stick-up far enough for the trim pieces to snap back onto them ... you'll see what I mean when you get there)

Regarding the resulting sound quality ... it's still pretty crappy (thanks to the Sony amp) but MUCH, MUCH better than with the sub (which has waaaay too much distortion to be of any value).

As an alternative to removing the sub, you can partially fill the cabinet with pillow filling (you will find instructions for this by searching this forum). While I did not try this mod, I can believe it helps. For me though, even with the sub removed I find that there is sufficient bass (for my tastes) and what's more, I really like getting the floor space back.

BTW ... just going from memory ... I believe I set the Bass setting to about -3, and the Treble setting to -1 or -2. Also set the Fade to -1 (towards the rear).

A note regarding steenbag's comment about the amp ... on the 2010 models, there is an amp bolted to the subwoofer cabinet; but the subwoofer and amp are all one assembly. On the 2011 model, there is no amp visible (not sure if it's now inside the cabinet, or if it has been re-located somewhere else).
Old 06-11-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by viking2011
You (just?) ordered a 2010???
This is an old post. The post is from Feb 2010. So he prolly had just ordered a 2010.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:53 PM

D'oh

Quick Reply: Removing Factory Sub?