Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear window leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 11:15 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Rear window leak

So, it has been raining all day and I looked up in the rear view on the way home tonight and noticed the headliner was wet in the passenger rear corner. When I got home, that looked like the only place. So, I get online and search and see there are issues with the 3rd brake light and sometimes the window seal leaking.

I was thinking that it couldn't be the 3rd brake light because it didn't appear wet anywhere else and I didn't see any water dripping anywhere else. So, after dinner I went out to pull it into the garage to look at it some more and now I have some water that had dripped in the center of the headliner down on the seat.

So, I am wondering if it might be the 3rd brake light. I got in the bed and looked and the 3rd brake light was full of condensation.

So, I am going to start there and give it a try. I am well out of warranty so going to try a fix myself without going to the dealer first. If I understand correctly, it is just silicone around where the original seal is, and silicone around the top of the light? I am not missing anything am I? Seems simple enough. Would it make sense to get a new gasket from the dealer or just silicone?

I would be lucky if it was just the light and it came in and ran down the headliner and pooled in the passenger side corner and wasn't leaking in that corner too. Guess we'll see.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2015, 12:22 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

My truck is at the dealer right now for this problem. I thought mine might be the third brake light as well, but when I looked it was completely dry inside. Dealer called me an hour ago saying it was the entire rear window (single glass) that needed to be resealed. $300 fix on a truck that is barely 3.5 years old. Hope the third brake light is your only issue! But if it doesn't solve your problem, consider you back window seal.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:02 PM

Default Rear window leak

Going to start with the brake light first as that will be the cheapest attempt. Will try and see if the dealer carries a new gasket or will just silicone it good. There was alot of moisture in the light.

If not, will take it to the dealer or a glass shop to have the seam replaced.

Good luck.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:12 PM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Default Rear window leak

It is most likely the 3rd brake light.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine leaked and it all ran to the passenger side. Replaced with a recon 3rd brake light for less than $90. They wanted $230 for a new OEM light.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:46 PM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Default Rear window leak

I took mine off, cleaned it real good...both light side and truck side.

Ran a bead of good silicone caulk and pit it back together.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:07 PM

Default Rear window leak

I first noticed it on the passenger side too. Later last night when I pulled it in to investigate further it was doing on the center of the rear seat in the middle by the slider. Fortunately no wet carpet or seats. I got the seats in time.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:49 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I would fold the back seats down and make sure the carpet in back is okay. That's where mine got the brunt of it. Unfortunately, it also got by entire back carpet soaked and filled up the wire channels entirely with water on both sides before I noticed it. Took a few hours to unbolt the back seat and remove the plastics and carpet to let it all dry for a couple days. Definitely didn't want to deal with mold for the next 10 years!
Old 07-09-2015, 06:34 PM

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Water will find the low spot regardless. Unless your parked on a completely level surface it's kind of hard to troubleshoot the leaking dilemma. Very widely know issue with 3rd brake light leaks. Knock on wood my 12 hasn't had any yet.

On my previous truck a 99 Ranger it eventually developed a leak from the 3rd brake light, the housing gasket had dry rotted and developed a few cracks letting water into the rear cab area.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:37 PM

Default Rear window leak

Sorry I should probaly know this but should I remove the old gasket before putting the silicone down or should i put it over the old gasket? Thanks for your help.

I can see how water could get in easily had how the light had water in the bottom of it.
Attached Thumbnails Rear window leak-1436484892691.jpg   Rear window leak-1436484924292.jpg  

Quick Reply: Rear window leak