Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear view camera harness cut

Old 02-19-2017, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear view camera harness cut

I have parked my truck at San Jose airport parking for a few days. When returned camera was not working I got a message: camera is not available, contact your dealership. I have looked around the truck and noticed the tailgate harness was cut between the tailgate and bumper. The side tailgate cables were unhooked too. Some people said they might tried to steal the entire tailgate.
Does anyone knows the PN for this harness? It is a 2013 F150 Platinum with navigation and backup camera in the center console. How complex a DIY replacement would be? What would be the best option to repair the harness if the new is too expensive?
Really appreciate any help
Thank you
Jozsef
Old 02-19-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 403 Likes on 327 Posts

I'm not familiar with the cable, but are the wires able to just be spliced together?

Are they single conductor type and can enough slack be worked.
The following users liked this post:
Jozsef (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2jhanna
I'm not familiar with the cable, but are the wires able to just be spliced together?

Are they single conductor type and can enough slack be worked.
Thanks. I was thinking of that too although there is not much space between the tailgate and body. Also i was worried the joints would make the entire harness too fat and would not slide through the hole in the body when opening and closing the tailgate. There are 6 cables to be connected
Old 02-19-2017, 07:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure how many wires are there but there was a quarter sized bundle if I remember correctly. You could get a new harness, which I would probably do eventually. But in the meantime, I would buy some heat shrink tubing and solder the wires back together one by one. Problem is, the solder will make a stiff point in the wire and may deteriorate after so long as it doesn't flex like they will need to when opening and closing the tail gate.

According to this thread, the connector for the tail gate is above the spare tire.
Jozsef (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 09:35 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

That sucks! Someone was surely trying to steal it. How they didn't get it at that point is beyond me.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 579 Likes on 296 Posts

personally I would avoid splicing and just buy a new harness. Not sure about the specifics of how it connects, but I do know the camera plugs into the harness and the harness plugs into the console at some point. Shouldn't be incredibly difficult. I think the hardest part would be routing the new harness and getting behind the head unit.

A little arduous, but not really that difficult.
Jozsef (02-21-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 05:37 PM

Received 403 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by tland4
personally I would avoid splicing and just buy a new harness. Not sure about the specifics of how it connects, but I do know the camera plugs into the harness and the harness plugs into the console at some point. Shouldn't be incredibly difficult. I think the hardest part would be routing the new harness and getting behind the head unit.

A little arduous, but not really that difficult.
If you read the thread link in post #4, it's just a short cable to just under the rear of the bed.
Jozsef (02-21-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 06:04 PM

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

The short harness that goes from the camera through the tail gate and connects to the main harness under the truck is - BL3Z-14A411-A. Picture is courtesy of tascaparts.com and lists for $34.78 from them.
Attached Images  
The following 3 users liked this post by Merlyn:
ji603 (02-21-2017), Jozsef (02-21-2017), MrLunchbox (02-20-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Merlyn
The short harness that goes from the camera through the tail gate and connects to the main harness under the truck is - BL3Z-14A411-A. Picture is courtesy of tascaparts.com and lists for $34.78 from them.
Thank you. I have ordered it. Will keep you posted. How did you get the PN? Is there a wiring diagram that can be downloaded for future ref?
Old 02-21-2017, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by jhelrey
That sucks! Someone was surely trying to steal it. How they didn't get it at that point is beyond me.
Yeap, it sucks. But hey could have been worse right? Lessons learnt lock the gate. BTW can i install an electric lock on the gate too. It is only mechanical and have to use key.

Search this Thread