Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Window Replacement: Fixed to Slider

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:29 AM

Received 222 Likes on 151 Posts

Default Rear Window Replacement: Fixed to Slider

Just wondered if anyone had replaced their fixed rear window with an aftermarket (manual) slider yet, and what the cost might run.

I got a quote from a local glass dealer here in Cincinnati of $470, which seems a bit high. Suggestions?

Thx-Bubba
Old 06-17-2009, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do know the Sliders cost more than fixed glass but I'm not sure how much more. What shop in Cincy did you contact?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$470 sounds way too high, but then what do i know?

I'd prefer a manual slider to the power slider that came with it. How would I do that?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:40 PM
@jverderber1

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Ebay has the manual slider for $240 and im pretty sure its held in by a seal and some bolts
Old 06-17-2009, 02:51 PM

You may be able to find the window on ebay but add the cost for shipping to that and hope it doesn't arrive cracked.

I would highly recommend allowing a professional install the window as they have the proper tools/experience to do the job right. You don't want to bust your old window when trying to remove it and ending up having leaks in your new window down the road would suck.

Just my 2 pennies
Old 06-17-2009, 09:54 PM
@jverderber1

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jrod82
You may be able to find the window on ebay but add the cost for shipping to that and hope it doesn't arrive cracked.

I would highly recommend allowing a professional install the window as they have the proper tools/experience to do the job right. You don't want to bust your old window when trying to remove it and ending up having leaks in your new window down the road would suck.

Just my 2 pennies
Yea so would I but I was talking to the guy who was selling window and he was telling me how easy it was to do and he also told me shipping was free. On the other hand it would probably be better to get a professional install to save myself from all the potential problems but its something I want to look in to in the near future so ill do some more research.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:31 AM

along these lines, has anyone seen a limo kit. I would perfer to have the entire back window roll down similar to the old big body broncos
Old 10-30-2009, 08:06 AM
New Owner

Ok, this answer isn't F-150 specific... but I can't imagine that the process is much (of any) different.

I replaced the back glass in my Ford Ranger a few years ago with a manual slider model I got from JC Whitney. If I remember, the cost wasn't much over $150, because I wasn't all that well off financially at the time. I don't think I could have afforded anything much more than that.

Anyway... the installation was simple, and there were no bolts or screws involved. You simply pushed one corner of the glass & its rubber seal out of the channel (very carefully, so you didnt break the glass)... and the whole thing would then come right out. It was only held in by the rubber seal itself.

My initial thought was that I couldn't believe how simple it would be for theives to break into the cab of my truck to steal whatever they wanted.

Anyway, installation was the reverse, and was much simpler with an additional pair of hands. Simply get the thing lined up, and then lift & press that final corner into its place in the channel.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wondering this myself. Tasca has a manual and power sliding rear glass.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...subcat3=143324

I'm wondering though if it's the actual power glass that comes from the factory? Or how much it would cost to get the heated power glass out of the '10 with the switch on the overhead console. It's one of my main regrets in not getting with this truck.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Ford/Mazda Parts guy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeltn
along these lines, has anyone seen a limo kit. I would perfer to have the entire back window roll down similar to the old big body broncos
That would be cool but I have not seen someone do it yet on the 09-current yet.

Originally Posted by ATCguy
Ok, this answer isn't F-150 specific... but I can't imagine that the process is much (of any) different.

I replaced the back glass in my Ford Ranger a few years ago with a manual slider model I got from JC Whitney. If I remember, the cost wasn't much over $150, because I wasn't all that well off financially at the time. I don't think I could have afforded anything much more than that.

Anyway... the installation was simple, and there were no bolts or screws involved. You simply pushed one corner of the glass & its rubber seal out of the channel (very carefully, so you didnt break the glass)... and the whole thing would then come right out. It was only held in by the rubber seal itself.

My initial thought was that I couldn't believe how simple it would be for theives to break into the cab of my truck to steal whatever they wanted.

Anyway, installation was the reverse, and was much simpler with an additional pair of hands. Simply get the thing lined up, and then lift & press that final corner into its place in the channel.
It is not tough to install them,just time consuming,but you are on the right track for a swap.

Originally Posted by SFCFX4
I was wondering this myself. Tasca has a manual and power sliding rear glass.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...subcat3=143324

I'm wondering though if it's the actual power glass that comes from the factory? Or how much it would cost to get the heated power glass out of the '10 with the switch on the overhead console. It's one of my main regrets in not getting with this truck.
There is a add-on accessory power slider that comes with everything to add it and there is the oem one which just comes with the back glass.

I agree on not getting the back heated glass.....I wish I would have gotten it.

Quick Reply: Rear Window Replacement: Fixed to Slider